Winter 2021 LC Thread—I Want Sous Vide

** the algorithms nerd in me wants to opine **

the pagerank algorithm works well for a network of content that’s at least moderately curated. for example, it still works amazingly well on wikipedia, although i will concede today’s PR likely does not even resemble what brin/page originally published.

of course, it works a lot less well when the content is there to compete with other content, which overlaps with a lot of content on mobile phone (because lol telecom industry really). another example is searches caused by some viral news item, users simply want to know what a large number of people just searched for.

/pagerank

I’m not sure if I just noticed but google on my phone now shows me trending searches.

Apparently people right at this moment are very interested in “nba 2k22 update 1.05 patch notes” and “chevrolet performance crate engines”. Cool.

Herman Munster shoe update:

Not going with the top vote, going with the Ombre Blue/Provincial Blue

I like the actual vote winner, but with soles this thick I really think it needs a splash of color on it.

2 Likes

Should have gone Persimmon Orange/Fiesta. You’re never going to date a stripper with those lame colors.

Ha! I had my stripper run. Glad to be through that and have had 3 years of happy marriage (married for 11).

2 Likes

https://www.amazon.com/USB-Flash-Portable-Drives-2000GB/dp/B098B1KBGV/ref=sr_1_8

Lol Amazon - proudly featuring these 2TB thumb drive as “Sponsored” when you search for “thumb drive”. Let’s check the reviews:

Still taking that sweet sweet sponsor money though.

You’re doing it backwards imo. Do drugs but don’t take tests.

And if you’re going to take any tests, might as well get a high score…

1 Like

Good lord.

This came up in my iPhone feed today!

1 Like

I’ve seen Asians pull off this look somehow

4 Likes

Yeah, but no one sings songs about those men’s shoes.

3 Likes

So far I’ve been relatively unscathed by all these alleged “supply-chain” problems but my Amazon package that was “out for delivery” yesterday never showed up and now it says:

delay

THANKS JOE BIDEN

1 Like

https://twitter.com/RT_com/status/1451213191657271296

Give this man a substack!

2 Likes

Based on my experience, once you get that notice, it’s 1 in 3 you ever get your package.

Several years ago I got my money back for a lost package but then later Amazon was nah, we need to get paid so I got no package and was out $50.

But guys it says “most late packages arrive within a day” and they wouldn’t say that if it weren’t true!

Also, “out for delivery” yesterday obviously has to mean the package exists somewhere in the material universe. Right? RIGHT?

Had a package take so long Amazon said I could get a refund but it may still be delivered. Got the refund and then the next morning said that delivery was attempted but refused. Had to reorder item and waiting again.

My crazy buddy bought an LOL $500 cat tree. It was so big it had to be special delivered by a guy with a forklift. Never showed up. He called and complained. They rescheduled and showed up with the original and the replacement, insisted on leaving both items, no extra charge.

Brag: TheDuker got a free $500 cat tree, cat loves it.
Beat: TheDuker had to rent a uhaul truck to transport it.

7 Likes

My brother had a shed delivered, the dimensions were off by six inches and couldn’t fit where he wanted it, he called and told them to come get it. They refunded his money, never sent anyone to come get it, he made the shed work. Was like $800, they apparently didn’t care.

1 Like