Winter 2021 LC Thread—I Want Sous Vide

that’s my point, thought, it’s totally post hoc. but the second is also a fundamentally arbitrary division of time. at least a day has some natural justification, even if the rotational period of the earth doesn’t remain constant forever.

as far of the meter goes, they could have defined that based off of the kilogram (some amount of palladium iirc), and relationship between volume and weight of water. no need to cesium involved.

ETA, look at this bullshit:

The kilogram (also kilogramme [1]) is the base unit of mass in the International System of Units (SI), the metric system, having the unit symbol kg . It is a widely used measure in science, engineering and commerce worldwide, and is often simply called a kilo colloquially.

The kilogram was originally defined in 1795 as the mass of one litre of water. Modern superseding definitions of a kilogram agree with this original definition to within 30 parts per million. In 1799, the platinum Kilogramme des Archives replaced it as the standard of mass. In 1889, a cylinder of platinum-iridium, the International Prototype of the Kilogram (IPK) became the standard of the unit of mass for the metric system and remained so until 2019.[2] The kilogram was the last of the SI units to be defined by a physical artefact.

The kilogram is now defined in terms of the second and the metre, based on fixed fundamental constants of nature.[3] This allows a properly-equipped metrology laboratory to calibrate a mass measurement instrument such as a Kibble balance as the primary standard to determine an exact kilogram mass, although the IPK and other precision kilogram masses remain in use as secondary standards for all ordinary purposes.

The kilogram is defined in terms of three fundamental physical constants: The speed of light c, a specific atomic transition frequency Δ ν Cs, and the Planck constant h. The formal definition is:

The kilogram, symbol kg, is the SI unit of mass. It is defined by taking the fixed numerical value of the Planck constant h to be 6.62607015×10−34 when expressed in the unit J⋅s, which is equal to kg⋅m2⋅s−1, where the metre and the second are defined in terms of c and Δ ν Cs.[4][5]

This definition makes the kilogram consistent with the older definitions: the mass remains within 30 ppm of the mass of one litre of water.

The only good thing about metric is the ability to easily convert between scales of units. Having “rational” base units is just a dumb Enlightenment tic. This is why Celsius is bad—you don’t ever convert between degrees and milli-degrees, and the “rational” base unit is too large, so it’s just worse than Fahrenheit.

What’s the worse digression itt: measurement talk or punctuation shaming?

1 Like

So they finally know what happened to the 40 kidnapped students that disappeared in Mexico. Apparently some of the buses that the students took to go to Mexico City had cartel heroin stashed in them so the local police and cartel coordinated to kidnap and kill the students. The army intercepted wiretaps showing the police and local cartels coordinating but because the army is somewhat implicated they didn’t release the wiretaps until years later

6 Likes

Anyone here use audible? Is it worth it? $15 for what sounds like 1 book a month? Also streaming of their plus catalog but that doesn’t sound great.

My dad gifted me an audible subscription ~a year ago. Back when the gyms were closed and my only exercise was long walks I went through a bunch of the Great Courses lectures and even now 'm still finding myself listening to them.

It’s alternately amusing and annoying that people are constantly bringing this up but I concede it must be true that there are far more places to get bad Mexican (or some other category) food than good ones. I’m still not gonna think SF when I want a taco though.

https://twitter.com/ravenscimaven/status/1446998787436662791?t=IbIUkuK32fecivbLH-NNRQ&s=19
https://twitter.com/khaleesbee/status/1447011623885934595?t=BIktmWrlmQ2Rgo9s3mA_tw&s=19

Like, tons of Mexican dishes seem simple: meat and a tortilla. But a lot of core ingredients are hard to get outside of Mexico or the southwest US: dried chiles, tomatillos, etc. Even in Portland getting as wide a variety of dried chiles as I could in the Bay is much harder. Combine that with all the people imitating Tex Mex or deliberately Americanized Mexican food, and finding good replications of the real deal is hard.

4 Likes

The idea that you can’t get “authentic” Mexican food in the US is wild on so many levels.

2 Likes

I can’t give a totally serious reply as they’re currently talking pb&j ratios on TNF. Lack of quality ingredients is a good excuse but I bet there’s a Neelix of Mexican food out there, making do with what’s available in the gamma quadrant.

Was there ever a Latino on Star Trek? What’s up with that?

The other day broadcast TV had the ST where Kirk karate jump kicks Wyatt Earp, one of my all-time favorites.

18gr1e

1 Like

Khan

Ricardo Montalbon, but he was playing an Indian (East) I think.

B’Elana Torres.

3 Likes

I can’t pretend I knew this off the top of my head but the StarFleet officer in charge of Spock’s court-martial in The Menagerie was Commodore José Mendez.

I thought Khan Noonian Singh was supposed to be Indian, so I didn’t count him.

I didn’t realize until a couple years ago that Roxann Dawson is a Latina. Because of the makeup and her name I thought she was a white woman. It makes her character a lot more interesting to me knowing that.

There was also a Commodore Mendez on the stos The Menagerie ep. [Duker!]

I’ve found it pretty useful. On about my 10th audible book. Current one is 40 hrs long (“The Enlightenment The Pursuit of Happiness 1680-1790”), so lot of value (and a great book).

I’m not 100% behind audiobooks, but it’s solid if it fits into your activities. Prior book was Mike Duncan’s (Revolutions podcast) on Lafayette, which was great because I already like his narrative style.

That’s the standard example of bad season 3 os scripts but as a kid I thought it was great. At the time it was spooky and had what I thought was interesting history and philosophical sounding ideas. Growing up ruined it.