Winter 2021 LC Thread—I Want Sous Vide

Biden continues Trump‘s policy of undermining NATO.

There is an alarming lack of Nic Cage in this Ju Jitsu movie I’m watching.

This is very familiar territory for those of us that are ever so fortunate enough to share a country with Quebecers. What’s that, you say, irrationally sensitive and overreacting French people?

Some amount of projection is not surprising.

If the Australians were right that the subs were marginal for their purposes, then tant pis. If they are serviceable maybe be we could assuage French pride by helping them find another buyer even if it’s not for the whole package.

How would that work? Are there any countries out there that France is not aware of?

It seems a poor industry for France to invest so heavily in if there really were only one potential customer, and that one not that happy with the product. I’m not familiar with the market, just speculating that with US incentives, another buyer might appear.

If you have a contract of some sort of this magnitude wouldn’t there be some sort of penalties for breaking the contract that both parties agreed to within the contract itself?

https://twitter.com/travisakers/status/1439622557666185217

8 Likes

Yeah there are penalty clauses, in the millions of dollars, but not enough to make up for the loss of the deal. Basically the French are mad because private discussions with the US and UK have been going on for the past 18 months without their knowledge, during which time they were sharing military knowhow with Australia. They now feel that this information-sharing was taking place under false pretences. Withdrawing the ambassador seems like an overreaction to me, though.

Clearly the French fucked up here.

18 months? lol blame it on trmp.

also a straightforward way to repair this relationship is to also share nuclear sub tech with france.

Australia is the one that fucked up. They are hoping to sign a new free trade deal with the EU and you can be sure France is going to block that. And all for some useless subs no matter who they are bought from as it is not like they are any deterrent to China if we ever get into conflict with them. Also we are lucky if we see those subs in Australia before 2040.

France already possess nuclear submarines.

I feel like that is everyones worst nightmare. . Off roading you could pop a tire or get stuck and its over. Driving through the smoke too, you have no idea whats in front of you and you could easily crash into something and its over.

Shit I once drove through some super sandy road on the way to a party and someone was in front of me. They were decently far ahead but still the dust they kicked up made visibility 0. There was people behind me too, closer, and my options were to plow forward and possible hit someone or get stuck and get hit from behind. So I gunned it and plowed forward with no visibility and it was pretty scary, I couldn’t imagine adding possibly burning to death on top of that lol

Not sure about that - it seems like it’s a buyer’s market if you’re Australia, which has now been made clear to the French. If they were like “the penalty clause for quitting this deal is one trillion dollars” we might never have signed in the first place.

Meh. I don’t have a strong opinion on the buy, but I seriously doubt the French will kick up much fuss over a free trade deal, this is mostly posturing and tantrum-throwing. The idea of Australia being in lone military conflict with China is hard to imagine - I don’t think China have the capability to invade Australia (and the subs certainly help with averting that). This is more like a statement of purpose from Australia that it continues to see its strategic future as lying with the Anglosphere rather than regional engagement. That’s a risky position to take, but the predicament of Australia is such that there are no safe positions. I think it’s good for Australia to commit to enhanced naval capacity, the question is what strings are attached to this deal, and I don’t think anyone has any idea of that right now. Keating’s (critical) statement speculated that Australia might be required to assist in maintaining a supply chain to the US in the event of something like a conflict over Taiwan, which does seem like a possibility.

Australia is a long term strategic partner for the post apocalypse.

Australia is the lone superpower in the post apocalypse, there are some good documentaries about this in the “Mad Max” series.

7 Likes

the thing people should really be focusing on is this is a concrete example Biden actually accomplishing what Trump was always talking about, getting our allies to pay more of the common war machine costs. Trump would have never even thought of (much less figured out how to) getting austrailia to buy and operate nuclear subs.

this shit is a real force multiplier, Trump has this hardon for having the biggest, most beautifulest military, well if you got austrailia putting more subs in the water you can take your subs and do even more big beautiful stuff with them. dude literally has no idea how alliances work.

1 Like

Negotiations on this deal have been underway for 18 months, well back into Trump’s term. The military-industrial complex operates largely independent of the Presidency.

1 Like