Winter 2021 LC Thread—I Want Sous Vide

Why would Donnie Dumb Dumb want subs? You can’t even see them! Tanks On Parade, please.

1 Like

Folks why do we want boats that sink? They sink on purpose. These boats. How dumb are we to make boats that sink? We want huge boats. Big amazing boats on top of the water. So our beautiful boaters can ride on them. Who can ride on a sunken boat folks? No one. I know many people who own boats and they are all above the water. Above. Where they belong.

3 Likes

no, I get that, it’s just that by the time it bubbled up to his desk he would have killed it, “no way we’re giving our big beautiful subs to some dirty foreigners”

I don’t think so. He would characterise Australia more as Friends than Dirty Foreigners generally. I can’t find a link for it now but I remember I was mildly impressed in I think it was April or May 2017 when our guys put together a video presentation for Trump educating him on the history of the Australia-US alliance, having figured out that TV is the only way to get him to pay attention. If they bothered to tell him about the negotiations at all I don’t think he would have cared. “We’re selling the Aussies submarines? Sure whatever who cares, next thing”. Trump only cares about appearances and the majority of Americans have a vague sense of Australia as a friendly country, and a mostly white country for the racists. There is no political mileage in the US in demonizing Australia, correct me if I’m wrong.

Edit: Also essential to this idea of Australia as “Friends” to Trump is that Australia is eternally the subservient partner in the relationship, that’s what a friend is to Trump.

I mean he told a ton of our mostly white allies to fuck off. Not funding or giving anyone else help was a big part of his " nationalism " giving nuclear subs to anyone would have upset his base. Why are we giving out nuclear subs, we need to build more of our own!

1 Like

He told a ton of his political allies to fuck off at various points too, but only after they stood up to him and/or refused to do what he wanted. Through his term and up to the present day Australia is still pretty much just doing whatever the US wants.

It seems like the US and Australia could have done more to help the French look less bad, but beyond that hate the game, not the player.

True, I do think Aus has a conservative prime minister right? Seems like he’s pretty cool with conservative leaders who also kind of suck up to him, but he tells liberal leaders to fuck off. Liberal leaders would catch a ton of shit from their voters if they didn’t stand up to Trump, no really true for conservative leaders.

So yeah I could see it going through with Austrailia, maybe 50/50, but only because you don’t have a liberal leader.

first of all i’m sure us has a few nuclear things french don’t have. but also, is it ok to speculate that is aus wanted nuclear over diesel, france would not build/sell any of those?

I’ve had to do this in white out snow-blowing conditions at windchill 50 below. Not fun.

The US just needs to explain it to Macron in terms he understands. Australia is like fickle mistress that sometimes you need to shower with gifts and move to a bigger apartment in Paris to keep happy. But it doesn’t mean we don’t love Macron just as much. Our love is boundless.

2 Likes

i don’t quite understand what’s happening in the video. there was another truck (fire truck ?) blocking the road, or possibly turning around? and they had to get off the road, then try to get back on it to escape?

Apparently the bathrooms at my kids’ high school have been locked, so that students can’t use them.

Because vandalizing school bathrooms is an emergent TikTok trend.

I’m pretty done with 2021 and life in general.

Edit: My wife has updated this story to “most” of the bathrooms have been locked.

2 Likes

We had that happen at my high school and it was before social media was a thing. Teens doing dumb shit for attention, a tale as old as time.

i’m not blaming tiktok for this one, this was done all the time for me, certified old.

1 Like

Same here. Did the people in those other trucks die?

Yeah I don’t think they were willing to do that. Bit of a big deal for nuclear powers to share nuclear tech with non-nuclear powers.

How can anyone believe in religion. 32 years old. So incredibly sad.

https://twitter.com/jkbuesing/status/1439681410411888641?s=21

1 Like

Perhaps, but never having signed in the first place, seems like it would have been a win for the French. Results oriented, I know.

If the Australians are indeed paying the contractually agreed upon penalties for breach, then I don’t think the French really have right to be this salty. If it is this much of a problem, they should have had higher penalties, and if that was a deal-breaker, then so be it.

“Racing to offer silver linings & positive spins doesn’t help. Joining the uncomfortable space of my suffering does.”

man that’s so hard to do, I try but damn it’s hard. You give up a piece of yourself whenever you do this, and it feels like shit for days/weeks/months after.