Winter 2021 LC Thread—I Want Sous Vide

Also Lobamba.

I even spent 5 min trying to figure out how to correctly pronounce Mbabane and I’m still not sure I’ve got it.

Para bailar Lobamba.

Little tour around part of Eswantini. A few minutes in she’s so excited to use a pay phone.

a landlord complains some renters are living rent free and it’s hard and that’s the picture they used for the article

1 Like

The first part caught my eye (why was he standing in front of a random plane) and saw this

I’m Julio Gonzalez, the CEO and founder of the specialty tax-engineering firm Engineered Tax Services. I also own 24 properties on the East Coast and have been a landlord for 20 years.

and in my mind I tied it to this I read today about how the WSJ is writing up about how more remote work is letting people hold down two full time jobs without the other job knowing.

Yesterday’s Substack subjects felt like they gave me a concussion, and today’s isn’t far behind. Somehow this article in a major newspaper that’s meant to be about people doing two jobs categorically fails to talk about working two jobs at once, framing the entire subject as an illicit gambit where you’re defrauding good people with your duplicity. Most of the people in this article seem to be doing their jobs well enough to stay employed, and if they weren’t, they’d get fired.

As I’ve said previously, it’s truly offensive that this article doesn’t suggest that these people are basically doing a thing that capitalism loves - making their own consultancies where they’re being compensated for their work rather than their arbitrary time invested. The entire prospect of two jobs at once is framed as a con-job from the show Leverage, with multiple ways in which the worker keeps themselves from being found out to pull off the ultimate swindle - getting paid for work that they actually did. If you were to skim-read this piece, you’d be forgiven for thinking that these people weren’t doing work at all - that they were skimming money off the top like greedy fraudsters, rather than literally doing two jobs that they are paid for.

Someone already showed his Covid loan that was forgiven for just shy of $1 million. Someone post that for Ins0O please.

Had to double check that I wasn’t reading the whereupon we pontificate about poor media choices thread lol

Those parkour robots will be rounding us up to internment camps while the forests burn and the cities flood.

Imagine someone saying this same thing 25 years ago.

Going to be pissed when the Terminator internment camp guard shuts the gate by doing a smooth backflip out of the gate while shutting it and perfectly sticking the landing with a gymnastics pose. It’ll hate it more that I’ll be jealous of him or her or it.

3 Likes

This need a before school show like Math Detectives, but for this

well, his company logo is on the tail of the plane, so I’m gonna say he’s pretty familiar with the plane.

It was going through my mind, 'why was this guy just standing in front of a random plane" because presumably he’s a landlord, but apparently landlord of 20 plus proprieties is a part time job at best so sometimes you have to step out and find some other work on the side, like being a CEO.

1 Like

https://twitter.com/BudrykZack/status/1427678108782575619

Good meme potential here.

Best two so far.

3 Likes

Good, good, deplorable (fling), …

The NYPD tried to use them to search schools but it freaked people out so much that they stopped using them

Canada kicked off an election campaign this week. How long do you think the campaigning lasts before we get to actually vote?

• 6+ months
  • 25 weeks
  • 20 weeks
  • 15 weeks
  • 10 weeks
  • 5 weeks
  • 3 weeks
  • 1 week

0 voters

PS. weeks is one of those words that looks really weird after you write it a bunch of times.

Canadian election campaign length results

Under the Elections Act, the minimum length of a campaign is 36 days and the maximum length of the campaign is 50 days. Trudeau has gone with 36 days, in order to try to bang it out while we’re still happy about beating COVID and before the 4th wave takes over. (ok, technically 5 weeks plus a day, but giving options in days would probably skew the results towards the lower end)

1 Like

This is some straight up Cyberdyne Systems nightmare octane fuel you’ve got here.

1 Like

Need 1.5 year choice.