Winter 2021 LC Thread—I Want Sous Vide

Cat needs to be renamed Omar imo

1 Like

Initially read this as “cat jumped from fire on 65th floor” and was wondering how the hell it survived.

3 Likes

Probably the same way - can’t take too long for a cat to hit terminal velocity.

1 Like

There’s only one way to find out.

2 Likes

Goddamn the internet is incredible sometimes

I’m sure this has me on some sort of animal abuse watchlist now

5 Likes

LOL, literally did the exact search, read the same source, and came to post it.

4 Likes

(Unfortunately (or fortunately?) the internet did not provide an answer to this one)

11 Likes

Now Google “how long does it take to drown a cat”.

I think you mean “how long does it take a cat to strip every inch of flesh from my arms”

I read something where the Spanish or somebody was throwing animals and people down a deep well. The witness said people make a crunching sound when they hit, whereas horses go splat.

Larry Flynt ready to pull a real-life Hector Salamanca.

https://twitter.com/VICENews/status/1392862295374680067

1 Like

Today’s Matt Yglesias post focuses on the idea that women may not, actually, face a severe sexism issue in terms of electability. His focal point: Klobs.

How I imagine @bobman0330 right now:

1 Like

I read/heard some time in the distant past that cats are more likely to die in falls from like 3 or 4 stories than falls from like 65 stories because they are more often positioned and prepared for the landing. And, well, why not google it…

In a study performed in 1987 it was reported that cats who fall from less than six stories, and are still 
alive, have greater injuries than cats who fall from higher than six stories.

eta: Dictionary (Devil’s Dictionary) entry for ‘cat’

CAT

-n.

A soft, indestructible automaton provided by nature to be kicked when things go wrong in the domestic circle.

1 Like

It’s the most cat thing ever that they can survive a 30 story fall but get stuck in trees.

5 Likes

https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2021/05/piles-ancient-poop-reveal-extinction-event-human-gut-bacteria

The health of our gut microbiome is so important to overall health. Factors like the increase in processed foods consumption, and antibiotic use in our own bodies and the bodies of the animals that we eat has impacted the diversity and health of the microbes that have evolved symbiotically with us.

1 Like

gut bacteria are definitely affected by diets, but taking it to processed food and antibiotics is quite a jump. eating prehistoric corn vs more caloric white bread and tortillas is so drastic that the biome had to change. it also changed when humans stopped consuming unpasteurized milk, and when people give up meat for beyond burgers.

during renaissance cooks apparently added a bunch of borax into milk and other foods, as well as gypsum to bread, which we thankfully don’t do anymore, but it was a far worse thing for gut bacteria than using antibiotics on cattle when it’s necessary (not the gratuitous practice of injecting antibiotics for all animals).

1 Like

I’m skeptical of nutrition related information posted here, as this is exactly what a member of a species of space-faring exotic meat eaters would post to fatten up the rubes.

That Devil’s Dictionary thing is unauthorized and I definitely do not support cat-kicking. Cat-kickers are assholes.

Antibiotics are in some ways analogous to chemotherapy. Yeah, it’s killing the cancer, but there’s a lot of collateral damage to healthy cells and microbes.

1 Like

Both of these are still commonly added to food. Borax is technically banned in lots of places but still gets used anyway. Gypsum is FDA GRAS (Generally Recognized As Safe). You can easily buy food grade versions of either product.

I’m months behind in the COVID thread so posting here:

3 Likes