Winter 2021 LC Thread—I Want Sous Vide

Holy shit GOAT interview.

He’s a comedian. Not the flight attendant.

6 Likes
2 Likes

That dude is abusing the implicit trust that comes with wearing a lanyard.

7 Likes

Hey can California stop burning? Woke up to heavy smell of smoke in my apartment. My throat and eyes are irritated. Kind of surprised alarms haven’t gone off. Google says it’s from the Dixie fire.

It’s this decade’s Antoine Dodson!

foone is hyperelite, great account to follow if you have any interest in extreme nerd vintage electronics

my buddy is about to move from Tuscaloosa to some shithole in north alabama, we are talking 90 min drive. He’s getting quoted like 3K for the movers, is that shit real? I’ve never done a move like that with a moving company but that seems like extortion? He says he thinks its related to some kinda regulations around it but i have no idea. anyone know? Bored do you know?

@boredsocial

Kinda thing is going to be local supply and demand. If a couple different companies are giving you that number that’s probably reality.

Should just drive Uhaul himself w/ helpers on each end: Local Moving Labor | U-Haul

Will be like $500 total plus tip.

4 Likes

100% this - we’ve done it for our past few moves, works great. Just gotta be comfortable driving a large truck. Which, for the record, I don’t think regular people like me should be able to do. Seems very dangerous.

Right turns are tricky at first with straight trucks but other than that are pretty easy imo. I did pull up to a coffee kiosk in one once (not a U-haul but straight truck) and took out the gutter though. My coworker had done the same thing a year or so earlier with same lady working in same truck. :laughing:

I went out to buy some vegetables. There’s supposed to be a city up ahead. With mountains in the background. I should have stayed home and smoked a cigarette instead.

Local news says Salt Lake has the worst air quality in the world today. We’re number one!

4 Likes

Yeah, this is what we did for our move. And then the move is fully on your time rather than on the moving company’s time.

First time I tried that, when I got to my new place the people unloading the truck never showed and I had to scramble to call a bunch of friends to help me unload the truck. Second time they were only an hour late. Also got hit by a blizzard both times (once it was late October ffs) and had to drive the truck in near zero visibility.

The aunt I previously said that I accused of being in a cult was moving from our city a decade or so ago and for some reason I can’t remember I had to go over there. She thought a good tip was buying them KFC. The plates on the moving trucks were from 4 states away and they didn’t seem local. They saw my music stickers and asked if I had a joint. Kicked them down a few joints. Not sure the moral of the story.

3 Likes

Back when I moved from North Carolina to Seattle, Uhaul wanted $2.5k just to rent the truck to drive across the country AND we had to be there in 7-10 days. Note that it was 2 people living in a 1 BR apt and we got rid of all of our furniture, so not a big truck.

We ended up buying an old school bus for $1.2k and packed it full of our stuff. We meandered along seeing family, friends, Badlands, Devil’s Tower, Wall Drug, and all the other sites along the way for the next 4 weeks using the bus as both storage and as a camper. After finding an apartment and getting settled in Seattle, we put the bus on craigslist and promptly sold it for $4.5k.

All that to say, you can make money on your move but probably unlikely moving within the same state. That sure was a good trip though.

35 Likes

https://twitter.com/kath_krueger/status/1423683032612024325

1 Like
1 Like