Winter 2021 LC Thread—I Want Sous Vide

William Shockley was an EE professor. Brilliant af and a colossal asshole. I’m guessing your prof wasn’t him though.

The Lord works in mysterious ways!

No doubt it’s a bias, but the jerks stand out in memory and make me think most of my engineering and physics professors were egomaniacs. Those in other areas less so.

I am not a financial expert but maybe they want you make a payment of negative $92.77?

I scheduled a payment for my credit card account to cover the balance → I was issued a refund by a merchant → my payment amount exceeded the account balance → CC canceled my payment bc it was for more than the balance → they sent me a notice I hadn’t paid my CC bill → I paid when I saw the notice, payment now a day late → they charged me a late fee → hour on the phone to have late fee refunded. ymmv

Good luck calling them. I waited 4.5 hours to get though about my moms estate last week!

That is super weird. I have never seen anything like that.

Perhaps you should write them a strongly worded letter that they are in fact in the ones in arears to you for $0.00 and you expect prompt payment.

4 Likes

Looks like it might just be for your records.

https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-agency/services/tax/individuals/topics/about-your-tax-return/notice-assessment-refund-balance.html

In Brooklyn college only, right?

Is that some commie college?

My sample of 8,688 tenure track, Ph.D.–holding professors from fifty-one of the sixty-six top ranked liberal arts colleges in the U.S. News 2017 report consists of 5,197, or 59.8 percent, who are registered either Republican or Democrat. The mean Democratic-to-Republican ratio (D:R) across the sample is 10.4:1, but because of an anomaly in the definition of what constitutes a liberal arts college in the U.S. News survey, I include two military colleges, West Point and Annapolis.1 If these are excluded, the D:R ratio is a whopping 12.7:1.

Ah - ok. Yeah I guess Brooklyn college probably doesn’t have 108 Communications professors, duh.

For three days in a row I just saw other humans in a more meaningful context than the checkout interaction at Trader Joes. Now I’m not sure if I can go back to my old life of being a hermit, or if I’m going to crave daily human interaction. Scary times.

1 Like

I got you…

https://mobile.twitter.com/SLATFascists/status/1412107041838092297

2 Likes

HEY HEY HEY

I said in nhl thread and will say here, outside of a professional environment fireworks are dumb.

This is fucking super cool.

Akno, I’m goona be smiling my face off when they come oot :grin:

1 Like

Ha ha, I don’t have a lot of interaction with engineers but one supportive anecdote from early in my career. We used to advise on a pension plan for a company that employed engineers and as was typical at the time we helped them close their defined benefit pension plan (guaranteed income for life, employer bears the risk) for a member directed plan (no guarantees, member chooses the investments and takes all the risk). The engineers were furious - not because we took away their guaranteed pension, but because they couldn’t invest their employer pension money in leveraged accounts where they could pick individual stonks. They were certain that any engineer with a few hours of time could pick winning stocks.

3 Likes

I kind of feel like Tarantino got there first.

1 Like

I have so many friends who have PhDs who are convinced they can pick stocks and no matter how many times I show them the data I always here about the next big stock I am nuts not to buy into.