Winter 2021 LC Thread—I Want Sous Vide

Went over to my neighbors house this morning to help him set up a tent for his wife’s 66th birthday celebration.

A friend of his had already arrived and set the tent up. They were already drinking and I got coaxed into drinking a beer out of the 12 pack that I brought over as a gift. (I rarely drink)

He knows I smoke and the subject comes up and they want me to chief them out. I’m hesitant since I know they’re lightweights but I can’t say no and give them fair warning.

Neighbor is now weed napping on his front porch and I’m worried he may not be able to handle grilling duties for his wife’s birthday.

Suggestions?

We are neighborly and I have an invitation but had already told him I have a ton to do today.

Also the wife doesn’t drink or smoke but I was told she would have a beer today hence why I brought over a 12 pack for them.

Post chief conversation I’m skeptical she would have a beer.

2 Likes

Greetings fellow kids, how about this Olivia Rodrigo album? Breakup albums are the best.

Give him 30 minutes and then check on him? It’s good to be a responsible drug pusher.

Never heard this phrasing. Perhaps a tad racist?

It might be, my group of friends would use it here in Chicago like 10 years ago. You wanna chief was the go to way to say smoke for a little bit. Not sure if it is used much anymore

Native Americans had the superior culture so naw.

Also thx for the reply. I have issues with over empathizing and boundaries.

Walk over and help to wake him up and have a laugh about the 1st time you fell asleep using weed to help the situation be light as can be, once achieved move along.

:blush:

1 Like

I decided his best chance at getting into cooking form was to sleep it off.

Pro move would have been to have a beer and take off while leaving him a couple nugs and fair warning. I did warn him multiple times lol.

ETA : If he comes over and tells me he needs help with the festivities I will help him. I feel like the white villain who came over and rekt the family get together.

Welcome to the Larry David show Arkansas style.

3 Likes

It’s neat they can quantify “the accuracy of perceptions of social class by listening to brief speech”. We’re just so intensely interested in putting people in their place. Sometimes in escaping our own place. Using speech for this must be as old as speech itself. The idea is pervasive in literature. Its a constant theme in Shakespeare and Twain and Austen and on and on. There have been dozens of adaptations of Pygmalion.

A Vietnamese friend who came here ~6 has always had a sing-song way of speaking English. I didn’t know she was self-conscious about it until one time I met her for dinner after not seeing her for a while and she seemed to be speaking very formally to me. She loosened up but she must have been working on that for a while. It it gave me unexpected insight into her insecurities. Mine too.

I’ve always been aware of the surprised look people register when I speak to them but that might be from demonstrating I can speak at all.

3 Likes

My two nieces have like 3 different tones, the house tone, the mates tone and the glaswegian tone. :rofl:

1 Like

Summer 2021 LC Thread: Neither Amazon nor meth are that bad, actually

14 Likes

Semi-grunching, and not trying to make light of Stim’s experience, but this was coincidentally in the paper yesterday:

Officers shoot driver after high-speed chase down I-5 ends in Southwest Washington

The chase began near milepost 39 and continued south for approximately 23 miles. According to the news release, the vehicle “was traveling at speeds over 100 mph and made many unsafe movements while fleeing the troopers.”

Authorities deployed spike strips as the vehicle passed Woodland, but the attempt was unsuccessful, the response team said.

The chase ended abruptly when the vehicle took Exit 16, which serves La Center, and collided with another vehicle at the top of the off-ramp.

The troopers and the Cowlitz Police officer shot the driver, according to the statements. Further details on what led up to the shooting were not disclosed.

The female passenger got out of the vehicle and was taken into custody, but the wounded driver, who was conscious and alert, refused to get out of the vehicle. The statements said the driver told officers that he had a firearm and that he was ready to die.

The police statements said the driver was then seen repeatedly using a meth pipe to ingest a substance believed to be methamphetamine.

Just saw a flag truck drive by my place. Is something happening today?

I still see them regularly everywhere. Certainly fewer than last year, but common enough.

1 Like

Not common in Redondo Beach unless there’s a rally going on somewhere.

I’m away until the end of the year but can we please hang out? Kthx.

And you want me to know this?

14 Likes

Why wouldn’t you? Made my parents appear less shitty when I found out that they were human.

3 Likes

Had to look her up. Listened to one song.

Edit. I pasted the comment bc I thought it was funny, not because I agree with it. I don’t. Not at all. That said, I’m listening to Freebird now.

Sounds like an opportunity for bonding with Dad.

4 Likes

Amazon stuff excized.