Why do you heart posts?

+1

In addition to above, heart can mean:

1. I really wish I had made this post myself
  2. I was thinking exactly the same thing and I’m glad you posted it so I don’t have to
  3. I appreciate the effort that was put into this post whether I agree with it or not
4 Likes

I like to think of the heart as a little kiss on the forehead, saying “thank you for your nice post.”

2 Likes

11 Likes

Apparently sometimes I heart a post because I hate it.

1 Like

This…

…and this.

Also,

• to signal a link or video is worth clicking on or watching. I am more likely to read an article if it has received a few hearts. If it got zero I might just keep scrolling.
  • If somebody posts something that is interesting, especially if it is something I might not have known about otherwise
  • If somebody posts something where they have special expertise or insights, e.g. our medical professionals and their experiences in the fight against CoViD-19
4 Likes

My guess would be this one:

1 Like

There are a bunch of people here who pay me to heart their posts. I get paid between .05 and .78 per heart.

DM for packages

Edit: you can see my best customers below.

1 Like

I love getting :heart:s. I even go back to my posts from a few days ago to see how many :heart:s I got. I get very little positive reinforcement in my life.

13 Likes

I try to fav things for the same reasons as @JohnnyTruant, but it bothers me that the best way to farm favs is dunks. It ties into my broader theory that internet politics is driven by what stimulates amygdalas instead of facts.

3 Likes

most of the time i’m like:

but a lot of the time i’m also like:

3 Likes

You also beat people into submission of hearts with your goddamned long well thought out posts.

3 Likes

For me its the equivalent of urinating on something to establish my scent and dominance.

But also for all the reasons others have mentioned: lolz, gratitude for sharing, empathy for a difficult situation, or just a really well articulated point.

I also try and like every reveal post in a Walrus thread because while Walrus = pain for all but the victor, its doubly so for the host without any hope of victory in the end.

6 Likes

There’s some formula where a long post tends to get a good amount of likes but there’s a cap because most people aren’t reading all that.

For my top 20 post, which was long, I’m pretty sure the title doubled the :heart:s.

I get so many hearts from you I thought that you especially liked me. Now I see you’re just easy.

1 Like

I heart posts in controversial threads to represent my silent majority vote.

3 Likes

Just interpret it however you want I honestly didn’t like it that much but I want everyone to feel good.

2 Likes

Nobody hearts a cat.

I can’t explain it any better than Jefferson Airplane:

Don’t you want somebody to love
Don’t you need somebody to love
Wouldn’t you love somebody to love
You better find somebody to love

1 Like