Why do you heart posts?

I know some people are what I would consider stingy with their hearts. I like to make it rain. But there is only one move, and sometimes that threatens to betray the feeling behind it.

For example, I always heart when someone shares bad news. It’s not because I “like” the news itself, it’s because I’m showing support for them and what they are going through. It’s well wishes. Still feels weird, but assume it’s implied.

I will also mash it when someone I disagree with makes a well thought out argument. Sometime that may be interpreted as a “plus one” when that is not the case. I’m here to discuss shit, though, and I always want to encourage sensible disagreement and good faith engagement. The risk of being associated with the premise bothers me (ever so slightly) at times, but that’s the price to pay I suppose.

I’ll also hit it for people taking the time to share their personal experiences. I obviously like that kind of posting and partake myself frequently. It’s not everyone’s cup of tea, but it is what makes the community less sterile.

Then of course there are just obvious reasons like a post made me smile or think or I agree with it or like it.

14 Likes

I heart when I like a post or want to show support (when it’s bad news).

3 Likes

It’s easier than making substantive contributions.

13 Likes

Pretty much my feelings on hearts as well. I think this is true for a large fraction of the regular users here.

2 Likes

yea I tend to heart a lot of jokes, things i agree with, good posts, bad news to express empathy, people sharing personal stories. Like to make it rain as well. Also like Zikzak said a lot of times i dont have much to say but i want people to know I’m enjoying what they post.

3 Likes

Support, agreement, insights, mind blown.

2 Likes

To reward all good posting

2 Likes

90% for posts I like or think are interesting, 10% as ironic hearts to particularly bad, dumb, or unfair posts. Also I nearly always like posts that have been hidden by the community.

I’m stingy with hearts because I have a competition in me. I often heart posts because someone is being mean to one of the posters here and I want to be a part of that.

3 Likes

I fat finger a lot.

6 Likes

I judge posts based on the number of likes I feel they deserve, so I am more likely to heart a good post with 0 likes than a slightly better one with 5 likes.

3 Likes

I was going to like this, but 2 is enough.

3 Likes

A lot of people heart posts because they are a picture of someone’s cute dog. Here’s mine:

14 Likes

Which post has the most hearts? Is it the one where Trumpbot was whining that the Supreme Court didn’t like him?

+1

In addition to above, heart can mean:

1. I really wish I had made this post myself
  2. I was thinking exactly the same thing and I’m glad you posted it so I don’t have to
  3. I appreciate the effort that was put into this post whether I agree with it or not
4 Likes

I like to think of the heart as a little kiss on the forehead, saying “thank you for your nice post.”

2 Likes

11 Likes

Apparently sometimes I heart a post because I hate it.

1 Like

This…

…and this.

Also,

• to signal a link or video is worth clicking on or watching. I am more likely to read an article if it has received a few hearts. If it got zero I might just keep scrolling.
  • If somebody posts something that is interesting, especially if it is something I might not have known about otherwise
  • If somebody posts something where they have special expertise or insights, e.g. our medical professionals and their experiences in the fight against CoViD-19
4 Likes