Who will run in 2020?

Not that you are entirely wrong but I know people that it helped including me.

It works occasionally for people who are using it to bridge a temporary gap. For people who are actually trying to pull themselves out of deep generational poverty it has a pretty shit track record IMO.

Obviously Iā€™ve known lots of people who got food stamps in college. Thatā€™s basically the best case scenario for means tested welfare. That doesnā€™t make it any better for a single mother with 4 kids who is utterly dependent on housing assistance and canā€™t get a better job because that raise would effectively have a 500% marginal tax rate (there are situations where 100-200 more a month could cost you 500-1000).

The ā€œrightā€ is split on a lot of things as well and includes people who are God and Country, Law and Order people and thatā€™s not at all the libertarian right. Iā€™m not anti-libertarian, but a lot of the ā€œleftā€ is. Butā€¦whether UBI would work well or better than the current welfare system or not, I donā€™t see as something agreed upon by most economists and I think itā€™s something that would need empirical study. Were I to implement it, it would be in stages with study. As Iā€™ve repeatedly stated Iā€™m not a big believer in means testing, but doing welfare as straight money vs. services like M4A, public schools, free meals at school, education and work training, and even public housing if done well are maybe better options, but itā€™s not necessarily one or the other.

Right thats why i said you are not entirely wrong. But our safety net does help too.

Free meals in school is a good idea and always has been. Iā€™d vastly upgrade school lunches and pair them with home economics classes where we teach kids how to take care of themselves. Knowing how to cook yourself a nutritious meal that doesnā€™t taste like shit in a timely manner is an extremely important public health thing with crazy ROIā€™s just on healthcare savings. Kids need to be exposed to healthy food no matter how their parents feed them at home. Nutritionally deprived kids are much less likely to thrive than kids who are eating well, and kids who are thriving produce massively better returns to society as adults.

Universal public healthcare is obvious good policy and I donā€™t see as even being welfare. Itā€™s just the most efficient way to run a healthcare system and gets the best results.

Education is also not welfare. Itā€™s an investment in a productive workforce that is more than recaptured through taxes on their economic output later in life. Ditto for all forms of work training.

Public housing has basically been a disaster IMO and isnā€™t a solution to the problem of unaffordable housing. Zoning reform is the first step if we ever get serious about that, and we wonā€™t really know what to do next until weā€™ve allowed full development of dense housing with good public transit to support it.

My goal is good policy that works. Iā€™m not particularly ideological about it either. If it works Iā€™m for it.

Federally subsidized housing has a lot of very good examples as well as bad. The approach in the 60s and 70s was very bad (perhaps intentionally so as an instrument of segregation). But thereā€™s a lot of good federally subsidized housing built in the 80s onward that most people wouldnā€™t even know was some sort of public housing.

I would describe myself as anti-libertarian. I find religious conservatives more tolerable than Ayn Rand fanboys and intellectual dark web dorks.

I donā€™t particularly care for or against UBI, but I am committed to a liberal vision of the size and role of government.

3 Likes

https://twitter.com/BetoORourke/status/1168616482529562625

Betoā€™s not fucking around on guns.

8 Likes

I donā€™t mind the government using the wealth generated by society to provide social services. I like that. But, other than taking some money (the fruit of collective society), and redistributing that for the benefit of society, I donā€™t like the government bossing people around. So, like limiting the police, military, drug enforcement, bordersā€¦all the stuff that the government ends up using itā€™s guns for, Iā€™m against on principle and they should be clearly and overwhelmingly needed before they are imposed.

What the liberals have going for them is part of what people (often disingenuously) call classical liberalism. Civil rights - civil liberties.

Yeah Ayn Rand was cancer. Selfishness as a virtue sheesh. She also had zero idea how people actually get things done. Her entire framework was massively off and had almost no correlation with reality.

Unfortunately itā€™s a very seductive ideology for privileged white people who donā€™t like the idea that they have any duty to anyone but themselves.

Government has a role to play. There are some activities that are badly needed by society that markets do not do a good job of delivering on. Schools, roads, natural monopolies, goods with low elasticity of demand (like healthcare), anything where competition is restricted in some major way.

Free markets are powerful thingsā€¦ and like most powerful things they have situations where they are damn near magically good and they have situations where they are insanely bad for everyone. Government is the same. There is no going entirely one way or the other. Weā€™ve tried almost every extreme variation at some point in history and itā€™s always been a disaster basically.

1 Like

https://mobile.twitter.com/BernieSanders/status/1168566376606371840

https://mobile.twitter.com/BernieHistory/status/1168532524424994816

Ayn Rand died broke and on welfare

2 Likes

Ayn Rand had a personality disorder. Mental illness is the only explanation for both her ideas and her personal choices.

1 Like

Itā€™s clearly a hail mary play, but Iā€™m in favor of pushing back against the Overton Window.

hard to say which state has the the worse combo, FL, SC, AK are all extremely bad as well

Hawaii seems to have two of the consistently best. So ironic that thatā€™s where Tulsi comes from

Asked another way: Would he be doing this if a more conventional Republican (a Mitt Romney or Jeb Bush) were in the White House?

ā€œUm, Iā€™m not sure, to be quite honest with you,ā€ Mr. Biden said.

ā€¦

In a tour of about a dozen of these campaign events across the early-voting states during the second half of August, Mr. Bidenā€™s audiences were moderately enthusiastic, always polite and certainly appreciative of his visits. Given their revulsion for the incumbent, many attendees expressed gratitude that Mr. Biden was running for president. But they struggled to identify why he was running, or what the former vice president represented beyond a known and decent entity who was not Donald Trump or Bernie Sanders.

ā€¦

But with some exceptions, Mr. Bidenā€™s days as a potent and fiery stump speaker seem long past. He can exude a level of weariness certain days. He can be as unfocused, long-winded and prone to misstatement as ever. He has kept up a steady run of blunders and embarrassments, including a report last week in The Washington Post that he had gotten several basic facts wrong in an emotional story he told about an Afghan war hero.

So, which Dem who canā€™t win wants to take one for the team and be the bad guy who attacks Biden and harms his electability in exchange for a possible Cabinet position or VP spot with one of the other front-runners?

Well, we already know that Kamala isnā€™t afraid to take some shots at Biden. And maybe Castro?

• Unleashed Beto has been dropping fire and F-bombs recently, but Iā€™m not sure if he has any beef with Biden.

• Klobuchar and Pete rely too much on ā€œMidwestern niceā€ branding to really get the knives out.

Iā€™m actually most interested to see how Warren handles Biden in the next debate. Mods are definitely going to try to stir up conflict and I have a feeling that she might want to rumble a bit.

The worst possible outcome is people taking Kamala-style shots at Biden, not making the case for why they should be president, and we get a kneecapped Biden limping across the goalline to lose against Trump.

1 Like

Beto on guns is how I want all Dem candidates to be on all lefty positions

3 Likes