Who will run in 2020?

Especially when you list the states by population in ascending order and realize that it only takes about a tenth of the population of the us to get to the 42 senators needed to filibuster. I get that those states aren’t all red, but the point still stands that the senate doesn’t even come close to representing the population.

The real problem is the dominance of the minority in the senate. With the filibuster a ridiculously small percentage of the population can block legislation, without the filibuster a ridiculously small percentage of the population can enact legislation, but that still needs to pass the house where it needs to get a majority from - more or less - representatives who represent more than half of the country.

So the filibuster is waaay more advantageous to the republicans.

Yeah Bernie loses an obscene number of points with me for his filibuster stance… especially since my larger read is that he means well but doesn’t have whatever it takes to get things done.

Do any of these people oppose abolishing the Electoral College?

I would care way less about the electoral college than about the senate, if I were American. It’s an annoying and unfair historical artifact, with a huge impact on how campaigns are being executed, but the way the senate amplifies the power of a very small, obnoxious minority has a much, much bigger impact on public policy.

3 Likes

This. Obama won the WH twice and got absolutely nothing meaningful done because of the Senate w/filibuster. Kill it with fire is the only answer. I can tolerate having to run the table and get 50 senate votes + the house + the WH to get anything done… that’s in reach with my generation. Getting over 60 senate seats as well is not ever going to happen.

The Electoral College amplifies the power of the same minority empowered by the Senate, a problem exacerbated by the filibuster. These are related problems with the same fundamental cause: an outdated Constitution that needs to be revised to make states less important political units.

Castro endorses Warren

Well that’s a bit disappointing.

1 Like

https://twitter.com/JulianCastro/status/1214188178686525440?s=19

Disappointing, but not surprising.

2 Likes

This is pretty surprising. Would have thought he just wouldn’t endorse anyone at this stage to maxmize VP odds.

Genius. So when Bernie gets the nom and puts him on the ticket he can be like, come with me.

This. Very surprising that he not only endorsed someone at this stage, but that he endorsed someone polling poorly and losing momentum.

Anybody who thinks that Warren isn’t going to throw her weight behind Bernie the second it becomes obvious she’s got no shot isn’t paying attention. And Bernie will do the same. I have a lot of conviction on this view. After Super Tuesday one of them will probably drop out and throw their weight fully behind the other.

If Biden wins this he’ll have had a much harder go of it after Super Tuesday than he will before. If he’s got almost the same number of delegates as Bernie/Warren coming out of Super Tuesday he’s got almost no shot at the nomination and we can all breathe a giant sigh of relief.

Solid chance there’s no clear winner between Bernie and Liz and they both stay in long enough to Biden win a brokered convention.

Yeah it’s there for sure.

https://twitter.com/ryangrim/status/1213907929998471168?s=19

3 Likes

Not all Castros can be great

5 Likes

Two weeks ago I was in a chat elsewhere about VP discussion and someone literally blurted out “well it’s obvious castro’s been running for warren’s VP and nobody else” and I was like wut cause I literally hadn’t paid a word of attention to castro. He had already shoved allin on warren VP and well sunk cost fallacy.