Who will run in 2020?

I’m going to be injecting the tears of my Facebook friends who four years ago told me that trump is our President And we should all get together as one nation into my veins.

5 Likes

A bailout of shareholders would be nuts. I’m not sure why we need any plan to deal with this at all. Any investors can look at what’s happening in the political arena and decide to sell their shares now if they want. If they hold the shares hoping to profit long term from the current system then that’s on them if it doesn’t work out. The useful employees in large health organizations (doctors, nurses, etc.) will have plenty of work opportunities in a universal health case system. The goal, after all, is to deliver more health care. The middle management and administrative types that don’t that actually deliver any healthcare and just administer the large corporation can chase the capital to whatever new corporation the capital flows to.

Industries deal with turmoil all the time and sometimes become obsolete in the normal course. No particular reason why we need to bend over backwards for shareholders of health care companies.

5 Likes

If Pete wins the primary I will do the dance one time. Well…maybe not.

Yeah… Also state government/teacher/etc pension plans aren’t that heavily invested in any particular area of the market… and state budgets would be huge net winners from this as they would get to offload public workers health insurance costs on the federal government.

As to equity investors… win some lose some. This has been on the horizon as long as I’ve been alive. They bet against what was good for the country as a whole and lose… and I’ll be enjoying the sound of their lamentations honestly.

2 Likes

Again this never seems to be a concern when we want to eliminate coal, or private prisons, or payday lenders, or whatever else. Just insurance companies.

6 Likes

Everyone is fine with capitalism until it impacts them. Personally I’m basically fine with the ‘people lose their investments sometimes’ part of capitalism. It’s the best part if you ask me. Without the risk there’s no reason to make good decisions in the first place and most of capitalisms advantages disappear like a warm fart.

Honestly the socialization of risk is a huge part of why capitalism is having such a hard time right now. Somewhere along the line we stopped liking risk and competition… and those were the parts that actually made it work.

2 Likes

Donald Trump in 2016 : we’re going to bring back the coal jobs, get those mines open again.

Hillary Clinton in 2016: those jobs aren’t coming back, but um maybe they’ll be some new green jobs? #learntocode?

How did Hillary do in coal country?

Not caring about displaced workers hasn’t worked out too well for Dems, especially when D policies are perceived as being the thing that killed the industry.

1 Like

I think that does a disservice to Hillary’s platform, she had a good plan to help displaced coal miners and their communities but was damned by the stupid soundbite that the media ran with. And, of course, it’s hard to beat someone who’s flat out lying to everyone because that’s what they wanted to hear.

If only she pandered to coal miners West Virginia would have been hers!

2 Likes

Trump ran a very populist campaign with a message that midwest voters liked. Sure, the racism helped, but that wasn’t the only thing. His constant rantings about attacks on “dirty” industries and jobs being off-shored are a big reason the midwest flipped like he did. Although from a policy standpoint he has done fuck all. It was all lies to pander to blue collar workers, and it worked. The dems need to hammer that message if they want to get back the Obama-Trump voters.

1 Like

I mean, WVA used to be reliably blue when Dems pretended to give a fuck about unions.

2 Likes

That’s sort of the general thesis of this book.

https://www.amazon.com/Great-Reversal-America-Gave-Markets/dp/0674237544/ref=tmm_hrd_swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&qid=&sr=&tag=unstuck-user-20

American markets, once a model for the world, are giving up on healthy competition. Sector after economic sector is more concentrated than it was twenty years ago, dominated by fewer and bigger players who lobby politicians aggressively to protect and expand their profit margins. Across the country, this drives up prices while driving down investment, productivity, growth, and wages, resulting in more inequality. Meanwhile, Europe―long dismissed for competitive sclerosis and weak antitrust―is beating America at its own game.

Philippon, one of the world’s leading economists, did not expect these conclusions in the age of Silicon Valley start-ups and millennial millionaires. But the data from his cutting-edge research proved undeniable.

Now do Western Pennsylvania… think those soundbites lost her a few votes there?

“pandered” is key there. No one there would ever have believed Hillary was one of their kind of Democrats.

the fact that this is true and all of those people are going to turn out for him again anyway is what drives me nuts.

I lol’ed

https://twitter.com/MattBinder/status/1197198708200427520

4 Likes

Sure. Hillary would have had a shot at WVa if her party’s brand of neoliberalism hadn’t spent the past decade writing off labor and telling them to all go learn to code or whatever.

Does anybody have a good write up on the Bolivia stuff? I’m not really sure how to evaluate my sources for things like that, and so I’m not sure how much credence to give to claims like “such and such organization said the elections were fraudulent”. My instinct is to think that a leftist leader in Latin America is probably not going to get a fair shake in most American media sources, but obviously people on the left do bad shit too.

Tbh this was the biggest Bernie turnoff for me in 2016. And it wasn’t (isn’t) just the Bros, either. Brihana Joy Gray and Nina Turner are cancer and they’re both still on staff.

1 Like

https://twitter.com/mattyglesias/status/1197206852049739776

1 Like