Whereupon We Pontificate About Poor Media Outlet Choices

On the bright side, Canada is about to join us in electing a bunch of fascists so we can lock arms on our walk into the abyss.

3 Likes

You provided zero evidence for this new meaning of the word.

France too

4 Likes

I pretend everything is cool here because we are about 5 years behind you!

1 Like

Watch out for this thing called “COVID” in about 7 or 8 months.

6 Likes

You’re posting about how tons of republicans think King Donald I would save democracy.

“…if we have an open border, it is going to continue to destroy this country.”

You can hear this same sentiment echoed by Trump and in Boomer memes. It’s a pretty salient quote in this election cycle. Why do you think that is, despite the fact that using the dictionary definitions of the terms, it’s nonsense. It’s absurd to think that the addition of a few million migrant workers would overthrow the government of 350 million people and the most powerful military force in the world by a factor of 10. So, is Mr. Vance speaking in gibberish that he’s also somehow willing to put prominently on his website? I don’t think so, as say what you want about the merits or arguments of his book, that book is at least clear evidence that he has command of the English language.

Instead, I think the quote is an earnest, meaningful appeal to his base and to voters, but he’s using words to mean different things. “Country” here doesn’t mean the government and leaders and its institutions and organization. That’s not under threat, obviously. The only thing that a few million migrants could legitimately threaten is the racial makeup of this country, and thus white dominance. That’s the core threat conservatives feel, and that’s the core ideal of what America means to them.

2 Likes

I’m hardly the first person to make this argument. There’s this famous quote:

Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition, to wit:

There must be in-groups whom the law protectes but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.

Once you realize that conservatives mangle the plain definition of lots of words in service of this principle, you’ll see that “conservatism,” “freedom,” “religious liberty,” “pro-life”, etc. have very different meanings depending on your political affiliation.

2 Likes

realDonaldTrump

37m

JOE BIDEN IS A THREAT TO DEMOCRACY, AND A THREAT TO THE SURVIVAL AND EXISTENCE OF OUR COUNTRY ITSELF!!!

( truth (lol) | raw text )

That’s their new line. Nonsensically call Joe Biden a threat to democracy to negate the very real claim that Trump is a threat to democracy. Simplest play ever, always works.

3 Likes

No puppet! You’re the puppet!

3 Likes

Media: Both sides perceive a threat to democracy

5 Likes

https://x.com/MattOrtega/status/1806813919216103793

5 Likes

Except even before the conviction, the Editorial Board recently said, among many other harsh things, that “Mr. Trump demonstrated a character and temperament that render him utterly unfit for high office.”

Took a few minute of Googling to find that. If you pay me for wasting my time, I’ll be happy to go look for similar declarations in 2016 and 2020 and anything in between.

2 Likes

LMAO

Headline: A Warning about Donald Trump.
Headline: For Good of the Country, Joe Biden Must Drop Out!

You know people only read headlines. You know it, so stop with the both sides crap. the NYT wants Trump to win. Just scroll through this entire fucking thread.

No, they don’t. Only people in your bubble, which you sucked some of us into, actually believe that. The consensus view in this country is that it is a liberal rag, which while also inaccurate, makes more sense then believing that an organization in which a large % of the staff are personally Ds from well to do families are working to get Trump elected for $.

1 Like

The worst sin that The NY Times can be accused of is talking to Biden and his enablers as allies that can be reasoned with and might respect their (100% correct) opinion. Whereas, Trump is an adversary who thrives on their criticism. So while they are happy to say Trump is patently unfit and shouldn’t be President for the 100th time, it’s not going to move the needle.

But, no, they absolutely do not want Trump to win.

lol wut

The staff? What influence do they have on the heavily conservative editorial board, columnists, etc?

1 Like