Whereupon We Pontificate About Poor Media Outlet Choices

LOL DIDNT READ DOT JPG

Just explode the media

NYTimes is trash

What kind of explosives should I use?

Ezra Klein gonna have him on the pod to dig into this incredible theory

Peggy Noonan has thoughts.

I wrote last week of where I think we’re going, and why: a very good night for Republicans, with both houses of Congress won and some surprising governorships taken. The wave we are in has been building since the spring and summer of 2020 and the protests and riots sparked by the killing of George Floyd. That period has never been fully appreciated as the time of trauma and disorder it was, with small businesses going up in flames and some downtowns turning into war zones. It was just about that point the Democratic Party made it obvious they’d gone far left on issues of crime and punishment. Then Afghanistan, illegal immigration, inflation and wokeness in the schools. Those things would leave voters turning against a ruling party, and taking from it some of its power.

https://twitter.com/ajc/status/1588561739645345793?s=46&t=Zgk0ABrVUiDdZGttYUKsjA

9 Likes

I just blew milk out my nose.

A claim of faith means nothing. No benefit of the doubt

And it’s all bullshit anyhow

That’s the most NYT Pitchbot-like one I’ve seen, A+

7 Likes

https://twitter.com/Sharkfinhat/status/1588569696903008258

4 Likes

BREAKING NEWS:

https://twitter.com/wsj/status/1589026034481086465?s=46&t=i0yw1E94T_SnTOrEf-5dUQ

2 Likes

Funny, my daughter’s friend got a 1500 on her SATs and is going to retake them to try to get a 1600. I told her she was crazy.

https://twitter.com/akbarjenkins/status/1588935525893046273

2 Likes

Didn’t read yet, but 1550 ain’t that special.

Looks like she knows what’s up.

I now remember that I’ve read this before. Upon reading again she was ranked 23rd in her graduating class. Yeah, that means no shot.

She only got waitlisted at Rice and she got in to UT, but not for the major she wanted.

I have zero doubt she would have thrived at any of those places. There are just way more qualified kids than there are spots.

I skimmed some of the article, will go back later and read it more carefully. Basically sounds like it’s a numbers game. Tons of kids are applying to the best schools, so a very low percentage are accepted. Then like half the kids at Harvard are legacies, donators, VIPs, etc. For the “open” slots, you’re competing against the elite of the elite of the elite.

When I applied to MBA programs, I talked to my cousin’s husband, who used to be on the admissions committee at Stanford. He told me to not even bother applying. My test scores were great (I taught Kaplan classes for a little bit), my academic record was outstanding, etc. He said that he knew I would do really well there, but I’m competing for admissions against people who were Olympic medalists, military veterans, multiple-book authors, tech inventors, and the like. I just had normal consulting experience. It’s not that I didn’t “deserve” to get in or wasn’t qualified, it’s just that the competition was insane.

My daughter is a sophomore in high school, so it will be interesting to see how it all works when she starts applying. I want her to get into the best schools, but I think we’ll have to be realistic and just hope she gets into solid ones and has a wonderful college experience.

It’s a numbers game with some randomness thrown in. Too many people have near identical numbers. At that point it’s just the randomness of who sees your application and whether something on there resonates with them enough for them to pick you.

I know someone with almost exactly your resume that got in to Stanford Business School. Roughly same quality undergrad as yours as well and he graduated Summa. Then management consulting. No Olympics or anything extraordinary.

This was early 2000s. No doubt things are more competitive since then.

Well, shit, maybe I should’ve applied!

I ended up having an excellent experience at Emory, which also meant I didn’t have to move, so I am very happy with how it turned out (aside from never using my MBA education in my career).

Yeah, probably.

Actually, tons of people* I went to undergrad with went the undergrad → consulting/industry —> Business school route. Off the top of my head, the worst B-school anyone went to was Columbia (and that guy is probably the most successful of them all).

*6 people I can think of right now. They were all engineering majors. No one had any thing really special on their CV and no connections.