Whereupon We Pontificate About Poor Media Outlet Choices

Defund NPR

https://twitter.com/nprpolitics/status/1539958225469964294?s=21&t=pWiMOLWpsYW8CNcM97u4Ng

1 Like

LOL

https://twitter.com/jmartnyt/status/1540299958707970052?s=21&t=P_Fclfee6Y27iFcOeNGDaQ

1 Like

Sinema is a head-down moderate who’s taken unceasing criticism from the left for defending the filibuster while cutting bipartisan deals on infrastructure and now gun safety. Her close relationships with Republicans are crucial to that success, giving her intuition for where the GOP might land and helping her serve as a go-between for Murphy and Cornyn.

Sinema described her negotiating style succinctly in an interview: “I am unwilling to accept defeat.”

:face_vomiting:

2 Likes

You can’t ever be defeated if you don’t try in the first place.

Rupar thread pointed this article from 2016 that aged GREAT.

Unlike most people here, I actually like Matt Yglesias most of the time. But this is the dumbest shit I’ve ever seen.

https://twitter.com/mattyglesias/status/1540349278530732032?s=21&t=pMUqWegMwoThmmDfjkRYhw

1 Like

I ignore him. It pisses me off he gets paid well into the six figures to shitpost disingenuously. No better than Bari Weiss for the discourse.

Yggy isn’t even shy about admitting that he’s a troll and people still take him seriously, smh.

He knows where his bread is buttered. His overall style is the data journalism stuff. Taking an idea and loading with statistics, polls, etc. But doing that only gets so far, there are actually a lot of people who do that kind of work, so taking pot shots at the left and saying glib click bait-y things while not going so overboard as to get tossed out keeps you on top of the pile because you’re getting attention.

I give him credit it’s a thin line to walk.

1 Like

It’s a super easy game: he farts out whatever hot take he thinks will rustle left-wing jimmies and people somehow insist on taking him seriously.

I think he’s half right. There was a long game, but RBG dying during Trump and Kennedy allowing himself to be replaced by a conservative that would vote the other way were bigger factors than anything they intentionally did (except for Scalia to Gorsuch, which wasn’t really “long game” and more a crime of opportunity).

1 Like

That’s what I’m talking about. It happened now more because of the bounces than the intentional stuff. But both contributed.

Well, they’ll tell you that those two were obvious fuckups. I’m not sure eliminating obvious fuckups really qualifies as “game”. Maybe technically it does, but it’s like the most trivial aspect.

You guys are genuinely clueless about Yggy, and he’s not a data guy. His bread is buttered by individuals like me paying $10/mo for his substack. He makes about $800k/yr that way. He also has a Bloomberg column as a side gig. He trolls occasionally, but 90% of his content is sincere analysis. He supported Bernie but he doesn’t kowtow to the kind of shallow, incoherent leftism often advanced by his critics.

Luck is preparation meets opportunity

If you’re conservative, I don’t think you needed to be Nostradamus to figure that Souter was kind of a wild card. You seriously don’t think circa 1990, given unlimited time and resources, you couldn’t find a judge who was a rock solid conservative like Scalia or Alito. Even without the federalist society, it not like an impossible task. It shouldn’t even be that hard.

My point is the opportunity was so good, the preparation wasn’t really that necessary. It did help, but not as much as some think.

1 Like

It sure would be nice if he showed half the emotion over our human rights getting evaporated as he does when for instance someone makes an overly mean comment to him on twitter. The main criticism of Yggy is that this is all clearly just a game to him.

https://twitter.com/mattyglesias/status/1540342123970568196

Not replacing Scalia until after the election is incredibly slick preparation and execution that Democrats wouldn’t have pulled off in a million years.

1 Like