Whereupon We Pontificate About Poor Media Outlet Choices

https://twitter.com/nytimes/status/1395045348335357956?s=19

5 Likes

https://twitter.com/HanaaTameez/status/1298256278876127234

GFY NBC

6 Likes

https://twitter.com/ichotiner/status/1395786288037572610?s=21

“A fascist says he’s not a fascist”

I don’t even know what to say. What a rag. The article is literally just “here is a platform for a Republican to lie in our newspaper.”

“Academics in the social sciences and humanities in the US and Britain say their departments are a hostile environment for their beliefs.”

Good. Their beliefs are toxic.

Does someone have a short explanation of what happened between 1960 and 1972 and then again between 1990 and 1998?

60-72 was the rise of heroin and other drug trafficking and white flight to the suburbs.

90-98 Guiliani became mayor in 94. And the developers were starting the gentrification process. And turning NYC into a more family friendly tourist destination.

There’s more to it than that. But those are a couple factors off the top of my head.

1 Like

A lot of people will say lead and better policing (lol) but the real answer is nobody knows.

Roe vs Wade might also have something to do with the decline in the 90s. A lot less babies being born into circumstances that would make them prime candidates to become criminals.

Don’t know if its a one time thing, or a more permanent thing, but my local NBC affiliate pre-empted “Meet The Press” today and instead aired infomercials. I’m good with that.

Wait, I thought MTP is a paid infomercial for the GOP?!

2 Likes

None of this matters, the decline in crime at that time happened nationwide.

I mean…

1 Like

If the lead theory is true shouldn‘t we have expected the crime rate to drop even more to reflect the drastic decrease in lead in blood levels?

No, lead isn’t the only cause of crime.

1 Like

Yeah this is the whole problem with lead-crime theory. The correlation is there, the plausibility is there, but there’s nothing close to a control group available.

Compounding that, the places where kids currently have lots of exposure to lead are also the places that don’t have any funding for… well, anything else. So any correlation involving lead exposure today is also going to involve 20 other things that could lead to increased crime.

1 Like

There’s data from other countries available. One cited in the article I linked was that of Jamaica, which started phasing out leaded gasoline in 1990 and banned it in 2000. Fast forward 20 odd years to when kids born then start reaching adulthood. Sure enough, the murder rate dropped 40% between 2009 and 2013. It’s just one example, there are others.

Right thats another data point. Same problem though - what else changed in Jamaica over that period?

Like, it doesn’t matter that much because there’s hardly any motivation to start putting lead back in things. Its just a perpetual problem with socioeconomic theory. It lacks the repeatability of science because you can’t really create controlled lab environments.