What Is Your Listening Setup? (Audiophile / Hi-Fi)

Gonna roll this thread into one of the purposes I originally intended: posting music. I’m looking for exceptional recordings, production, sound, engineering, etc., that really come to life on good systems. One thing I’ve noticed is that some of my favorite music doesn’t hold up to this test because the recording quality is objectively bad and that is magnified on revealing equipment.

One of the most recommended albums for this purpose is Michael Jackson’s Thriller which is a masterpiece of a recording. A couple things to listen for: the maracas in the right channel that run all the way through Billie Jean–they should be clear but not harsh; foley (creaking door, howling) and imaging in the title track Thriller.

Lesser known is experimental musician Yosi Horikawa, which I’d describe as ASMR meets music. Bubbles is usually the first track that pops up but I think some of the others are more diverse.

2 Likes

Good idea, I’ll try to contribute some when I have time to rejoin this thread.

Re: Flow, awesome man glad they’re living up to expectations so far.

It’s really amazing to me that closed backs can sound like this given how boxy and 2D every other pair I’ve heard or owned sounded. Also, at only low/moderate volume the outside world is completely nonexistent which is exactly what I needed for concentrating on work.

Anecdote: Was watching a Gordon Ramsay video on Youtube where he’s cooking for some people at home. I hear this lady faintly laughing which I assumed was coming from the hall outside my door given the direction I was facing and the sound coming from behind me and to the left. Jogging the video around I heard it again so I peek out and there’s no one in the hall. Then it dawned on me. I queued it up on the timestamp and replayed it a half dozen times to verify it was coming from the audio track, which it was, yet my brain’s audio codec was fooled every time.

1 Like

I’ll go ahead and share my setup, beginning with the star of the show: a 15-year old, $25 Walmart pair of Altec Lansing speakers that came with a subwoofer. They’re plugged into the bedroom computer, which I watch TV/movies on. You have to position them on the rear edge of the desk so that the weight of the cord holds them up, otherwise they immediately fall on their nose. They’re tiny like most computer speakers, but they don’t sound it! Not bad at all, the hubby and I love em.

My husband is a musician who does his own mixing and mastering, so he has more appropriate speakers in his studio. They were passed along by a friend of his family who hand-built them. However, he does most of his mixing on headphones. Thanks to me, he uses the PSB m4u1. He also does some mixing with one of my pairs, the Onkyo A800.

The A800 is unfortunately discontinued and hard to find, and when the pads go I’ll probably be SOL, but as of now it’s my clearest, most accurate pair. I mostly use it for classical / jazz / acoustic. It was my pair for all genres until I tried the iBasso SR1.

For whatever reason, the SR1 was limited-edition and so it, too, is discontinued (but is still available from third parties). This pair made me a believer in different pairs for different genres. It’s not particularly good at classical and jazz, primarily because the timbre is off. However, I don’t believe I’ll ever hear a better pair for rock! Before hearing the SR1, I thought I was already at the stage where any additional gains in this hobby would be diminishing; I was wrong because the SR1 blew my mind. Whereas the A800’s sound is neutral / Harman curve (therefore perhaps similar to a well-EQ’d Beyer dt-880), the SR1 has its own tuning which is darker in the 7k+ region and also dialed back in the upper mids. This tuning is apparently magical for rock, sounding more balanced and full-bodied to my ears. It’s like somehow all instruments/elements stand out at once, like the song was mixed on these headphones.

Those two headphones complete each other, but before hearing them, I tried a DIY planar-magnetic called the Sash, which remains in my lineup. A guy named Sasha in Ukraine makes it to order. So far it’s the only planar I’ve tried and it’s wonderful. (Ukraine is game to you? Another guy in Ukraine makes a more widely known DIY planar called the Verum One, which is regarded as another success.) The Sash is versatile genre-wise and has a fun sound; the Senn hd6xx (which I liked) sounded boring next to these. The sound is colored by a hump in the lower mids (iirc), giving it a lush sound which is more noticeable in some songs than others. For instance, it makes Thom Yorke’s voice sound like a cool filter effect is applied–an interesting way to listen to Radiohead! This pair’s unique presentation earns it a continued spot in my listening rotation.

As for source, I mostly listen from my DAPs, which are no-frills. The Hidizs Ap100 is my main driver, but when I want a built-in portable amp I use the Hifiman HM-603. The drawback of the Hifiman is that it can’t play very low frequencies like the rumble in this song. Currently, the Sash is my only pair that needs amping, for which I use a clean solid-state desktop amp of modest power (when not listening on the Hifiman).

2 Likes

Here are two recordings I listened to recently that I think are worth mentioning:

Danger Zone - Kenny Loggins (1986)

I was surprised at how good the production is on this track given its age. Since I consider it a harder pop/rock track and certainly not a dance track, I expected it to have no bass at all, but it actually fills out with really good bass extension (Yamaha DX7 for the nerds). In popular music like rock/pop/dance, older recordings have not aged well at all, especially the stuff before compact disc became popular. It’s almost always lacking in bass (specifically sub-bass) and sounds very standard definition compared to modern recordings. I think they used to just chop off anything below 80 hz and it shows.

Like a Prayer - Madonna (1989)

It’s the dance queen herself so I expected more bass, but I was surprised at how much it sounds like modern recordings. Could almost imagine it being a new song that just came out today. Very clear, balanced, and HD sounding. The only thing I thought was kind of weird is how much air she sucks in between lines lol.

I tried the Tidal Hi-Fi lossless and ran an A/B with Spotify over the course of a month. This wasn’t a blind test so who knows if these results would hold up, but I’m pretty sure I can hear a difference on most tracks I listened to; there’s just a touch more clarity and separation in the lossless. I mean it’s very slight, not unlike toggling an EQ that’s only boosting or cutting a dB or two. I think I even preferred the compression on some tracks for casual listening.

Verdict: I don’t see myself paying $19.99/mo for it. However, it has a few other unique features: exclusive (mostly video) artist content, higher artist royalties, and detailed production credits for tracks. If those things are important to you, their $9.99/mo lossy plan is priced the same as Spotify. If you require podcasts then you’ll need Spotify.

2 Likes

I asked in the video game thread but didn’t get any replies so X-posting in here where I might get a more satisfactory answer. I’m looking to replace/upgrade my PS4 headphones for my PS5, as well as gaming on my PC/Switch and possibly some light general use as well. I definitely don’t consider myself an audiophile and would probably rate comfort and out-of-the-box calibration as my highest priorities, although I’d like something that takes advantage of modern technology if possible. Someone recommended the ATH m50x headphones as a solid general use headset so I’m considering that but I might ultimately prefer wireless. Basically I’m hoping to have a few options that sound good and then buy whichever one has the best price point or goes on sale in the near future. Thanks!

Im glad you bumped this because I waa looking for a thread like this, even though I dont have an answer to your question, sorry.

I mentioned in the LC thread that Samsung took away its headphone jack and im looking for wireless buds now, but im having some trouble.

Historically buds do not stay in my ears well at all. I bought the Samsung buds + on a bit of a whim as they had great scores for staying in ears, and everyone who said that was right. Finally something that doesnt fall out while doing basic or even strenuous tasks.

Two problems have arisen though. 1) these things hurt after a while. Maybe an hour, maybe three, but I have a feeling good buds should be wearable the majority of the day without pain.

1. im not a fan of the ambience option. Being able to hear people through the buds is fantastic and I feel like I have super hearing sometimes now, but there is this constant low din that makes me feel like im going crazy after a while. Im not sure if thats normal for that feature but hopefully not.

So im hoping someone has some experience with good fitting buds that dont hurt after a while and maybe dont have the constant low buzzing while ambient mode is on.

Do you want headphones that are accurate or are you fine with something that colors the sound? What is the absolute maximum you’d be willing to spend?

It doesn’t look like I have any wires, but I forgot I had these things from like 20 years ago, anything cool I can do with them? Ebay seems to be around ~$35 for the pair. Aiwa sx-lm99

I know this is anathema but assume I won’t care or notice either way. Probably $200 given how much I will be using them, although I’d consider slightly higher if it makes a massive difference.

Honestly the most likely scenario is I cave and buy something convenient that’s good enough for my purposes. However since it’s the type of purchase I don’t make very often I’d like some input from people with expertise that might color my views in a way that gets me something better than I would have found otherwise.

I reread your earlier post and and would recommend taking a bit of time to make your decision if you absolutely don’t have to have them right now. There are several things you need to consider that you may not be thinking about. Good news is you can get something fantastic at your price point, but there are also a lot of traps.

I’ll start with some general things I’d be looking for in gaming headphones. I think attributes you’d want for gaming are imaging, soundstage, and comfort. In general, it’s tough to do soundstage in a closed headphone; open headphones perform much better in this regard on average. Of course, open headphones do not contain sound at all so they are basically a home use headphone only. Closed excel at travel / not annoying people around you and blocking out external sound. Key decision point:

Do you have a strong preference for open or closed?

ATH-M50x is closed and is known for lacking soundstage. I’ve also read plenty of complaints about comfort. It does not have a neutral frequency response. Audiophiles who review tons of headphones tend to dislike it, not because it’s awful but because there are so many other good options. They strike me as a decent travel headphone though and might be one of the better picks if you are set on wireless.

I tend to watch reviews by people who are critical but fair and have experience comparing many different headphones.

Tagging @eeAWW.

They 100% need to be closed given my living situation and how I typically use them.

I should note that these are mostly for single player games so mic quality and group chat considerations are low priority.

Also there’s no urgency, I specifically thought this would be a fun topic to do a deepish dive on and figure out what I want.

1 Like

Ok that narrows things a lot. Do you have to have mic capability though?

No, the PS5 controller has a mic built in.

1 Like

I recently bought the Sony WH-1000XM4s, which was a big splurge for me at ~$350. I was debating for a long time between them and the Shure Aonic 50s.

I have been a big fan of Shure microphones over the years, so definitely biased toward the brand. I eventually grabbed the Sony pair because they have a smaller profile (the Shures are massive and look a little ridiculous, imo), which is important for headphones that I want to lug around and occasionally wear while walking. Sony is a bit bass heavy out of the box, but there are some good tutorials about how to tweak the EQ to your liking, which was easy enough and actually kind of fun.

I’m very happy with them: sound amazing, great noise cancelling, comfortable, decent battery life, look nice, easy bluetooth pairing across two devices at once (critical for phone calls).

2 Likes

But I wouldn’t buy them just for gaming. Probably a bit much.

1 Like

Yeah I won’t be getting that much utility out of them to justify spending more than around $200.

1 Like

Alright cool. For $200 maybe start here:

Not sure if you know of this guy but he’s a Youtube crank that reviews audio gear. If something sucks he will totally eviscerate it.

Tyll is a much more positive-spirited reviewer yet still critical while fair:

And a gamer’s take on them as well:

2 Likes

Those sound dope, I wish they were wireless but I’m probably going to try them. Is the 99 Noir the same as the 99 Neo? I’d prefer to get them on Amazon since I have some credit on there.