What Is Your Listening Setup? (Audiophile / Hi-Fi)

You qualify.

1 Like

Donā€™t remember reading any reviews where anyone had to pull it down. The filter sets that come with it roll the treble off to different degrees apparently.

The curette procedure was a long time ago. They were cold metal rods with hoops on the end and it kind of hurt; I remember thinking ā€œI wonder if sheā€™s actually ever done this before?ā€ Iā€™m not fully plugged right now, managing to keep it from that point with peroxide / mineral oil and irrigation but I think ultimately Iā€™ll have to go in for a procedure because I havenā€™t been able to break anything loose.

Iā€™m close to 40 and can still hear nearly 16k Hz. Itā€™s interesting to me because very recently I realized my dad (late 60s) cannot hear a 4k Hz tone. We both love music, but I have the new perspective of his hearing loss and how that may affect what heā€™s hearing. My brother bought him IEMs last year that Iā€™d describe as extremely bright and it didnā€™t even phase him. Makes sense now in retrospect.

Nothing 4khz and higher? Jesus. Is that from decades of being a drummer or something?

Someone my husband knows has a threshold of 8k iirc, so one time hubby played a song in Audacity with everything above 8k muted so we could hear it like our friend does. Holy shit. Ever have your hearing shot for the rest of the night after attending a live gig that was way too loud for the tiny venue? The filter very much reminded me of that moment you leave the bar.

I tried to find my cap last year but the really high pitches weirded me out, theyā€™re like needles in the ear. When I got to like 18k I was content to just make it stop.

Still rocking my Onkyo receiver and Polk 10s from college - 30 years ago. And they still sound great. Incredible how long solid state technology not built by Apple can last.

My car has a couple pretty badass front door speakers, a good 100W amp and a modest subwoofer.

I canā€™t ever get into good headphones because I can never find any that fit completely over my giant ears. If they even touch the edge of the ear it starts to hurt after 30 minutes and gets really painful after an hour.

2 Likes

Just got the Shure Aonic 50s. Absolutely love them. Iā€™ve had the last generation Bose QCs, last generation Sony 1000xm, and they blow them both away when it comes to sound quality. They are also super comfortable and way better build quality.

Drawbacks are slightly worse noise cancelling and they are bulkier, and the carry case is massive.

Correct. We knew he suffered hearing damage as a child in one ear, but he canā€™t hear 4k at all in either ear. I kept taking it down in Audacity and it faintly came in for him around 3900. Shortly after, he began to describe tinnitus. He hasnā€™t been able to hear high freqs for a long time but I had no idea it was that low. Urged him to see an audiologist or ENT but he wonā€™t because BOOMERS.

USB power brick ā†’ Raspberry Pi ā†’ Audacity ā†’ AQ Dragonfly ā†’ Etymotic ERx ā†’ the highest sine wave your victim can hear

Thatā€™s the schematic for a highly-portable torture device.

:heart:

That sucks. I have tiny ears which is a big advantage in the headphone game. There has to be something out there for you though.

Maybe just over the ears instead of around the ears.

Iā€™ve had on-ears before and didnā€™t like them much at all. Have you tried Sennheisers in the 500/600 line?

Turns out they are the HD565 ovationsā€¦the most comfortable headphones Iā€™ve ever seen

2 Likes

I wasnt sure how much the word ā€œaudiophileā€ was being used tongue in cheek because in some circles it became a term of derision. Although reading the thread Iā€™m gonna guess you all arenā€™t buying Pear Cables so it might just be semantics.

Mikro Brilliant Pebbles - The small but powerful Mikro Brilliant Pebbles comes in a small ziplock bag and is intended for use in proximity to low level electron tubes in electronics and for all interconnects and digital cables, draped over or taped to the RCA connector at one or both ends of the cable. Also, on the power cord connector on the amp side. One or two Mikros is very effective placed on top of Quantum Electraclear & Quantum Symphony parallel line purifiers. Mikros can also be taped to glass doors and windows to control resonances. $29 each.

4 Likes

SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY

1 Like

Wait I need to know how danceable those pebbles are first.

Machina Dynamicaā€™s Nimbus Sub-Hertz Platform (No Longer Available)

Worldā€™s Only Single Airspring Isolation Platform

Theory of Operation

Sub-Hertz Performance

Machina Dynamicaā€™s Nimbus Sub-Hertz Platform is a unique, 6 degree-of-freedom isolation device with extremely low resonant frequencies - as low as 0.5 Hz. Nimbus isolates the component from ā€œlarge-scale effectsā€ such as footfalls and traffic-generated vibration as well as the everyday low level microseismic type vibration thatā€™s much less obvious. Nimbusā€™ unusual design characteristics are examined in the following paragraphs.

You really need this for controlling seismic effects from footfalls, but maybe by ā€œdanceableā€ you meant hypothetically danceable or head danceable as used on internet forums: ā€œThese fly beats are so danceable that if I were to danceā€“which, in practice, I absolutely will notā€“then this would really get my ass movingā€ aka ā€œI could totally see myself dancing to thisā€ in which case you need a psychoacoustic seismic dampener.

2 Likes

No doubt Iā€™m flossin.

For something, Iā€™m sure. What exactly, I donā€™t know.

Got the Sony WH1000XM4 NC headphones for travelling. Of course COVID hit so they have not been used yet. Need to find some good audio for the tv/living room but no idea what to buy. Guaranteed to stay in this appartment for the next 10 years so could justify buying something pricey for xmas.

No doubt a large % of audiophiles are wackos who make us all look crazy, so the derision is warranted. Iā€™m more in the objectivist/measurement camp and try not to fall prey to snake oil such as cables and, IMO, expensive amps & dacs. (I did believe in dacs for a minute because of an unlucky early experience with a bad mp3 player leading me to think dacs made a different in general, until I tried more dacs to realize they donā€™t. I at least expected a hyped r2r dac to beat my cheapo laptop motherboard, but it didnā€™t, so my ability to put bias aside when listening has saved me a chunk of change. Now I stick to the gear that truly matters, such as the pebbles Lawnmower_Man linked to ;)

2 Likes

I used to have https://petertyson.co.uk/bowers-wilkins-607-standmount-speakers

With the kevlar cones & a marantz CD & Amp all bought in around 1990/2000

I got the Amp & CD player at a very decent price, paid Ā£100 for the CD player & Ā£200 for the speakers and amp, for get the models but the CD player was a top review at the time & the B/W speakers are just superb for the price.

I preferred that set up at the time to denon as it was better, alough denon did produce better quality stuff going forward.

My brother has a cyrus set up & itā€™s amazing tbh but pricey, hes spent more Ā£ on sound gear that his house :blush: and finally settled on thisā€¦

Amazing sounds with the B/W pod speakers

3 Likes

Lol, yeah, like I said itā€™s just semantics; by this definition Iā€™m an audiophile too.

And in relative terms itā€™s funny; Iā€™ve told normies ā€œyeah you donā€™t need all that snake oil bullshit, my two headphones ā€˜onlyā€™ cost 150 and 375 dollarsā€ and then their jaws drop that I said to spend more than 20 on some headphones.

Due to wax problems and discomfort, I decided to stop using IEMs entirely. Problem is I needed good closed back headphones to replace them and good closed back headphones are notoriously hard to come by. I ultimately determined I was willing to pay up (within reason) given how often I might be using these and finally landed on a pair of MrSpeakers Aeon Flow Closed (1st gen). My top priorities were isolation, neutral signature, comfort, and soundstage and these have delivered on all of those things and more.

I was going to post a full review, but Iā€™ll hold off for now for two reasons. First, these drivers apparently need ~100 more hours to fully break in. Second, Iā€™m not sure I can say much at this point that hasnā€™t already been said. For example, this review hits most of the points Iā€™d make:

Iā€™ll emphasize some of my key impressions:

1. The build quality really is immaculate and they are incredibly comfortable. They arenā€™t clampy or heavy at all. Not sure Iā€™d say they are as comfortable as an HD 6xx series (lighter with velour) but theyā€™re close.

2. Planar magnetic bass is different. It really hits with some heft that I havenā€™t experienced before, but I wouldnā€™t call these bassy headphones. Itā€™s just that the bass has both superb clarity and weight.

3. The resolution is much better than, e.g., Sennheiser 5xx/6xx series. I think itā€™s a technical property of planar magnetics but these really do render detail to a new degree for me.

4. The imaging has almost pinpoint accuracy Iā€™d say. Not just left/right but also from slightly behind and above/below. Some sounds will oddly and noticeably render above or below everything else. In other words, while you could locate the sounds by pointing them out in 3D space, that location doesnā€™t always make much sense to me. That could just be an artifact of a studio recording though. I listened to a few orchestras that gave the impression I was sitting toward the back of a music hall which was interesting.

1. The treble is oddly noticeable sometimes. In particular, hand claps sound weird and really stick out to me where they havenā€™t before. On the other hand (!), some instruments like a well-recorded snare hit with itā€™s snappy transient and sizzling highs sound amazingly realistic. Havenā€™t noticed much sibilance. There are several sets of filters that can influence all of this but I havenā€™t played with them much.

Iā€™m mostly powering these off an iFi xCan with AptX Bluetooth. Spotify, Tidal, FLAC files from my phone, laptop, and Sony Walkman DAP. If I donā€™t want to amp they are fine for podcasts/vlogs and background music but not loud music.

1 Like