What Is Your Listening Setup? (Audiophile / Hi-Fi)

The Neos have plastic cups instead of wood. Whether that changes the sound signature or whether there are other differences I’m not sure. I will deep dive it for you though and check to make sure the other specs are the same. One really good thing about these is they are 103 db / 32 ohm which means you can drive them to loud levels with any device you own.

The thing about wireless is that you usually give up a significant amount of quality and technical capability at the same price point. The Meze are definitely audiophile grade headphones and are on the InnerFidelity Wall of Fame. If you wanted to make them pseudo-wireless you could pick up a Bluetooth amp/dac like the Radsone EarStudio at some point.

1 Like

He said sound quality is not a high priority and he might not even notice. I wouldn’t suggest a wired pair, personally, given the purpose and his needs.

Probably should just skim a CNET article like this one and pick a pair that’s comfortable, wireless, and in price range.

A quick search indicates that most of the ones in my price range off this list are either incompatible with or otherwise unsuitable for wireless gaming. I think if I want to go wireless I end up with a gaming dedicated headset like one of these:

Logitech G PRO X Wireless Lightspeed Gaming Headset with Blue VO!CE Mic Filter Tech, 50 mm PRO-G Drivers, and DTS Headphone:X 2.0 Surround Sound https://www.amazon.com/dp/B081PP4CB6/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_6QQME1R9WNGZXBPHQ4Z8?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1]

HyperX Cloud Flight S - Wireless Gaming Headset, 7.1 Surround Sound, 30 Hour Battery Life, Qi Wireless Charging, Detachable Microphone with LED Mute Indicator, Compatible with PC & PS4 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B082R1GMV2/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_2KHNMVD40X9ME06VSGQW?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

The thing is since I won’t be using the gaming features much (mic, group chat), I may be ending up with something that emphasizes those over sound quality and I’ll get more enjoyment over having better sound, even if I’m not noticing the top end quality. The only downside of not getting Bluetooth headphones is that I likely won’t be able to use them with my phone but the only time I listen to my phone is on an airplane or something similar and I have earbuds for that.

Idk I’m pretty intrigued by the Meze 99s and leaning towards giving them a shot.

What is the best pair of headphones you’ve owned or listened to?

These are all ANC though which is a huge overpay if he doesn’t need that feature. Good PNC goes a really long way. When my Aeons are playing back at just moderate volume I can’t hear anything at all. I’m highly skeptical of this claim that he won’t notice or won’t care about a difference in sound quality.

I have no idea. I currently use a Playstation 4 Gold headset that I was perfectly happy with but it’s getting ratty and I feel like the quality isn’t as good with the PS5.

There was a review on the 99 Neos that specifically talked about gaming that really sold me:

For those wondering what I have to compare this too, I actually do have two pair of headphones normally used by folks who want a more flat analytical sound. MDR-7506s, professional Sony mixing headphones that have excellent vocal clarity for the price but are a bit lacking in the fun department because of it (they’re just not made for it honestly, but if you are watching a movie or podcast or something they’re still real good cans), and ATH-M50x’s, the classic Audio Technicas. While a bit bassy for their reference style, they’re still not as THUMPy as these Mezes. And out of the three? I know which one I’ll be keeping hooked up to my PC the most. the Technicas and the MDRs might go with me on casual walks or to work, but for when I just want to have fun jamming or gaming? These are excellent.

I asked in one of my social Discord servers and these were the two models that were specifically recommended to me. At this point I’m pretty much sold and going to take a flyer on them; if I immediately dislike them for some reason (not likely) I can always return them.

What do these mean?

Also I think I agree with your point that you are trying to make: 1) I’ve probably never used legit good headphones before and 2) I will probably notice the difference in using them.

1 Like

There are definitely some Bluetooth options worth checking out, just know that you’ll most likely be paying more. That’s where I think the Audio Technicas might at least be justifiable. But here are a few that come to mind without digging:

Sennheiser Momentum 3 ($349)
https://en-us.sennheiser.com/momentumwireless
Drop THX Panda ($399)

V-Moda Crossfade 2 Wireless ($279)

Audeze Mobius ($399)

Audeze Penrose ($299)

You’ll notice these are all above $200, but I’d be shocked if you couldn’t find some deals. For example, the earlier editions of those Sennheisers can be had for cheaper. Don’t be afraid to look at open box from reputable dealers. Due to the nature of headphones being subjective and personal, most places have a return policy. I bought a great set for 1/3rd retail from authorized dealer with full warranty because the outer box was slightly damaged.

ANC = Active Noise Canceling. Mics sample surrounding sound then do some tricky math to create waves that phase cancel those sounds and play them back in your headphones. They are good at canceling lower frequencies but the effects start to diminish when you get into the mids past 1k.

PNC = Passive Noise Canceling. No electronics involved in this, just the ear muff effect like what you’d wear at a shooting range. It comes down to the physical design of the headphone like material choices and clamping force with some being better than others.

1 Like

Right. The best pair of headphones I had for a long time were some decent AKGs that were maybe $80 cans. Then I went to Sennheisers that were double the price wondering how closely I’d have to pay attention to notice any difference, and the difference was “holy shit” as soon as I pressed play.

I looked at the differences between Neos vs the Classic/Noir. The Neos have more pronounced bass and mid-bass and are less neutral. “More” bass isn’t necessarily good since it can bleed into the mids. Also, more says nothing about the quality and tightness of the bass. The overall sound signature is dark.

There were some minor differences in the technical specs such as the Neos having a slightly lower impedance at 26 ohms, but that is probably negligible. Apparently some tweaks to the cable made it less microphonic which is good. Ultimately, the difference in bass might be attributable to using different pads. Yes, the ear pads can make a huge difference in frequency response. The good news is that if you find the Neo too bassy, rolling the pads to the PU/velour hybrid ($20) apparently goes a long way in pulling down the bass:

https://www.reddit.com/r/headphones/comments/9zamrn/meze_99_neo_200_bass_cannons_until_you_throw/

2 Likes

Surely there’s a USB-C to 3.5 mm dongle you can get for your phone to plug straight in, but even if there isn’t or you don’t like being tethered to the phone, you can pick up a Bluetooth amp/dac that clips to your shirt or pants.

How were the Shures other than being ridiculous large?

I never actually tried them, just watched a bunch of reviews and mostly decided against them because they are huge with a huge case that isn’t really practical for throwing in a backpack and taking to the coffee shop or wherever. I would love to try them some day.

IMO the m50x are overhyped. Maybe the hype was deserved 15 years ago but back then they were half the price and there wasn’t as much competition. When it comes to Audio-Technica I think the m40x sounds significantly better and it’s 5/9 the price. But these days I’d just tell people to get the AKG k371 if they’re looking in that range and category.

@mjiggy maybe you can get the Audeze Mobius for a lucky price. For instance, if you can win this auction within your budget then you’ll have scored. I haven’t tried them myself but I plan to get a pair for my hubby when we’re less poor. The reviewer Lawnmower linked did a thorough Mobius review.

3 Likes

Dang that’s twice now that Drop wasn’t true to the source when remaking a legendary pair. I was disappointed when people said that about the Panda (compared to the Oppo PM3). But at least a pad swap fixes the Neo.

1 Like

To be clear, Drop released the Noir which seems to be sonically identical to the Classic but with a different color scheme. The Neo was released and sold by Meze themselves.

1 Like

And despite this Panda talk, we’re still ignoring the elephant in the room which is that Drop released an 8xx (!!!).

1 Like

The galaxy buds? Those are supposed to sound great! Shame about the pain.

Are your options limited to buds or can you also do IEMs? IEMs ought to fit well because they’re basically musical ear plugs, and since they’re soft they probably won’t hurt. But idk if having something inside your ear canal for 3+ hours is picking a different poison.

I haven’t read much about buds because I gave up on them a long time ago. One of my ears has mild cauliflower ear and buds fall out of it if I so much as blink.

1 Like

Oh shit, awesome! I’ve been intentionally in the dark about headphone news but that’s an elephant indeed. I’ve yet to demo the 800s but it’s nice to know that it’s essentially come down in price (without having to do the “s mod” to an 800).

1 Like

Thanks, I appreciate your input. LMM and I had a discussion on Discord and I decided to try to SteelSeries Arctis 7P for now because it seemed to meet all my needs at a reasonable price point, even if it doesn’t max out the audio capabilities per dollar. I do like the idea of trying to score some used Audeze headphones—either model—but I’m admittedly wary of getting them off eBay, so I’m going to keep my eyes open in case the Arctis don’t work out. The Penrose are available for $225 used on Amazon and I could swing that but we noted a number or people complaining about persistent issues with them, which scares me just enough to go with something less expensive to start.

1 Like