What is the most obscure thing you do regularly?

He did buy them before he got laid.

He also bought them after he got laid. But he bought them before, too.

1 Like

You should try going to them, they’re really cool! You’re not even that far from San Diego which has one of the best ones.

1 Like

This is pretty fascinating as I used to engineer for an internet radio show he did 20 years ago (almost positive it’s the same guy based on his bio though he doesn’t mention the place I’m talking about and there’s no clear picture of him).

He is an a-hole (you don’t grow out of what he was like as he was already nearly 30 or over 30 at the time). He once bastardized ‘engineers’ into a word with the worst racial epithet in the middle of a 25+ staff member meeting (shouldn’t be hard to figure it out) and absolutely no one in management cared when he would have gotten fired over that at many places. He wasn’t saying it as a joke, he was saying it with derision. I despised him after that.

We got along ‘fine’ on air (I engineered the last hour of his show each day) and one day he actually showed some empathy toward me about something bad that had happened to me on the way in to work (an actual crack in the persona he constantly demonstrated any time I had previously interacted with him). Me and another engineer were willing to work with him to create a demo or record for his band he was in at the time, but after several instances where he showed his azz, that went away quick. The dude knows music, there’s no question about that (everyone at that internet station was a genius with music many of whom went on to do shows at XM and other various LA radio stations), but his ego was unreal and he was just not a nice guy in general.

Sorry to be a downer.

1 Like

I participate in a monthly (Skype) get-together with old college friends to watch reruns of the Starz show Spartacus while playing an excessively detailed drinking game.

This has lasted for 5 years and multiple viewings of every season.

14 Likes

More than zero!

3 Likes

Here are the main rules, if anyone else wants to die and/or experience brain trauma. DO NOT watch multiple consecutive episodes under these rules.

Drink anytime:
There is a cheesy blood effect
Someone dies
Crixus yells
There is a slow-motion effect
You feel angry about the recasting of Naevia
You feel sad about the death of Andy Whitfield
There is a snarky bald man
There is a particularly well-written piece of dialogue
There is nudity
Power dynamics make you angry about the state of modern-day US
There are a couple others I’m not stoked about repeating.

The real problem is when Crixus kills someone in slow-mo, while yelling into a backdrop of cheesy blood. Also you are required to sing along any time the song “Blood rains down from an angry sky…” makes an appearance.

ETA: I did the math and this has actually been a 10+ year tradition, on-and-off. My present self takes no blame for any aspect of this activity’s creation.

4 Likes

That reminds me of the one thing you can do to make GoT worth it when you rewatch

4 Likes

Same, but http://wikimapia.org/. It’s a real shame the site is pretty much a ghost town now.

I’ve been!

This might be the thread winner so far.

Id like a more specific example, please. One of both great and terrible.

Also, in terms of awful, this is one of my all time favorite podcast episodes about anything.

https://www.stitcher.com/podcast/citation-needed-3/e/59031823

1 Like

Lol that one is infamous across all fandoms, I think.

1 Like

Rewatch obscure event replays from the 2016 Olympics on olympicchannel.com

1 Like

Marble League!

6 Likes

This is incredibly watchable. I imagine it would only get better if drinking and gambling were involved.

2 Likes

I am fascinated by rare diseases and spend a lot of time learning about them, primarily through academic journals or webinars/presentations by the few experts on the respective diseases. Did you know that Peter Mayhew had Marfan syndrome, President Eisenhower had a pheochromocytoma, or that the Blue People of Kentucky had hereditary methemoglobinemia?

7 Likes

I played PT 25th anniversary. It was sweet

2 Likes

I also like to repair and restore old broken stuff. I’ve always enjoyed taking things apart and putting them back together. Some of the jobs are out of my league and I have to farm out the work (complicated upholstery, mechanical watch repair). My current project is a 1930s pool table that has a significant crack in the slate. My favorite finished piece is a tubular chrome art deco chair from the same era that was ripped and rusted when I found it.

9 Likes

I don’t know if this is obscure but I pick up litter when I am walking the dog as I carry bags to dispose of his waste. Actually I pick it up other times too if a bin is handy. I really hate litter especially on beaches.

7 Likes

Really? I can’t believe that I’ve never heard of this reported given how prolific Phelps is. You got a link or something? I just skimmed his wikipedia page and I didn’t see it there. Seems like a pretty major omission unless I just missed it.