What is the most obscure thing you do regularly?

Reading the LC movie talk shitshow made me want to emphasize that people like dumb stuff. What’s something that you like that everyone else avoids (presumably because it’s dumb). Most people’s first thought is going to be media based but I mean anything, could be visiting a rock in the desert no one goes to or whatever but you have to do it at least somewhat regularly.

For me it’s either watching an autistic man pit AI against each other in a PC game from 2005 (this is the championship final so spoiler warning) about 100 people watched this live where top streamers get 50k viewers.

or watching a grown man trying to play a children’s card game without spending any money on it again 100 people watching live.

2 Likes

I purchase one or two beta basic lands (magic the gathering, set from 1994 I believe) every month or so. That seems pretty obscure.

6 Likes

I play Brawl Stars on my phone which is a 3 on 3 overhead fighting/shooting game mostly played by kids, Koreans and Mexicans.

I also collect 1st appearances of characters in comic books.

3 Likes

Regularly read several academic journals.

4 Likes

I collected comics for a few years and your comment got me to dig through some storage boxes I haven’t been into for a long time … but it was worth it :slight_smile:

edit: wow - that was 32 years ago

2 Likes

I watch talent show auditions (The Voice, X Factor, xxx Got Talent, etc) on youtube. I don’t watch them on TV, so I rarely know who the overall winners are, so I try to pick them out from their auditions. I’m rarely correct, because audience voting invariably chooses wrong. These shows would put me on so much tilt if I watched them live.

Also, and I cannot believe I’m about to admit this to anyone, I read fanfiction. Now that you’re finished laughing, because so much of it is poor, it’s really made me appreciate well-written fiction all the more. Also, every once in a great while, I come across one that is as good as or better than anything you find being published today.

11 Likes

1 Like

I watch a bloke solving sodoku puzzles

3 Likes

Probably playing lots of Eternal card game which I learned about from 22. I think a few posters on here still play it too or at least they used to. I’ve quit multiple times out of frustration but for some reason keep coming back, probably because I’ve been playing so long that I have tons of in-game currency for playing limited mode and crafting cards.
I even qualified for a tournament finals being held today which is a feeder for Worlds, despite not being much of a competitive player. Other than playing MtG in middle school and I guess if we include poker I’ve never played any other Competitive card game.

I don’t know if the sudoku dude is so obscure right now, he’s kind of blown up lately. I’ve been following him for awhile. The video you posted is one of his best though, imo.

Can you give a link to an example of one of the best and an example of one of the worst? I’m intrigued by both sides.

I methodically study the entire world on google earth.

6 Likes

replying to my own post - bad form sorry.

Just read this from 2 years ago…

Deadline Magazine #1 (October 1988) – First Full Appearance of Tank Girl

Reading the adventures of Tank Girl is easy enough, since her comics can be found in reprinted anthology editions. If you’re a fan and want to collect her original appearances however, things can start to get expensive. At the time the Tank Girl comics were first produced in the UK, Deadline Magazine , published by Cardrest Limited, was a counter-culture voice and so it seemed the perfect venue for the first appearance of Tank Girl . Three copies of this magazine can be found on the CGC census and of those an 8.5 sold for $900.00 in March of 2018. 8.5 is also the highest recorded grade of this book. If you like Tank Girl , this British magazine is definitely worth looking out for.

May have a deeper look into this - my copies are all originals and in excellent condition and I think I might have them all.

A #1 has gone for more more recently

https://comics.gocollect.com/guide/view/587159

Back to the store room …

2 Likes

oh man, I’d have to do some searching. However, if you don’t mind generalizations, I can say this:

The MCU fandom produces some of the absolute worst shit. Also, 50 Shades of Grey was a fanfic for Twilight, originally, that she tweaked for publication for the general audience. And it is shit.

The Sherlock (BBC) fandom produces some of the best.

I’m talking the entire range of critique, from grammar/spelling all the way to plotting and characters and style.

The trouble with recommending fanfic is that in order to appreciate it, you kind of have to know at least the overall plot and history of the show/game/movie/universe, as well as the characters. There’s not a lot of exposition going on in the fan works themselves. So if you aren’t above checking it out, I recommend choosing a fandom you know something about or really like then visiting Archive of Our Own and giving a few things a glance over.

Also, if you think there couldn’t possibly be fanfiction for the fandom you choose…you’re wrong. :joy:

be warned. Fandom and fanfiction have their own lingo that can be confusing. I don’t even know a lot of it. Also, not all of it is stereotypical slash. You can find a bunch with no shipping (romantic relationships) at all, if you want.

as a side note, I find fandoms fascinating from a sociological perspective. Groups form, there’s infighting and wars, it’s all very tribal…and most people don’t even know about it.

Also, be prepared for the scope. there are over 400k works in the Marvel fandom alone.

3 Likes

True. Some of it is very good slash! Why make Bella fight over Edward and Jacob when she can find out the reason they hate each other is because Edward once broke Jacob’s heart?

Does being addicted to zoo shows count? I can’t get enough of them. My favorite is The Zoo - about the Bronx Zoo. I’ve seen every episode at least 3 times.

5 Likes

Yeah, I knew people would make fun of me for this. Also, I have never watched or read Twilight. Not my style.

I tend to avoid shipping in general, and stick with stories that are more plot-driven. I have seen how ship wars have destroyed fandoms, and even in some cases, destroyed the medium they were fighting over. There will be no series 5 of Sherlock, and crazy “fans” are a big part of why. Tends to make me hate that shit.

Incidentally, every version of Sherlock Holmes that isn’t Arthur Conan-Doyle is essentially fanfic :grin:

1 Like

Posting on Unstuck.

How many do we have on here? Maybe a couple hundred?

3 Likes

I’m not making fun of you. Are you making fun of me for liking the story I described?

nope. Sorry, thought you were being facetious!

wait…are you? Am I being leveled? sigh