What Happens in Vegas, Stays in Vegas. Except Threesomes.

The only way this assertion makes sense is if you assume that everyone is risk neutral (or has exactly the same risk aversion, I guess) and gets no actual utility from playing poker. I mean, consider the following:

You have AdKd
The board is Td Jd 2c 4s
There is $100 in the pot as the turn is dealt. Your opponent bets his last $41 as he flips over Ts Tc. You’ve got 10/44 outs, so you’re offered just slightly better than 0 EV for the call.

Is it really crazy to think that all of these are true?:

• A risk-neutral gambler would call the bet because it has a slightly positive EV
  • A risk-averse gambler would fold because the EV is trivial relative to the variance of calling vs. folding.
  • A risk-seeking player who enjoys playing would call not because of the EV, but because of the 23% of winning a large pot

Imagine rock paper scissors for money. GTO play is throwing randomly every time, but I know my friend loves throwing rock so I deviate from GTO play to throw paper far more often than I “should”. I’m not playing GTO but I am more profitable.

4 Likes

You really do not want to play GTO against the vast majority of lol live poker opponents!

5 Likes

Some of NBZ strategy explanations are of the Gavin Smith’s nature

1 Like

I’m sure me folding QQ to a 3 bet is exploitable, which I’ll think about as soon as I find a live table where more than 1% of hands are 3 bet pre.

The GTO conversation is silly. It’s low-limit plo/nlh (I don’t pretend to have a clue about the 8/16 mixed game stuff). They are almost identical world wide. We all played billion of hours of it. If I had the manual to the GTO solution to a 9 handed live game, there is exactly 0% I’ll use it in a 1-3 game. It will cost me tons of money.

You can definitely win money playing any strategy that involves never tilting and not pay off nits. Period. The issue is NBZ keeps mentioning how the games have changed and he adapted this strategy and like no. They haven’t. Certainly not to a place where adopting a loose-passive approach is somehow the preferred strategy.

3 Likes

Dammit I’m watching every single one of these videos now.

The GTO solution to rock paper scissors is well-known – randomize evenly. Still, there are RPS tournaments, and gambling, and skill. Since the EV of the GTO solution is 0, any skill necessarily involves not playing GTO.

The profit-maximizing strategy in real poker games is rarely going to be the GTO strategy. You would tell a person making maximum profits that they are wrong and there is a single correct answer.

2 Likes

The 1/2 PLO zoom pool died yesterday so I played some. 5/1NL and got to cold 5b shove QQ pf and get folds.

That’s not my strategy. My strategy is tight-passive preflop, not so passive postflop.

Ok you are for sure levelling. There is literally no such thing as a winning tight passive strategy.

On another note, we learned today I don’t know much about GTO. Anyone know a good book or source?

Sure there is. Might not be as profitable as other strategies.

You can got Pios and play around with it, but I’m not sure what you want to learn and why.

If you just want to know enough definitions to not sound silly at a conversation you can figure it out pretty quickly.

Read The Mathematics of Poker by Chen and Ankenman. That’s more a textbook that uses toy games as examples and almost no examples from hold em. Play Optimal Poker and Play Optimal Poker 2 by Andrew Brooks for GTO applied to specifically NLHE.

I feel like you really don’t understand the strategy I’m describing.

1 Like

You aren’t familiar with rocks who hang around forever? That’s what winning tight-passive play looks like.

If one can’t understand why exploitable play can be profitable, remember that most people don’t change their own style to suit their opponent.

1 Like

This was especially true in the boom days. You could nut peddle all day and win money.

You describe your post flop as “making better decisions on 8 handed flops” which isn’t really a strategy, but sure. I honestly believe you that it works to a certain degree, because the average player as really bad.
You just give out so many meta explanations that are fairly meaningless. The EV change caused by your “talking” or your “friendliness” is closer to 0 than you think.

One think I think I do better at than my opponents is picking spots to check raise bluff. In general, I check raise more.

Do you need to build a reputation as being tight and only showing the nuts or very strong hands before you check raise bluff in spots? It seems like you would need to. I mean, you don’t have to but it seems like that’s what you are describing.

Just describing a low stakes PLO strategy that is more weighted towards bluffing than value betting is wild. I’ve seen people get all in pf with trips in their hand (not kings or aces)!

1 Like