What Happens in Vegas, Stays in Vegas. Except Threesomes.

I like mixed games a lot and consider myself good at a wide variety of them - but what you just described sounds absolutely ridiculous.

2 Likes

Throw 200 on a low limit table and try it.

Consider it an entertainment expense.

Dramaha 49 and Dramaha 2-7 are pretty stupid games.

Playing bad makes me physically ill. I started out playing live low limit games and built up a bankroll to play bigger games. Completely against my instincts.

You are a bit of an enigma to me… not meant to be an insult. Your poker style isn’t what I figured. Obviously it’s working though.

1 Like

Really? Knowing nothing else about him besides his posting, I’d have snapped guessed nitty TAG.

2 Likes

Doing the armchair psychologist thing, but NBZ strikes me as someone who has a particular way of making order from the chaos of the world. The way he makes this order is probably not common in some circumstances, but that’s what makes his posts interesting - different perspectives.

So it’s not really surprising to me that in poker his play style is more focussed on structure and consistency than lagging it up and “playing the player”.

4 Likes

I try to be controlled and disciplined. I don’t really do emotional shitposting to vent. I tend to be passive unless I have reasons to act. Anything I do aggressively, poker or otherwise, usually has a thought-out purpose behind it.

1 Like

Not everything has to be awesome food. Sometimes, you just want to go down for a quick meal, then go back to your room and chill. Sometimes, I get a hankering for traditional American food.

Country fried steak and eggs with hash browns and a cup of coffee is never going to be a revelatory meal, so I’m fine with going down to lol TGI Friday’s for that instead of going out. The difference in quality isn’t worth the extra time and it was actually cheaper than the good pancake houses I could drive to. Plus, I won more than the price of my meal at slots while waiting.

I totally had you as a super nit, but you playing slots is the thing that surprises me.

3 Likes

It’s weird equating LAG with bad play. If you were characterizing the best players more would be LAGs than TAGs.

This is definitely true in NL/PLO, but it very well might not be in fixed limit games.

I’m trying to build up tier points so I get better room offers. I’ve always gotten decent offers from Boyd properties.

1 Like

I’m not sure. As a general rule, the best players are willing to make more decisions as their ev comes from making better decisions than their opponents. LAGs make more decisions than TAGs in any game.

Of course, we are making broad characterizations here and masking obviously important subtleties. Not all games are equally suited for the same level of LAGness, of course.

I’m very disciplined preflop. I also don’t do much iso-raising. This gives me a certain table image that I can exploit.

I’m not an elite player and never will be. I know there are ways to make more money. I don’t have that instinct to relentlessly attack weakness. I never learned to take that bet-bet-bet line. Aggression doesn’t come naturally to me. I’m only aggressive after thought consideration leads me to believe that is the correct course. My game involves being friendly to bad regs and shearing them on repeated visits instead of pwning them and making them disappear for a while. I don’t stroke my ego with leveling wars against other regs.

My edge is that I don’t tilt, don’t spew, am never reckless. I know what I am and stay in my lane instead of trying to be something I’m not. I embrace a tight image. I don’t think I’m better than I actually am. I know a few tricks that keep other good players from trying to run me over. I do okay making hero calls against players who peg me as weak-tight and try to exploitatively overbluff against me.

I know my skills don’t translate well to higher stakes. There’s a cap on how high I can go.

I started out playing 3/6 LHE for fun. Built a bankroll from that to play no limit. Moved over to PLO. All live. My trajectory has made me most comfortable in games with a lot of multiway pots where I can manipulate the betting. I’m less comfortable in games where most flops are heads up. I’m good at annoying players who would prefer to iso in position and forcing them to play more multiway if I recognize that they hate it and make mistakes in those pots.

7 Likes

I’m like you when I’m travelling alone, in that I usually want food without a lot of fuss or expense.

Have you checked out the indoor mall attached to PH? I had a number of good, reasonably priced meals among the restaurants in there during my last visit in 2019.

1 Like

I hope you don’t think I was saying your were not good. That was certainly not my intention. I was just pushing back against the idea LAG is bad play. I noted there are good TAG players as well, and given you play for a living (I think) you are obviously among them.

1 Like

I was gonna say that the lunch fixed menu at Milos (Aria) is the best deal @ ~25 bucks but it’s up to 38 now :(

I’d totally sit down in Vegas for blitz, pass the trash, guts, in-between, beat the bitch, and any of other stupid pseudo poker games me and my friends used to play.

I was just suggesting living on the wild side, not any permanent change in what works for you.

As long as it’s not a table full of you.

I prefer to be in the tighter third but if that is ridiculously tight then I’ll go over to the dark side for a few orbits.

Mind you I play limit games mostly.