What do you disagree on with your preferred candidate?

Since when do we ever ask the locals how they feel about joining USA#1

The largest nuclear power plant in the US is 50 miles west of Phoenix.

300 days of sunshine per year. Just sayin’.

Well they can give it a shot

And that’s just stupid ldo.

It was built in 1975 when a solar panel cost more than 100 times as much per watt as is does now.

I wouldn’t want to force statehood on anyone but I say do it now if that’s what it takes to get them a real seat at the table. Give them a chance to decide for themselves. If they say no, be like Paulie Cicero at the stove cooking sausages and give them the $3200 and “Now I gotta turn my back on you.”

I think a large carbon tax is fine and if you combine that with requiring actually building the sites and infrastructure for waste when you build a nuclear power plant, no one world build a nuclear power plant in the US again.

https://www.reddit.com/r/unpopularopinion/comments/f278uo/nuclear_energy_is_in_fact_better_than_renewables/

Pretty decent post on nuclear energy

Wonkish question: Do Trinidad and Tobago get one senator each?

1 Like

Pete is also “no new nuclear” which I disagree with…well, I’d at least like more R&D into newer nuclear tech. He doesn’t want to phase it out immediately though.

I think the income limits on his free/subsidized college are slightly too low, or if they are kept, more indication in his policy about exceptions (emancipated kids, multiple kids, etc) should be added.

I am disappointed that he has 3 policies where it could be addressed, and yet nowhere has he talked about water rights/agreements in the western US (CO river, Rio Grande, etc). It’s something we need to revamp, with federal oversight, imho. Of course, I don’t think any of the candidates have addressed this, but it would have been nice to see it.

Most of my disagreements beyond that are about campaign strategy, but that’s pretty esoteric.

(someone up thread complained that no one was talking about SCOTUS or DC/PR statehood…um…Pete’s been saying that stuff since the start)

Some small lols already before getting to this:

They also have a very short life

The author has no idea what they are talking about.

Pete is a smart kid and probably looked at the math and where free market investments are going. He certainly doesn’t need to pander to anyone in this.

He’s probably just taking fossil fuel money.

I see this thread has already gone nuclear.

As to disagreeing with Bernie: I wish he would give more examples of how he plans to use the bully pulpit and/or other means to generate enough Congressional support for his major policy initiatives. I would like him to clarify what parts of his policy agenda he can do without Congressional approval (DACA, I know; but what else). He gives the example of going to Kentucky and advocating for M4A (which a large majority supports), and forcing McConnell’s hand on that. Other than that, it’s been nebulous talk of “building a movement” which, fine, but people are dying now

My primary concern with Bernie is that he has miscalculated how much he can do.

He probably just focus-grouped his answer, deploying Frank Luntz at a diner in Nashua.

a 5-second google search

http://nofossilfuelmoney.org/presidential-signers/

We need to do it.

Not me, us.

That doesn’t mean anything though. Pete is also very pro African-American according to Pete. The fact that his campaign isn’t literally taking direct deposits from ExxonMobil isn’t too exciting since he’s aligned with people like David Victor, a Pete climate advisor and author of this piece:

Or if that’s not bold enough, he co-authored another in favor of clean coal:

There’s also this article from The Intercept:

In his bid for president, Buttigieg has gone further in some respects, swearing off all corporate PAC money and pledging to refuse money from executives at fossil fuel companies. But a review of his campaign disclosure records finds that Buttigieg’s presidential campaign is awash in cash from bank executives — many of them heavily involved in financing the fossil fuel industry.

But Buttigieg’s receipt of tens of thousands of dollars from the oil and gas industries via financiers and industry executives skirts the No Fossil Fuel Money pledge, while also running up against Buttigieg’s own campaign pledge from 2010.

The 2019 contributions, many of which were first reported by Eyes on the Ties and republished by Sludge in September, don’t technically violate the no-fossil-fuel-money pledge. Still, the South Bend mayor continues to take in campaign cash from the CEOs and top executives of the same private equity firms and hedge funds financing the oil and gas boom fueling the climate crisis.

There are enough precincts reporting to call the race for Mayor Pete is a Corporate-Controlled Puppet at this point. I’m gonna use that as my heuristic for him going forward unless some wild new evidence to the contrary emerges.

2 Likes

If you can’t tell me off the top of your head the value of the Nikkei index it’s absurd that you would have any confidence in your opinion on investing.

If you can’t tell me off the top of your head the half-life of xenon-135 it’s absurd that you would have any confidence in your opinion on nuclear power.

3 Likes

Well that’s timely. Today’s episode.