What do you disagree on with your preferred candidate?

Nuclear power plants should not all be decommissioned, and there are some places where nuclear power makes sense. But it will never cost less and be better than Renewables in the United States. Never. That’s not the real world. it’s not the present, and it’s certainly not the future.

https://images.app.goo.gl/6YFXbNk3AECBL6zw7

I disagree with my preferred candidate’s impact angle

2 Likes

At extremely limited scale sure. If I told you I needed to buy enough storage to power 5% of global energy demand next year you absolutely couldn’t find the batteries and prices would explode.

We should be building batteries as fast as we physically can. Nobody is disputing that. What I’m disputing is that even after we’ve done that we won’t be close to providing for global baseload power generation demand and the balance will be generated using a combination of coal and gas, which I think is unacceptable.

You’re talking about the globe. I thought we were talking about the United States.

But anyway, none of this really matters much as policy. Nuclear power plants will stop being built in the United States because no one wants to invest in them. That may have already happened, but if it hasn’t it will be very clear soon.

I came here to say that I have no idea really, because my single issue is electability and I am backing Bernie because it looks now as if he has the best chance to beat Trump and that’s pretty much all I care about.

But this is a very good issue that deserves way more coverage but won’t get it because it doesn’t drive people to the polls. It is absolutely shameful that people both in DC and in the territories have ZERO NADA ZILCH NO Congressional representation while places like Wyoming get two senators and a rep. It should disgust way more people than it does currently.

2 Likes

Batteries and solar panels are cheap to ship. Their price per pound is high enough that I can ship them anywhere for a negligible % of cost. As a result they exist in a global market. Since carbon emissions are also global I think the batteries should go where they can have maximum impact, which generally is going to be places with less dense energy demand (like rural Australia) and places like northern California where power lines are causing massive fires.

If you start charging 200 dollars a ton for carbon like you should they’ll be a LOT more appealing. Coal is REALLY expensive with 200/t carbon.

Wasn’t there a poll a while ago that showed Republican support for PR statehood? That should be a clear priority for Dems, idk why no one talks about it.

Bernie strongly supports statehood for DC.

DC should 100% be a state. PR is a bit more complicated, as I think internal polls are split (but only because a significant percentage of the population favors outright independence iirc). [Citation needed]

PR should have the option, but it is not totally clear that they want to be a state. The last real vote was very split. The most recent vote was widely boycotted.

Statehood should be immaterial afaic. They live under our laws, they pay our taxes, they should by god have a say in Congress.

We fought a fucking revolution over it ffs

1 Like

Can’t imagine Republicans ever letting DC be a state. It’s wild they would be okay with PR being a state.

And let’s not stop with DC and Puerto Rico. There are four other populated territories: American Samoa, Guam, the Northern Mariana Islands, and the US Virgin Islands. Statehood or independence for all of them.

2 Likes
1 Like

Heads exploding

1 Like

Fuck it, let’s annex the whole Caribbean. We’ll have scores of new senators.

2 Likes

Haha, maybe we need an open offer to the world, something like “any country that votes with 75% or greater majority is welcome to join the United States with full statehood.”