What are you listening to

feel like I posted this guy before but either it’s deja vu or this search sucks. I feel like I’ve posted it several times but Trollly just got the verse from a song I thought I posted before. Appearances by Cuba Gooding Jr. and others.

1 Like
1 Like

That guitar player later in the song is awesome, but a sample:

1 Like
1 Like

@Trolly Jay Z sampled the song you played that I posted fyi. It wasn’t just a random Jay Z song.

The Alkaholiks first song right before 21 and Over came out. They were involved in this gangsta rappish album and than went Alkaholik style breaking away from the West Coast gangsta stuff.

Let me let you all in a little secret: in the 1970’s there was an incredible afrofunk movement in Africa with some of the nastiest grooves ever. If you go on a deep Youtube dive, you can find some amazing treasures. It’s like an entirely undiscovered country of excellent music.

1 Like

I’d swing both songs a bit imo. Good shit and probably not what their musical roots are. I hear some straight claves in there. I’m just high and they are recorded musicians.

1 Like

I think this is maybe my favorite West African Afrofunk jam to groove out to, so nasty:

3 Likes

clave polyrhythms. Psychedelic tho too! haha

1 Like

That’s great. Clave based tho!

1970’s afrofunk was an absolutley incredible genre with amazing craftsmanship that has been sadly almost completely lost to history. You can go on a deep youtube dive and find so much crazy shit with claves and polyrhythms and shit.

1 Like

that shaker

1 Like

I may have played these guys before but I found them randomly by watching marching drum band videos and they are good af. KidSyc is an art teacher and Knife, I dunno what he does. The Oakley Razor guy is kind of a douche but this song is good and KidSyc and Knife are great after. Ban me if I’m multiposting spam.

So random how I found this though:

1 Like

You can basically break down modern music to 4 claves and a pardito alto at their basest forms. Somewhere in the mix one of those always exist pretty much.

2:3 rumba clave in chorus

1 Like