What are you listening to

One of the few great things about living in Ohio are these small-town music festivals. $10 for an entire evening of thoroughly enjoyable bands out in some park somewhere with an excellent craft beer trailer. What more do you want?

Ted Milton from the band Blurt:

Some hip hop fans in here, so here are a bunch that might be enjoyable in chronological order ranging from 1992 to 2008 (obviously NSFW lyrics):

1 Like

Breaker breaker
Here comes the caper
Straight grip the taper
The lyric Skyscraper

Hit ya like the lyrical murderer.
I know you think I have, but yo I never heard of ya!

I’m just gonna go ahead and say it: the new Tool album sucks.

1 Like

Really can’t go wrong with anything from this guy if you like this kind of stuff, my summer’s camping music

1 Like

sirosis… I dunno how it happened, but i happened upon the coolest sort of genre of utube video.

They’re on self-reliance and outdoors type cabin building stuff. They are really peaceful.

there’s tons of them

1 Like

Hip hop just died after 1999. Feel so sad for all the Millenials and the garbage they had to listen to.

2 Likes

I think it reasonably adapted well into the mid to late 2000s, but a lot of stuff got really dance-y more than musical. I do consider 2000 to be the dividing line of the last year of really great hip hop music (a lot came out that year that I didn’t add, and I think the real golden age started in 1992, with a few stragglers in 1991). A few things like Tainted straggled into like 2002, but it was largely over and different types of hip hop were taking over kind of like what happened in 1992 where everything stopped sounding like a Casio.

Today, people like Kendrick Lamar and J Cole are trying to do more musical sounding stuff, but it just doesn’t sound right against a lot of stuff being played on the radio. It’s a dam shame The Roots are a house band, they were like literally the best hip hop group of all time for nearly 4 years, 3 perfect but totally different albums. We saw them this year, and it just wasn’t the same from when I missed out in 1996. Black Thought has an amazing voice, but I wanted to see that band with the original members playing their old songs. Average age in the audience was like 50 lol.

I’m a huge fan of good trap music too, so there is still good stuff out there, but you have to really search to find stuff. I just really don’t have time for that, and I don’t drive much to listen to the radio.

Here’s an example of something I liked from a few years ago. I’m not lyrically driven as a listener and it’s all about the track behind it for me. I heard this song live on some talk show, and immediately sought it out, obviously disappointed at the YouTube quality.

Well produced trap music (this isn’t that well produced) is fun to listen to for me, but a lot of stuff is produced and mixed poorly. You just have to find the song in there to enjoy it.

Like this:

Oh, I was gonna add that M.O.P song, but I couldn’t remember what it was called.

All this noise and nobody mentioned The Pharcyde. You people should be ashamed.

2 Likes

I just listened to them this weekend and do often still.

1 Like

There is going to be a point where I post something twice, if I haven’t already.

1 Like

One of my favorite concerts to date was 311/Cypress Hill/Pharcyde. Our hotel was across the street from the venue and they all came and partied in the hotel. The hallways on every floor were party scenes.

1 Like

“only when I’m drunk.”

1 Like
1 Like

I really like the whole triflin’ album also.