What are you listening to

Since Twitter knows I stalk Dua Lipa they keep recommending articles on the copyright infringement suits against her. I read a few which really annoyed me for reasons I’ll explain below. But first, probably watch this:

His take is pretty close to what I’d expect to hear from a forensic musicologist that works these cases. But that is a musical argument. What annoys me a lot about this is that you absolutely cannot find a version of this “2017 song” that wasn’t either uploaded (1) six days ago or (2) to SoundCloud. Why does that matter? Because you can swap out the old audio files on SoundCloud with new ones without it affecting the views, comments, and metadata.

All of the other versions (Spotify, Apple Music, CD Baby (the label / distributor), etc.) were pulled. The SoundCloud version apparently had ~200 total listens and 0 comments before the lawsuit story dropped on March 1, which is coincidentally the same day Artikal Sound System aka A.S.S. released a new album. So either this is a publicity stunt switch-a-roo or a song that nobody has heard before. Those reporting on this story / doing drive-by analysis have not even inquired about whether the song actually exists or why we’re talking about infringement of one out of the billion shitty garage band demos that get uploaded daily and that zero people have ever listened to.

I’m not saying the HOAX angle is true or even the most likely scenario, but it’s still plausible at this point. Why did they pull it from every other source except the one that allows you to doctor the original audio file? There are a few places that claim to sell the original CD, but it’s a “special order,” and when I add to cart it says backorder so I’m skeptical whether it’s possible to actually get it.

1 Like

Hungarian gypsy music has this thing where they scat syncopally (syncopically?) in the background in addition to the main vocals. Anyone know what’s that called?

1 Like
1 Like
2 Likes

Youtube popping this up reminding me of Australia 1999

What a CUT. I can’t believe I don’t remember this

1 Like

I looked this guy up and was pleasantly surprised to see that his live show involves him shredding a Prophet-6 with a live drummer, not just phoning it in with some knob twisting bullshit.

Imagine how great this film could have been as a mid 90s Batman movie with Method Man as a Riddler that raps the riddles. Throw in some solid character development with Method Man’s Riddler being motivated by understandable outrage at the plight of black Americans and you are talking Oscar material.

1 Like
2 Likes

but you and I, we’ve been through that
And this is not our fate
So let us stop talkin’ falsely now
The hour’s getting late

A good rule of thumb is that whatever amount of time you are spending listening to Charles Bradley, you should be listening to more.

1 Like

The Dusty Fingers series is one of the best collections of songs containing samples and noteworthy breaks ever put together.

Unlike series that are heavily focused on the original styles of early hip hop ie dancefloor fodder for bboys, this series is more focused on sample sources for beats and soul/rare groove.

It’s not all jazz and soul either. You’ll find plenty of prog rock and all kinds of hard to classify ethereal tastiness.

1 Like