What are you listening to

I can’t decide if Doom is a genius or if he’s just dropping a bunch of nonsense rhymes.

1 Like

Forgive the bogarting but somebody has to sterilize the board after that P-Grifty track.

Yeah, I understand what you’re saying. He’s somewhere between Slick Rick, Rakim, and Kool Keith. His rhyme schemes are absolutely next level (most of these tracks are from 12+ years ago). Nobody was shifting their words around the counts like he was in the early milennium. Oddly sycopated delivery but always on time and with panache. It’s why he meshed so well with Madlib on Madvillainy with Mad being so jazz minded.

ETA: Fixed that analogy. Upgraded.

2 Likes
1 Like

I think my favorite part of this song is Bobbito getting on a mic and killing it.

1 Like

Man, this album is so underrated. I bring it up to so many rap heads who have never heard of it.

1 Like

Im currently cataloging my vinyl collection on discogs. It’s really interesting which 90’s and early 2000’s records have held their value. It’s an interesting mix between unique productions and rhymes and down to earth, anti-ephemeral messages.

I’m truly grateful I lived my halcyon days of music discovery in the late 90’s and early 2000’s

Do you have a favorite beat you didn’t know for years and discovered? Here’s mine. Paid a coworker $20 for helping me sniff this out. Beat was stuck in my head for 14 years; even heard it on an NBA pre game show with Simmons and almost wrote them a letter.

If any of you ever find a dirt cheap vibraphone and are willing to ship it to me let me know.
The midwest is not a jazz area and I’ve been looking for one for like 5 years.
I don’t want to buy a new one just to play in my place. I’ve been holding on to all my college mallets in hope.

You mean if I find 2 cheap vibraphones? :grin:

I’m in the midwest also so prolly couldn’t help. I am obsessed with using analog sound sources amap and that would be great for trap percussion.

Also what’s “cheap”?

One of my hs friends and og skateboarder in our town is a Nashville musician and he’s supposedly been checking pawn shops there for me too with no luck.

Cheap is like $1000-1200. Fucking vibes and marimbas aren’t cheap. I see some on some percussion sale groups on FB once in awhile but they are almost always local pickup only or they sell instantly.

Youre in Tenner?

I don’t know what that is so I doubt it?

lol Tennessee