Walrus 13: Reveal!!

Story time!

1 Like

I could maybe do one sometime. Thinking about what the categories would be.

4 Likes

Ok, so, the song I submitted is a favorite of mine; it’s so well-written that Whitney’s talent performing it is just a bonus.

The funny part is that it’s literally been stuck in my head off-and-on for two decades; when I’m playing poker, mainly omaha, and get to the river with a bricked draw there’s a very good chance “I have nothing, NOTHING, NOTHIIIINNNG” will go through my head and a reasonable chance I’ll sing it out loud.

4 Likes

Might do a 60s / 70s / 80s / 90s / 00s / 10s one, although it would be hard to surprise me with anything if I did that. So maybe I need different categories. I barely know anything from the last decade so I definitely want that to be one.

2 Likes

Ouch.

1 Like

The other Whitney-related story:

I like to think I’d be a good LGBTQ+ ally regardless, even while growing up being a kinda sorta jock and thug, but the following experience, which might’ve been universal to every big city, definitely cemented it. If you were underage, hell even 14-15 as long as you didn’t look downright cherubic, and wanted to party and experience some nightlife whilst avoiding getting carded then the best bet would be to hit up the gay clubs/bars, in the thriving gay neighborhoods. Chicago was perfect for this but like I said it might’ve been universal. I don’t rightly know the explanation but the powers tha be lagged way behind in enforcing the rules at the LGBTQ+ spots.

It wasn’t until later that I fully realized the impact, when everything LGBTQ+ was getting more normalized and even kind and decent people were still nonetheless weirded out. I’d be like, “So, you didn’t go to drag queen fashion show contests at gay-owned coffee shops that turned into gay afterhours nightclubs on the weekends? Ok that’s a little weird…”

Point is, lol, this track below was the Gay Boy Anthem for years and is forever positively imprinted on my brain:

2 Likes

It would be hard to surprise you with any music from 1960 through 2010?

2 Likes

I mostly forgot about Fiona Apple until @smrk4 submitted her to my Walrus. Been doing a bit of a deep dive ever since and really enjoying it.

2 Likes

This was the same where I came of age in Minneapolis. My first bar/club-type experiences were at The Gay 90’s on Hennepin Ave. My favorite dance remix of Whitney’s My Love is Your Love(that I mentioned upthread) was a staple along with It’s Not Right But It’s Okay. I bought the damn CD. I loved it there.

1 Like

Probably, not impossible; there’s worlds of music out there, but a lot of reasonably known things I’ll recognize.

Final standings, well done all involved (I guess.)

(Was nice to be lectured about submitting an ‘old’ song, to then see songs released 28 and 29 years ago winning the category!!! Not bothered, though.)

6 Likes

1 Like

Yeah, like I said I’d bet it was universal to all major cities though you’re now part of a very small sample size.

Lol, I actually just started researching why this phenomenon existed; I’ve had my theories but there has to be an explanation for why the LGBTQ+ clubs were so lax long after other places started getting strict. It wasn’t like these were remote out-of-the-way places, it’s an entire neighborhood all up and down North Halsted street just jumping.

There was even a scandal in Chicago when the MTV Real World show went to some spots and took an underage cast member, obviously getting it all on film.

1 Like

Runaways?

1 Like

Song was good enough to inspire me to make a new Walrus-exclusive playlist on Youtube (probably should’ve done this a while ago tbh)

2 Likes

Guess meb forgot to factor in the infinite bonus points for this video starting with her popping out of the can lol. Pretty catchy tune too

Yeah I probably would’ve submitted this or another Mariah song…my wife loves Mariah