Walrus - Quarantine Edition

Everyone’s stuck inside and no one’s hosting a Walrus? Well it’s about time that changed: welcome to the Jiggy Walrus.

The theme of this walrus comes from this Jeff Bebe quote in a deleted scene in the movie Almost Famous: “Usually I’m brain and Russell is instincts. But on the day that we are both instinct that’s when we’ve made the music people know the best, because it’s the best. - Show me any guy who ever said he didn’t wanna be popular and I’ll show you a scared guy. I’ve studied the entire history of music. Most of the time, the best stuff is the popular stuff. It’s much safer to say popularity sucks because that allows you to forgive yourself if you suck. And I don’t forgive myself. Do you?”

So ya’ll dragged me for posting “popular” stuff in other walruses and now guess what? You’re ALL going to submit and listen to it…ok maybe that’s not what happened, and it’s not entirely what we’re going to do, although there will be some theme of popular music. Mostly I liked that quote and wanted an excuse to post it.

Here are your Jiggy quarantine walrus categories:

1. A cover you like more than the original. One thing I have been listening to a lot of lately is covers of modern songs by their contemporaries. Not sure why but I’ve always been a big fan of covers. The catch here is that I don’t want to hear covers that sound exactly like the original; after all if that’s what I wanted to hear I’d just listen to the original. I will only be rating this based on the quality of the song submitted, not how well it stacks up with the original song and there will be no particular deductions based on popularity of either song. Something I haven’t heard will score higher than something I’ve heard if they’re about equal but I don’t really mind if you don’t show me something new.

2. A duet. Eh because why not?

3. A song from 1996-2000. For a lot of people, their musical tastes are formed during high school. That wasn’t really the case with me, and I can hardly remember the music I listened to in high school. I think I may have been into 70’s classic rock but it wasn’t like I was going to see those bands in concert. In college, I got into punk/emo music but a lot of that stuff doesn’t resonate with me so much anymore, so I’m a bit rudderless with nostalgic music. Show me something that I missed during my high school years!

4. A song you don’t love but still listen to because it has a great intro/chorus/solo etc. This sounds like a fun idea that goes with my ‘popular’ theme. How many ‘great’ songs actually kind of suck but have an amazing hook?

5. A top Billboard 10 song from the last 10 years. This might be a little bit of homework, especially for people who don’t listen to new much, but maybe you’ll find something you really like, or already like! It can be off of any chart so doesn’t just have to be the top 40 charts (hint: I’d probably pick something off of the “alternative rock” chart).

Well there you have it! I’d like to have anonymous submissions so I’m not inherently biased against @cassette but would need someone to volunteer for that position. In any case let’s get at least the first couple of categories done by this Sunday April 5th and the rest by Friday the 10th, although there’s no great rush if people dilly dally a bit. Anyway, let’s get walrusing!

5 Likes

i’ll blind the judging. pm your submissions to me

9 Likes

Awesome. Max participants?

3 Likes

10 is a nice figure but let’s stay flexible

2 Likes

I love covers. Honestly thought about doing an all-covers Walrus.

I haven’t played a Walrus after the first few and the timing was never right for me to participate in another. I’m in.

3 Likes

In. I was just thinking about running one today so this is perfect

3 Likes

IN

3 Likes

I’m in, I have objectively shit taste in music and love a good roasting.

5 Likes

3 Likes

When I first saw this blessed post I was going to try and be noble and enlist as a sub if needed so other people could play. But then I saw the categories.

Nobility be damned. This is the Walrus where I beat cassette.

I’m in.

3 Likes

Oh and thanks to Sir Beetlegoat for helping out.

3 Likes

Inner than an in-thing

2 Likes

I’d hate to deny you the chance. I’ll take a wait list spot for now.

2 Likes

entered my first ever walrus…

2 Likes

In if there’s still room.

2 Likes

Was going to ask if there’s room at the inn, but like all batters didn’t want to ruin my lifetime average by not being pop enough.

Yeah, this isn’t my wheelhouse but I fully support the return. Enjoy.

Everyone who has posted so far can be in. Cassette would be a shame if you didn’t enter given all the crap I give you. @Jalfrezi not sure what your intentions are. It would be 12 with the two of you, let’s max it at that but if someone else wants to join one or both of you can be bumped.

1 Like

I’ll enter if there’s a spot. Would have the songs to you by the end of the day.

1 Like

Ok, you’re right. I’m def in, especially with beatle giving me some cover. :relaxed:

1 Like