Walrus grab bag - signup thread

Jesus. I don’t usually listen to people’s youtubes here lol.

It’s a little more uptempo and the rhythm section clunks but stylistically that would fit seamlessly onto an old Bad Company album I had from the mid 70s. It’s shocking to me how some modern music has remained unchanged for almost half a century.

Bu then I guess rock went through garage, psychedlia, hard rock, prog, punk, new wave and indie in about 20 years and that rate had to slow down at some point.

That song is from 1982, though. I guess that’s when the mid to late 70s arrived in Australia.

2 Likes

It’s weird to think that song is from after I was born, just because I think of that era as being incredibly distant from me.

That means anywhere in the lyrics, right?

Yup anywhere in the lyrics is fine!

My submissions are in. Some are a bit of a reach. Really struggled with several of the categories.

1 Like

Hell yeah. Let the wild rumpus begin

2 Likes

So with just one person left to submit I’ll now make what I hope is the last organizational-type post before we head into reveals.

What happens next?

1. As soon as I have all submissions I am going to start hammering your inboxes with the entries for your category. They are probably going to come in one at a time because that will be a lot more time effective for me.

2. I will create a reveal thread, which for most of us will be where our dreams of being competitive in this Walrus go to die.

3. I have seen some suggestions that we could schedule reveals ahead of time. Based on past Walruses peoples schedules always change, so if that involves reorganizing a schedule constantly I don’t think it is the best way forward unless you all really enjoy seeing my walls of text and badgering. So what I suggest is this:

• Do your listening and prep your reveals as much as possible ahead of time. This will make much of the reveal a copy/paste affair and you can add a little colour during the reveal if you like, particularly to respond to the peanut gallery telling you your subjective appreciation of art is incorrect (looking at you Jalfrezi).

• Once you know your reveal is mostly prepped and ready to go, call your day to do the reveal. This way people can roughly try to self-organize. We don’t want to have two people revealing at the same time, so if we consider every day it’s own slot that people call in advance it should work out. I figure one reveal a day is already a fast pace so we probably don’t need to schedule more than one in a day, but I don’t really consider it a “rule”. Ideally once we start rolling I think a reveal every 1-3 days is a good constant pace but I am open to feedback about that and we can figure out along the way if the pacing needs to change. If someone can’t do their reveal on their planned day we can just sort that out organically along the way by someone else jumping in or leaving that day empty.

• Feel free to use this as an optional template:
    In X place with Y points
    Title - Artist
    (Link to track)
    (your reveal commentary)

On reveals

I think we’ve all either participated in or run a Walrus at some point, so we get the general idea. For those who haven’t done one before I would just add try not to get too bogged down in the rankings. For me, if I was to go through and rank all the songs from my reveals again now I would probably have a completely different order for everything. Pyatnitski won my Walrus so clearly I was doing something very wrong with my rankings.

You’ll almost certainly have clusters of songs that you have to come up with some arbitrary way of splitting rankings between and that’s normal. This is all a game. As long as you meet the minimum of listening to each song at least twice, put them in a ranking order, and reveal that order in the reveal thread, then you’ve fulfilled your obligation. Anything beyond that in terms of colour commentary is a bonus.

Feel free to offer any feedback on the above and sorry about the wall of text. I’m just trying to account for having 14 different people in this Walrus having to play the role of participant and host, and we’ve never done a Walrus this way before.

I’ll page everyone in the reveal thread once it is up and running.

2 Likes

Just one person must mean me; I’ll get it in mine in tonight

1 Like

Submitted

1 Like

Zomg

1 Like

3 Likes

Going to start sending entries out piecemeal through the day!

3 Likes

I will send yours tomorrow if that’s ok

1 Like

Works for me!

Dumb question I could probably look up: what’s the scoring?

It’s a good question! I should have specified.

Starts at 1 point for last place, 2 points for second last, etc.

1 Like

Riggage through stratifying results a-la-jiggy outlawed!!! :joy:

3 Likes

Ok! Everyone should now have 13 entries in their inbox. Please count them and let me know if you are missing anything.

I’ll make the reveal thread in the next day or two since I know its going to take some time before anyone is ready anyway. Hopefully there are some gems waiting for you all.

1 Like

One of them is a song I was already submitted for the walrus I ran here, so that makes things quicker :)