Walrus Grab Bag 6 - Reveal Thread!

Bump you lazy bastards

Just saw the first song was submitted twice. Terrible. Off to a great start!

1 Like

Some people, say @Pauwl, @seities, @anon29622970, @tilted and myself are inherently better human beings than the likes of say @suzzer99, @superuberbob, @CanadaMatt3004 and @skydiver8.

It’s not their fault. Some people were just born bad.

4 Likes

I’ll do it tomorrow during the Chiefs game - 1:30 PST.

2 Likes

Still planning on tomorrow. Will probably be on the early side for West Coast people.

1 Like

Those people don’t count.

1 Like

Going start this before the top of the hour.

@anon29622970
@Pauwl
@Yuv
@skydiver8
@tilted
@seities
@CanadaMatt3004
@suzzer99
@superuberbob

4 Likes

Coffee made. In for this.

1 Like

I remember having trouble with this one.

In 9th place (1 point):

Ryeowook & Bada - Cosmic

Probably did about as well with me as it would have for Meb. Singers are technically good, but slow ballads like this are rarely my thing. I like East Asian pop, but it’s really gotta be substantially catchier to grab me. This just mostly bored me.

1 Like

At least I didn’t finish in last!

In 8th place (2 points):

Cherub - Doses & Mimosas

Person submitted a seities alternative, which was a risk. Beat is good, chorus is great, first singer is awful. That high pitched whiny singing goes on way too long. Without that, this could be podium-worthy. But I can’t not nodium something that sucked for well over a minute.

2 Likes

In 7th place (3 points):

Murmur – Me & You

This is actually the song that grew on me the most, but not quite enough to put it in the modium. Bored me throughout at first, but appreciated the dreamy-pop style on future listens. Probably deserves better than this, but the competition is pretty strong.

1 Like

Getting strong Wilson Phillips vibes from the Ryeowook and Bada one

1 Like

Had it been more “Hold On” and less “You Won’t See Me Cry”, it would have done better.

In 6th place:

Bad Religion - O Come, O Come Emmanuel

I like Bad Religion a lot, so I’m probably unconsciously dinging this a bit for familiarity. It’s a well done rock cover of a standard Christian hymn, but there’s really not a whole lot else to this. It’s the type of song that I could put on a Christmas playlist and have people think “that was decent”, before forgetting about it 20 minutes later.

2 Likes

Probably the biggest “quality jump” is here.

2 Likes

When you are judging, how much does the difference between:

(how much the other person would have liked it) and (how much I like it)

affect the score? Or is it just how much you like the song, period (with some accounting for familiarity)

In 5th place:

Heart Attack Kids feat. Liam Cormier - Modern Decay

I believe this is the only Canadian band entry on the list. Love the opening guitar. Rest is very good too. Gritty, high energy, garage sound that lasts just the right amount of time. I’m a little sad I can’t put this higher, but the other songs feel more special and unique.

2 Likes

Basically this.

1 Like

Then just put it higher! Always listen to your gut :slight_smile:

3 Likes