Walrus 9 Sign Up

After enduring much unclear thinking, it’s time to get things right in Walrus 9. I, pyatnitski, will be providing virtuous opinion. You, other people, the music.

OYN8aTv85g

What is Walrus?

You pick one song for each of the 5 categories I post and then submit them (see below for how to submit). I will then rank the songs per category and award points, winners and losers are declared at the end. As a demanding sort I’d prefer spotify and youtube links, but at least one source of your song is required. (Spotify means I can listen easily on my lovely stereo and thus appreciate your choice in High Fidelity, youtube means I can be sure to post the correct track in the reveal.)

This will likely get going when Jalfrezi is well into his, possibly even done, so although I’ll privilege those that didn’t do that one you’re welcome to double up. I’ll cap around 12, though we’ll see what happens there as I will not be the fastest in any case. I will try and go as quickly as possible and post at sensible times for the participants, but my listening time will be whilst ‘working’ so always subject to events. I’ll likely write the reveals beforehand piecemeal and then put them up relatively quickly just before bed for me (around 5 - 6PM EST).

I can’t really walrus at weekends, so entries are open till late next Sunday / early next Monday. So until 4am EST on Feb 3rd.

This will be ranked anonymously, I won’t know which of you animals submitted what. Submit your entries by PM-ing them to @King_of_NY.

cropped-inj-walrus1

My musical history is that, mesmerised by The Velvet Underground’s White Light/White Heat at age 13, I quickly disappeared down a noisy/avant-garde rock hole. I then slowly dragged myself out via (largely) jazz, folk and ‘the classics’ in my 20s, but have then listened to all sorts this past decade or so. Perhaps unusually I probably listen to more stuff without singing than with. I will warn that my musical kryptonite is useless indie bands being ‘moody’ or anything that sounds like it should have a tune but doesn’t.

Here are the categories. I won’t be judging by or even really policing category fit very much, if at all—I would like them to just be prompts for stuff you enjoy and / or think that I might.

1 - The best pop song of all time ™
In your opinion. Doesn’t have to have literally been a single, but that’s the sort of thing we’re after, obviously. I won’t mark anyone down for obviousness and will try to approach every track as if I don’t already know what I think about it. Honest.

2 - Dinner party, “hey, what is that?” track
Music you can wack on whilst folk are round, and it’s not obtrusive so you can discuss money, schools for your idiot children, the best local artisanal cabbage bar etc. But, at some point, someone will actually hear it and go, “hey, what is that?” Because they dig it so much. (And then you’ll drone on about it and then they’ll all leave)

3 - Noisy or depressing
One time I was told to put some music on and someone piped up with, “nothing noisy or depressing, though.” I was stumped. So, given I want stuff I like, hit me with either the noisiest noisy noise you think is good, or the bleakest burst of existential horror you can take. Preferably both!

4 - “Yo, imma let you finish, other people, but that reminds me of that time when…” track.
A song that features in an anecdote you sometimes tell. Don’t care what type of anecdote or how tangentially the song is involved. Send the anecdote, obviously, but I won’t judge them. Don’t send anything you don’t want posting, so change whatever you like or even make them up! No one will even know!

5 - Best last-track-on-the-album track
Most albums end, but only some end with something that just feels right as a last track. Feel free to tell me why you think that along with the submission, and I won’t mark people down for not fitting with my own understanding - it’s a lot to do with the album itself anyway. (If you’re under 34 and have never even listened to an album then sorry for discriminating, but what on earth are you doing here?)

(Oh, yeah, @suzzer99 )

7 Likes

I have some time this week finally and only 5 questions. In

1 Like

These seem kinda hard but I’m going to take a stab since I didn’t sign up for jalfrezi’s, which were also hard.

1 Like

I’m happy to do this for you if you haven’t found anyone yet

2 Likes

Nice OP!

2 Likes

I am in for Walrus 9 - Pyatnitskis Revenge

2 Likes

I’m in unless there are new people who need a spot.

1 Like

Same, in unless others want a go

1 Like

Chris Cillizza?

No this joke is not getting old.

johnny, you’re killing it lately. Inspired stuff lmao

1 Like

Feature for whoisyourwalrus.com: get in line and people who don’t make it in are lined up for the next one so we don’t have to keep deferring afeard that we are being walrus hogs.

2 Likes

I’d kinda rather hash that out in thread, but ymmv.

1 Like

I’ll play if it’s allowed.

2 Likes

Wouldn’t every thing be better if everyone just agreed with me about everything at all times?

2 Likes

I like your idea. Like “We Got Next!”

the world needs more efficiency and order. I just hate chaos and confusion in general and especially at work, where you’re supposedly dealing with pros.

1 Like

I’ll shut up about it now, but I like chatting with you buds and I don’t see why an algorithm gets to have all the fun.

1 Like

Perhaps micro could write a chatbot to simulate that part so you don’t miss out!

4 Likes

lol

I’d say I’m enjoying it!

3 Likes

Micro if you’re reading this I’m a big fan of the “heart all posts” setting you applied on Rivaldobot. It does wonders for my self esteem.

9 Likes

I saved that other vid to my faves

1 Like