Walrus 13: UP HATES BANGERS Edition!!!

Don’t give the plebs any more info. Your categories and terms seem pretty fair, even if a bit vague. Seems like the perfect set up.

1 Like

I like the new categories

2 Likes

This category should be interesting. Already contemplating the idea of whether or not actual strings have to be involved to qualify as indie rock. @anon29622970 please don’t comment. I’m leaning yes but there are artists that make their productions tough to recognize if you don’t have the ear.

1 Like

I want to play because you seem like a pretty great host and because I have a penchant for tusked marine mammals. I like the category adjustments.

But I think I could be unreliable due to life circumstances.

All this is to say, feel free to include me if you don’t get the full 12, and once deadlines for submissions are announced I’ll be able to let you know if I will be able to get them in.

But if you get 12 just bump me out, and I’ll rail if/when I can.

5 Likes

I don’t think we have much overlap in tastes but that doesn’t matter. In to get berated.

3 Likes

I’m probably not in as I’ve mostly tapped out my musical knowledge in previous walruses but not a fan of these baseless attacks on OP. Seems to me a banger is whatever you define it as.

Phil Jackson is that you?

If a tree falls in a forest and no one is around to hear it, does it make a sound?

2 Likes

I mean, nobody can make anyone change their own personal lexicon.

I’m honestly surprised that there seem to be almost zero posters here that lived in metro areas during the golden ages of hip hop. DJ Premier tracks were pretty synonymous with the term.

A banger is just a really good, upbeat track in any genre. If you were at metal shows in the 90s you would hear the term there. Or goth or punk clubs, or bluegrass festivals today, or…

I figured that it might have been used in metal just based on “Headbanger’s Ball.” My original post was left open ended in its certainty. Still doesn’t detract from the hip hop metaphor that much as metal and hip hop have an uncanny resemblance to each other in characteristics and evolution of sub genres.

Giving the same credence to the coinage of a sitcom character feels really commercial to me; the exact opposite of the majority of music that hip hop is derived from. Don’t get me wrong; irony abounds in the fact that hip hop is a direct product of capitalism.

I shall play with the new categories.

5 Likes

This statement right here attempts to replace the one that came 20 years before it so you’re basically telling me you’re right and I’m wrong. That is anti intellectual if the one positing it doesn’t even know the OG semantics.

I mean there can be slow bangers of the version I’m repping. Perfect example.

Turn that up and tell me I’m wrong. Dilla just absolutely masterclasses “Funky Worm.”

I have never heard of any of these artists.

I have never watched Parks and Rec, so no clue about Tom Haverford’s music preferences.

cliffs: I’m in!

5 Likes

I’ll be in

Someone has to take up a nodium spot

4 Likes

There seem to be some bizarre assumptions here. Is this your argument?

1. “Banger” was originally a hip hop term.
  2. The original definition of a term is the definition that should used today.
  3. From 1 + 2, “banger” in 2020 is and should be used to refer to the hip hop definition from the 90s.

(1) and (2) are both false, as far as I can tell.

(1). “Banger,” even in the 90s, was used across many, many musical subcultures. I can anecdotally tell you that metal heads, punks, ravers, and industrial kids all used this term in the 90s. Hip hop too, of course.

Even if you do think (2) is right, surely you admit it is an unusual view? You don’t think this about other terms. A song can be cool, right, even though the old english cōl refers to a temperature and not a judgment? An “eligible voter” originally meant “white man who owns land and is 21 years of age or older.” Not anymore, of course. What’s so special about “banger?”

But maybe I’m completely misunderstanding you because I have no idea what this means:

I’m not even really a banger sort of guy, or even a walrus sort of guy, but, like, the banger backlash has got me wanting to IN with nothing but BANGERS, or at least my crude estimation thereof.

6 Likes

Feels like an epic walrus in the making now that Wookie is in

1 Like

This is clearly gonna be an agree to disagree. This will be my last post on the matter and you can lastword it.

I visualize music in lights and darks and in shapes. Banger relates to hip hop, metal, and definitely drum and bass in that way. It clearly translates to the aesthetics. Idk about goth or punk rock and I never heard it referenced for those genres. Their structures aren’t modular enough for me to make that connection.

I mean under this new generic, sterilized definiton the person championing it had trouble communicating it in a, checks notes,Walrus dedicated to “bangers.”

Some of this is probably a generational thing. Thinking that Outcast didn’t make “bangers” until after Aquemini; yeah I’m not sure there are many musical takes I could disagree with more vehemently and I give zero fricks about how articulate or coherent my argument is just no.

In fact fuck all these pedantic squabbles; you’re telling me to equate these 2 tracks:

Not happenin. Reminds me of the time Nelly dissed the blastmaster.

“this diss hit so hard Nelly is now doing country music” - top youtube comment

It’s like James Brown vs Elvis etc…

I expect to suck, but dammit, the man wanted BANGERS, and dammit, I’m going to find motherfuckin female vocal 2000s indie rock - country crossovers about loneliness worthy of being on Tom Haverford’s playlist.

2 Likes