Walrus 13: Reveal!!

Unfortunately no. Pretty clear top half/bottom half split again. Take from that what you will.

I will say the judging in this is obviously going to be completely arbitrary and subjective. For me it’s all about three things; how much did I enjoy listening to this, originality of submission, and how much do I want to listen to this again.

2 Likes

Category 2 reveal ETA 1:30 PM CT, so just over 2 hours away.

@R.C @MysteryConman @6ix @cassette @MrWookie @pyatnitski @Pauwl @Rivaldo @FuncrusherPlus @m_hood115

2 Likes

@goofyballer too, darn 10 person tag limit

tease imo

thought we were getting my last place over with

I have no guess whatsoever as to who would have submitted the song that ended up in last. So it’s almost certainly @6ix

I’ll put it like this: I’m super polarized here.

1 Like

So, I’ve been meaning to talk about Radiohead since they were mentioned and by ‘talk’ I mean talk a whole lotta shit.

However, I don’t want it to be construed that I’m just hamming it up to curry favor with Meb.

If you didn’t like my submission, the only thing I can take from that is that something is wrong with you.

my story was not a compliment to the band, not sure i successfully portrayed how pretentious that concert was.

1 Like

This isn’t the start of the talking of the shit, just an aside:

After signing to EMI in 1991, Radiohead released their debut single “Creep” in 1992…

Hail to the Thief (2003) fused rock and electronic music with lyrics inspired by the War on Terror, and was Radiohead’s final album for EMI.

EMI Group Limited (originally an initialism for Electric and Musical Industries , also referred to as EMI Records Ltd. or simply EMI ) was a British transnational conglomerate founded in March 1931 in London. At the time of its break-up in 2012, it was the fourth largest business group and record label conglomerate in the music industry, and was one of the “Big Four” record companies (now the “Big Three”). Its labels included EMI Records, Parlophone, Virgin Records, and Capitol Records, which are now owned by other companies.

Neil Young played a famous gig in London in the mid '70s when Tonight’s The Night was due to be released, an album full of melancholic songs written in the aftermath of the deaths of two of his friends.

He played the whole album, starting with the title track, and not one of the famous songs the crowd were demanding.

For the final encore he announced “Here’s one you’ve heard before” to a crowd eagerly anticipating Heart of Gold or Old Man etc, but they were out of luck - he played Tonight’s The Night again lol.

In contrast to most of the audience, two people there that night enthused about the uncompromising gig and Young’s attitude - Messrs Lydon and Beverley, soon to be known as Rotten and Vicious.

2 Likes

You came for the hits and they gave you Kid “Hey look Thom finally got around to listening to Aphex Twin and Squarepusher” A.

iunno, i find this approach to be anti punk, so not sure what the appeal for Lydon. I’m also quite certain that Ramones complete opposite concerts were much more influential on the UK Punk scene.

Also had to google what “Messrs” is, so I learnt that.

They could do any b-side from any (released) album on the crowd would have loved it. Israel was quite literally the first place Radiohead ever succeeded in (including the UK). They came to do shows here in 93 and Creep was the biggest hit in the country way before it was ever known anywhere else.

So 7 years later they were like ‘ya we gonna charge 50x as much for this concert and play only songs we haven’t released yet’.

Wankers.

I think they just liked his fuck you I’ll play what I feel I want to play attitude, rather than faking emotions.

The Ramones came to London in early '76 and played some seminal gigs that brought some bands together, but the most formative were the early Pistols gigs in London, Manchester and the provinces.

Joe Strummer was at that time in a band called the 101ers (named after the house they were squatting) who were a fairly hum drum pub rock band typical of the mid 70s. He said he knew after about 10 seconds of seeing the Pistols that the game was up, disbanded his band and formed The Clash.

1 Like

I know all that. But I did learn the Messrs thing :)

Did you know that Messrs (ha) Lydon and Beverley were so obsessed with getting Syd Barrett out of his reclusive retreat and into the studio to produce them, that they camped outside his Chelsea house one night?

And now the ■■■■■■ wearing MAGA t shirts.

A bf of my older sister met him once and they didn’t get on. Art students incur his wrath for not being authentically working class enough I guess.

damn i actually missed the Lydon’s MAGA story :((

Alright everybody, it’s about to go down!

1 Like