Walrus 12 or so: sign up thread

Thanks!

For the live performance, does the familiarity rule still apply?

Before I submit this, are we looking for a whole concert or just a song for number 3?

Just a song.

Dammit! Gotta change mine now!

Sorry I’ll be a little slow on the replies here today. We’re having father’s day at my place today.

1 Like

I’ll take time stamps for one song from a full performance if you want.

I won’t penalize familiarity for the live round. I don’t watch a lot of live performances so the particular performance you pick will likely be new to me anyway even if the song is not.

I can fill in on Friday for mjiggy if he is occupied, and we need to send a fresh batch of eleven songs randomized to the host or however it is done. I have thursday and friday off weekly

if there is a need for that

3 Likes

Is there room? In if there is room

1 Like

Yes, you’ll be #11 and we’ll cut it off there.

1 Like

When judging the live performance, are we talking about the audio only? Big part of a live performance is what actually happening on stage or in the crowd.

I’m hoping people will send video, not just Spotify. It will be judged holistically.

@cassette can you elaborate on your punk listening at all?

11 participants.

@seities
@R.C.
@superuberbob
@Yuv
@CanadaMatt3004
@pyatnitski
@TheDuker
@Pauwl
@goofyballer

Please send your submissions to @mjiggy by Wednesday or earlier if possible.

2 Likes

@anon92450360 and @SwankyWilder are also participating. Very annoying that you can only mention 10 users in a post!

In grade 7 I had to learn the trumpet for band. I was terrible and hated it so for some reason my uncle was able to convince the school that he would teach me guitar instead. Each Thursday I would get out of class an hour early and take the bus to his place for an early dinner (usually cheese pizza made on flattened pita bread, lol). And then he would give me guitar lessons.

Saying they were lessons is a bit generous. I spent a couple weeks learning two power chords and then didn’t learn much more in terms of technique for about the next twenty years. Those two chords were enough to be able to play entire discographies: Ramones, D.O.A., early Greenday, Sex Pistols, some Stooges and Bad Religion, a little Rancid and Dayglow Abortions. So we would eat pizza and then jam to 70’s (his picks) and 90’s (my picks) punk albums for a couple hours.

It was a formative experience. From about age 10-12 I was really into Nirvana, Nine Inch Nails, Sound Garden and Motley Crue. Learning to play guitar (shittily) dramatically changed my taste and I pretty much only listened to punk, grindcore, NYC hardcore, and their children for about a decade. It was until well into my twenties that I branched out even at all. I’m trying to make up a lot of lost time now comfortably into my thirties.

9 Likes

lol I realize now that maybe you weren’t asking for a life history. Well I’ll leave it there I guess.

2 Likes

Actually I would have read 5x that with interest!

Thanks, it helps me better understand where our interests in punk have overlap :slightly_smiling_face:

When was the last time you played guitar?

1 Like

When I moved from Canada to California 3 years ago, I sold all my gear. Didn’t play for about two years and then a year ago I picked up an acoustic for messing around on and have been really enjoying it.

2 Likes