Walrus 12 or so: sign up thread

Anyone up for a Walrus?

How it works:
Up to ten participants. Submit one song (youtube or Spotify) to each of the five categories. Collect these all in one pm and send to (a volunteer?) so that I don’t know who submitted what. I will then “rank” them according to my own arbitrary tastes, giving slight preference to songs I haven’t heard before, and assign 10 points for first place, 9 points for second, and so on. The ranking is meant to be fun and an opportunity for some good-natured abuse of my poor taste, but the main idea is for everyone to hear some new music and discuss each others picks.

Here are the categories:

1. A protest song. Don’t submit NWA but anything else is fair game. It doesn’t have to be angry. Both violent and non-violent protests have great options.

2. A calming song. Something for the other pandemic.

3. A live performance. A youtube link is probably best here.

4. A weird song. It doesn’t have to be your buddy’s atonal free jazz cover band, although that sounds good too. Just something unusual, however you choose to define it.

5. A song with a great vocal performance. Calm, weird, loud, whatever. Just looking for something where the vocals are the stand out element.

I grew up listening to mostly punk, metal, and rap. I now listen to almost anything. Favorite bands of the moment are Run The Jewels, Gorilla Biscuits, Fiona Apple, Purple Mountains (damn you Pauwl).

Deadline for sign up and submissions is Wednesday I guess? The sooner you send them in, the sooner we can get to the reveals.

4 Likes

I told myself I was gonna sit this one out when you mentioned it in the Master thread but you picked really cool categories, and I did sit out the Pauwlrus so…I’m in for the possible chance to win a Walrus hosted by my Walrus nemesis.

2 Likes

btw can you elaborate any on your punk interests?

i wasn’t sure if i was gonna do another one of these but it took me about 30 seconds to think of ideas for each so i’ll do it. and probably not win.

1 Like

Id welcome another 8 signups by people who won’t win…

lol Goat

u silly

I have this on DVD with alternate audio, like a Director’s commentary, but this one is the bandmates. iirc Steve said this is an atonal solo from Tony, and it sure sounds like it. At the end, he says that anyone who watched to the end with this alternate audio was a bit guitarded os.

1 Like

In. Will submit within next 24 hours.

Also, who do we PM?

3 Likes

In

3 Likes

Did you just send up my batsignal?

4 Likes

A song pop in my mind instantly for the first category. Decided to search the forum to see if the song/band was in a Walrus before and it was, submitted by cassette (not the same song, but same band and even the same album). Not gonna use that one…

2 Likes

Lacazette snookered you!

We need to wait for a good samaritan to offer to receive and pass on the submissions.

1 Like

Yes, please.

4 Likes

In…for the rail, definitely not submitting. Should be fun to observe though!

2 Likes

In for the win. Score will either be >40 or <10. :grinning:

4 Likes

loooool nice

1 Like

Indeed in.

3 Likes

I can’t resist. Already furiously arguing amongst myself about live performance

4 Likes

People can PM me and I’ll do the anonymizing. Friday is going to be hard for me to send anything however, just FYI, I’ve got a busy shift at work that day.

5 Likes