Video Games

usually trying around 8:30 cst, do you have a discord you can send me?

dont have discord, but im on steam

Rimworld - work on recruiting a prisoner for months, have them join, only to die immediately to a cave in

1 Like

Do any of you have videogame white whales? I mean, games you could never finish, challenges you weren’t able to beat? It occurred to me a while ago that I had Where in the World is Carmen Sandiego as a kid but never actually bothered to catch Carmen Sandiego. Since I am a terrible steward of my time, this weekend I listened to a podcast about rinderpest and ground my way through a free online Carmen Sandiego emulator to finally catch the world’s greatest stealer of national monuments.

cs1

There are no special graphics or animations you get after you catch her. The game just resets and you’re back at it. Also, rinderpest was (is?) a terrifying cattle disease. Colonial Europeans weaponized it and used it to starve and impoverish Africans. The US and the UK both considered using rinderpest as a biological weapon. As it stands now, rinderpest is the second disease to ever be totally eradicated, although some labs do have stockpiles of it.

3 Likes

I got rid of my big one a few years ago when I beat Mike Tyson. I suppose one of these days I want to beat every Final Fantasy. Beat 8 a few months ago. That leaves 1,3,4, and 15 (11 and 14 don’t count). Yeah I’m surprised on 4 as well

I never played Mike Tyson’s Punch Out as a kid because I was a dork, but I remember a classmate telling an epic saga of the one time he finally managed to beat Mike Tyson. It was like any scrub could beat the Big Hippo fellow, but Mike Tyson was said to be crazy hard to beat, this was back in the day of stupid hard NES games.

Funny enough I got very close to the end of 3 and 5 but put them down because I got bored or frustrated or something. I have a bad tendency to finish 90% of something like that.

I spent a summer getting good at Mike Tyson’s Punch-Out!!, and I’m pretty sure I could still beat it today, but I’m still not anywhere near the speedrunners.

Yeah I do this too so not sure whether it counts. As a kid I played tons of the original Might & Magic but never got particularly far with it because it was fairly obtuse. More recently I haven’t beaten the final boss in Hollow Knight and last time I went back my skills has atrophied pretty badly and I didn’t even get close.

He kind of is hard to beat if you dont know the strats.

Beat Final Fantasy on NES last year. Do not recommend the original (remakes are probably vastly improved if you’re not a purist). The beginning of the game is so brutally unfair, it’s hilarious. You will routinely have every member of your party miss their attack or deal a trivial amount of damage (this is all luck based), while enemies hammer you mercilessly.

Once you get stronger, it lessens the luck factor in landing decent damage, but then the game brings in the instant death casting enemies who can wipe out your party before you get a turn (again, it’s luck). This can happen 45 minutes into a dungeon, where there are no saves. Good times.

The only one of the old ones I haven’t played is 2. Would you recommend it?

Mike Tyson’s Punch-Out! is still my proudest gaming moment. I was home from college one break and popped it in the NES after not having played it in a few years. Beat it on the first try, dropped the mic, and haven’t played it since.

5 Likes

No

I had it on GBA and was on some trip where I had nothing else to play. It is not good. All I really remember about the game is that it was kind of funny that finding a weapon in a dungeon would suddenly change a character from worst in your party, to absolute OP for that dungeon.

After I beat Tyson for the first time I didn’t play the game for a year, until I was at a retro gaming expo. Had Tyson on the ropes and choked right at the end. I was ready to drop the mic too…

1 Like

So NES emulator can be done online now

007 373 5963

I’m going to go get my ass kicked some

Shit, that reminds me that on my last playthrough of it, I cleared Hollow Knight and got to Godhome and then… just kinda quit. I’ve done the boss rushes before but I wanted to try them fresh. I was pretty wiped out after Nightmare King Grimm, though; pretty sure he’s the hardest boss in the main game, especially since you have to go in short a charm.

The remakes definitely balance the game better, particularly when it comes to magic use / availability. It’s been a while so I don’t remember what else they added.

The Dragon Quest remakes are a weird one since I like some of the gameplay-convenience and UX stuff they added, but a lot of the bonus content just feels annoying / distracting. I don’t want to play other mini-games in my RPG.

I saw this on Twitter and remembered the discussion here a few days ago. I thought it was pretty funny.

8 Likes

Battletosds is by far my white whale. Some of the levels in that game are just plain unfair, and I’ve beaten the fucking turbo tunnel.

But fuck that level where you have to hang on to the back of a wheel and make about 44639562835 pixel perfect inputs in a row or die.

Fuck that game

have you played the new one?

A little. I’m not a fan at all of the art style, and a lot of combat area turn into a confusing clusterfuck

agree on the clusterfuck.