US Kills Soleimani in Airstrike

Seems like you could draw some reasonable conclusions as to what their targets were using statistical analysis given enough missiles fired at the target.

Porque no los dos?

50m scatter kind of precludes dos.

Yes, and I admit above I’m bad at stats. But my thinking was that if the building is about 40m across (seems a decent sized building), and they targeted several buildings, then with only 15 missiles for the whole strike the chances of any missile hitting its target would be <50%, and given only a few would have been targeting the same building, there just wouldn’t be enough data points to do much.

Perfectly prepared to be very wrong in that reasoning. Seems probable I am!

I assume most missiles have a very fat tailed distribution. A lot of them strike very precisely and a bunch go considerably off course.

No it doesn’t.

I mean you could a bit yeah. Wouldn’t shock me if they were actively aiming away from sleep and recreation areas.

https://mobile.twitter.com/pbump/status/1215122775456829440

1 Like

40m seems like a relatively small building on an airbase. That’s like the airbase Olive Garden.

50/50

(Probably not a loose enough definition of war)

1 Like

Google Maps’ measurement tool says the buildings in the closeup picture are about 125 feet(38 meters) long and 75 feet(23 meters) wide

They went after the base McDonald’s then.

Maybe that was their real retaliation? Putin hates Ukraine. Would they kill their own people to kill a few Ukranians? Probably.

Mistaken target seems most likely to me. They put their air defenses on super alert and they shot down a plane.

4 Likes

I don’t see how it benefits them if it was on purpose. It shows the world they can shoot an unarmed passenger plane in their own airspace? Who can’t? Gotta be an accident

1 Like

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/europe/ukraine-flight-was-on-fire-in-air-and-returning-to-tehran-at-time-of-crash-iran-investigators-say/2020/01/09/9b27434c-3244-11ea-971b-43bec3ff9860_story.html

Oleksiy Danilov, secretary of Ukraine’s National Security and Defense Council, wrote on Facebook that his team wants to search for possible debris of a Russian missile, the Tor air defense missile, after seeing online reports about the discovery of possible fragments of one near the crash site. The reports could not be independently confirmed.

…

Because Boeing jets are manufactured and certified in the United States, U.S. safety officials have the right to participate in the investigation under international rules. However, because of sanctions imposed on Iran, there are additional challenges. Government agencies, including the National Transportation Safety Board, must secure a license from the Office of Foreign Assets Control to be permitted to travel to the country. Experts say securing that license is a complicated process that can take months or even years.

…

Jeff Guzzetti, who headed the Federal Aviation Administration’s accident investigation division until his retirement last year, said preliminary and publicly available evidence, such as witness video of the crash and news organizations’ photos of the wreckage, suggest that the plane was brought down deliberately. He added that the emergence of further evidence could change his view.

“To me it has all the earmarks of an intentional act,” Guzzetti told The Washington Post. “I don’t know whether it was a bomb or a missile or an incendiary device. I just know airplanes don’t come apart like that.”

It possibly benefits their ally - Russia.

I still can’t fathom why you don’t lock down airspace after sending ballistic missiles to bases containing US troops and expecting a possible counter attack. It’s up there with leaving Epstein unguarded with no video after one “suicide attempt”.

I also love how MSM never asks these basic questions and just credulously reports what they’ve been fed.

I’m going to give exactly zero credence to what two anonymous US officials allegedly think might have happened per the Associated Press.

8 Likes

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/middle_east/missile-strike-on-us-bases-did-not-intend-to-kill-says-iranian-commander/2020/01/09/c5c2295c-3260-11ea-971b-43bec3ff9860_story.html

After more than a dozen missiles slammed into the bases early Wednesday local time, both sides for now appear to be stepping back from further conflict.“We did not intend to kill,” said Brig. Gen. Amir Ali Hajizadeh, head of the Revolutionary Guard’s Aerospace Force, according to Iranian state media. “We intended to hit the enemy’s military machinery.” However, he repeated the government’s claim that “tens of people were killed or wounded.” U.S. and Iraqi officials said the strikes caused no casualties.

…

“The bombing of the Green Zone might be an individual reaction, or an attempt by some parties to distort the reputation of the Hashd and shuffle the cards,” he said. “We are calling on those behind the bombing to stop these actions that distort the reputation of Hashd factions.”