UP's Blind Spot for Sexism and Misogyny

I have no heroes as I think the concept is flawed. As for women I admire and respect they would be counted in the tens of thousands or more.

Yes the term hero should of been defined better but I think we all know what the OP was asking.

We just need to understand that humans are flawed. Hero’s are not perfect people.

To me a hero is someone that has a set of guiding principles and strive to live by those principles daily. When they come up short they notice the disparity and try again.

1 Like

I am not sure hero and role model are the same thing.

Edit: so weird I thought the tweet asked about role models not hero’s. I was asking myself why is everyone talking about heroes.

I agree with not having any heroes. What about role models.

I don’t have heroes now but when I was younger Lynn Hill and Catherine Destiville sure where.

Lynn made first free ascent (male or female) of El Cap.

Catherine did a bunch of hard solos in the Alps.

1 Like
4 Likes

Name them. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Nice brag imo :joy:

1 Like

You might be over estimating my prowess somewhat. :joy:

I don’t understand the “I don’t have heroes” sentiment. You all can really drag down a good conversation.

Not quoting anyone directly.

Do you mean what I think you mean by “admire and respect”?

Virginia Woolf, Kim Gordon, AOC, Emma Goldman, my mom, my first grade teacher, Hannah Arendt, and lapka.

1 Like

You are 20 min late for that joke. :grin:

1 Like

Almost all of my male role models killed themselves* so I’m looking up to a lot more women lately!

*David Foster Wallace, Kurt Cobain, Bourdain, Chris Cornell, Plato, David Berman, and my uncle.

1 Like

Do you mean Socrates?

Right, right, that’s sloppy of me. I tend to mix them together as there is some suspicion that a lot of Socrates’ writing was actually just Plato and not Plato recounting Socrates.

My AOC/journalist pairing is AOC and Amy Goodman.

I think my only actual heroes are musicians, and maybe the majority are women.

2 Likes

Heroes are for children.

People are too complex to lump into such simple archetypes.

I think this is my same concern with the idea of heroes. It has this underlying notion of perfection which is so corrosive. Its the same reason I get frustrated with the simplistic categorization of politicians as good or bad on here sometimes. Nobody who has lived a life, especially of public service, can be perfect. Holding anyone to that standard is just asking to be disappointed and or lied to.