UP's Blind Spot for Sexism and Misogyny

I don’t think that’s possible, but I’m going to smoke a fag and think about it.

1 Like

I’m just reporting the claims as they were made.

And I’m just making a (probably poor) joke.

I mean, jesus fucking christ, you guys tore someone a new one for “ghetto blaster”. Would love to see a thread here on ■■■■■■■

Happy to participate if it happens. Have lots of use cases.

I must have missed that one. Where was it?

Big thread - search for “ghetto” or something, I guess.

Thanks. Easier than you expect, it starts at the very first post.

1 Like

The echoes of that thread still reverberate.

This.
Can’t stand racist language though so hopefully we can keep that out of here.

1 Like

That doesn’t seem like cause for recusal to me. It sounds like a well-formed opinion that’s also open to the opinions of others, which is where you should be when talking about making decisions that impact a lot of people.

Also, I think you’re correct to not like slurs against the mentally or physically disabled, and I think this forum should, to use a deliberately indefinite term, frown on those things. The question is if it is better that it is displayed on this forum when someone writes “You’re a retard” to instead display, “You’re a ******.” In my opinion, “retard” does have uncommon but acceptable usages, and the lack of censorship makes it abundantly clear what slur is being used, while abundant censorship and obfuscate whether someone is being called a little ■■■■ or a little shit, which, imo, can have substantially different implications w.r.t. the forum rules.

1 Like

I see what you’re saying, and I admit I wasn’t thinking of the argument that way. I just didn’t want people to think I would automatically condemn the usage of the word because I am female, if you understand what I’m getting at.

Personally, I don’t think we should have a profanity filter (I always turn that off in games I play anyway, lol) for the reason you say, but also, seeing allows us to debate the usage. Of course, those debates can devolve into useless drivel (as we’ve seen) but substantial debate is always welcome.

Honestly, if i were to be offended at all, i’d find the British usage of the word slightly more offensive than the highly taboo American usage. I know that seems weird at first blush, but the clip tabbaker posted gets to the heart of it. I actually don’t think most Americans use the word the way Larry does in the clip, but many Brits do…and the implication that it describes women as weaker and using it as an insult for a man is worse to me than just calling me, a woman, a ■■■■ to my face.

It’s like how a lot of women have reclaimed bitch into something empowering. Yeah, call me a bitch to my face, it means I’m strong and if you don’t like me, well fuck you. But call a guy a “bitch” and it takes on an entirely different connotation.

3 Likes

My wife’s first day as a supervisor was highlighted by a complaint from a female staff member that a male had referred to her as bitch in a conversation with a co-worker. He fought it and it dragged out for 6 weeks and the guy fucking died before it got settled. First fucking day.

well, if someone calls me a bitch behind my back, you bet your ass I’m coming for them.

I guess I’m weird, but if someone calls me names to my face, i usually just laugh. I mean, every time victoar tells me to fuck off on here I cackle for a good 5 minutes.

Am I strange? Is that weird or inconsistent? I don’t know. Maybe it’s a byproduct of being yelled at for my entire freshman year of college.

1 Like

Good news is so hard to find in these times.

5 Likes

I think it’s normal to be ok with someone saying something to your face and not the other way around.

2 Likes

It’s completely understandable to presuppose that people would expect you to be aghast at, and want to censor, every instance of a C U next Tuesday. My solicitation of your opinion was genuine, and having an opinion is not ground for you to recuse yourself. That you buck those expectations is all the more reason to speak up and be included in the conversation. I find your take on the differential usage of the word between the British Isles and the USA surprising, but that’s what I was asking for.

The science should lead you straight to Communism, before the humanities lead you straight away again.

3 Likes

I mean, here in the UK, it pretty much means “buddy” :laughing:

You’re a Brit?