Unstuckables Rewatchables (a movie game)

Have you seen it?

No

I find that there’s very little correlation between how much I like a sport and how well a sport plays as a movie vehicle. At least for me. I care very little about boxing and I think it’s one of the best movie sports.

1 Like

The same for me with virtually any sport. I like watching soccer but am bored with pretty much anything else. A sports movie, though? Sign me up. I don’t like football very much, but Jerry Maguire and Draft Day are excellent watches.

I like both also, though I broke out in hives a little at them being grouped together. Jerry Maguire is a real movie. Draft Day is like they watched a kid manipulating trades while playing Madden franchise mode and then turned it into a movie screenplay. But the campy ridiculousness is ultimately irresistible.

1 Like

He wants his picks back! Irresistible stakes.

Anyway, I thought Slap Shot was good. I probably fall short of great, but I liked it. Hopefully it will be a good episode. I see that CR has it logged as a five-star movie, so lock in one member of the panel.

1 Like

You’ll like it

I liked it. I was long uninterested because it always featured that cover where Sean Penn looks like an insufferable douchebag, and it left me going, “Why would I want to watch this?” And then he’s not even really the lead! Why was his annoying face supposed to be a selling point?

But anyway, it’s plenty deserving of its place in the 80s high school movie pantheon. Breakfast Club > Fast Times > Pretty in Pink IMO. Sixteen Candles was trash, Weird Science was trash.

1 Like

Lol I thought the same thing watching the trailer for the movie. It made it seem like Spic would be the main character, but I guess if it got butts in seats.

I thought it had one of the most honest conversations about sex in a movie at the time. I really felt bad for Jennifer Jason Leigh’s character.

I like how they put Mallory Rubin on a panel and I immediately think, “oh, this movie probably has more sex in it than I realized.” I’m only part of the way through the podcast.

1 Like

Roughly 25 years after my only other viewing, I rewatched The Game recently, hoping to be able to reconcile myself to the utter stupidity of the ending. Meh. My prior view of “engaging movie with an all-time bomb of an ending” didn’t change from an ending standpoint, but instead I did question just how engaging it was. It’s fine.

Listened to The Rewatchables ep about this, which starts with them apologizing away every bad thing about the movie (Sean “gets chills” when he thinks about Michael Douglas asking out Deborah Kara Unger at the end? WTF?), but you can hear over the course of the episode that there was some level of buyer’s remorse for having put themselves in a position to talk about it at length, because if there’s one thing you cannot afford to do with that movie, it’s to scrutinize it or even think about it very much.

1 Like

1 Like

Lifetime, I’ve watched north of 1,400 movies. Slot Weird Science comfortably into my bottom 50.

Disclaimer: I do lack a childhood connection to it that I assume absolutely has to be a hard-and-fast requirement to enjoy it.

1 Like

Which did you watch first, movie or TV series?

I know as a wrestling fan you at least are aware of the series as they used to advertise it heavily during RAW

1 Like

Movie. Never saw the TV series. Wasn’t really aware of it. I learned early during the TekWar days to completely tune out any attempt they made to shill for USA Network shows on there.

1 Like

Even Silk Stalkings?!?!?!?

Its funny. I asked because I prefer the series over the movie, and most 80’s borns tend to have it the other way around, but I saw the series first and then the movie, so I kinda agree with your take, but yeah, the movie is super well received by those who were born around the same time as us or slightly older.

2 Likes

I remember Silk Stalkings being a thing, but never really watched more than a couple of minutes due to overrun or whatever. Maybe it’s because my history teacher watched Raw and would also watch Silk Stalkings, and that made it uncool to me. Unlike JP Sarro, it wasn’t difficult for me to sniff out the fact that Silk Stalkings wasn’t going to deliver what I surely would have been hoping for.

1 Like

As someone who has watched so many movies (you), it still astounds me that I’ve done work for more than half that amount of movies in my career. I don’t even know the number now (don’t count individual stuff like episodes unless they’re cartoons), but without that breakdown it’s probably north of 900. It’s maybe 1200 or so with cartoons and various one-offs under the same umbrella of a title.

1 Like

I made it to the one-minute mark, paused it, and hardly want to proceed. What an absolute clown show by Simmons to start. “Rocky’s super slow.” And CADDYSHACK is his other all-timer sports movie? It’s not even a sports movie! It’s a comedy that happens to have a sport in it. Fucking hell.

I thought Slap Shot was good, but shit.

1 Like