Unstuck’s Playlist A-Z

Screencap is a hybrid drawing of Eva Unit 01 and Galactus

You can see it

I don’t have a clue what those are but I’ll take your word for it.

CAN’s weak spot was their album art which was, even by the standard of the day, quite terrible.

I provided the drawings in my edit

The body of Eva Unit 01 (from the Evangelion anime series) and the screencap are nearly identical while the shape of Galactus’s head (from Marvel Comics) is similar to the screencap as well. There are some small differences but not huge ones.

Can’t forget about Mongolian rock music either

lol I think you’re right!

R-6031405-1468789375-9781

You Stole the Sun from My Heart - Manic Street Preachers

Y is the lamest classical letter, like I’m seriously considering the violin solo from Young Frankenstein

Gonna go with Young Person’s Guide to the Orchestra by Benjamin Britten, but not really—YPG is a set of variations based on somebody else’s original theme: a Rondeau written by Purcell in 1695 (itself written for a play called The Moor’s Revenge in 1676, the only play written by Aphra Behn):

Henry Purcell’s Rondeau from Abdelazer
played on modern instruments
how it sounded at 17th-century burning man (where the man was real) (because the man was a witch)

270 years later Britten used that theme in Young Person’s Guide to the Orchestra, famous today as a way to help folks learn the instruments
YPG with some narration is here

Fwiw for me the best thing ever written as an intro to classical music is Peter and the Wolf by Prokofiev
a version with Bernstein narrating

in general theme & variation pieces are a great way to approach classical—hearing a composer take a tune and bend the colors in a bunch of ways is fun and ends up being super useful for later listening
—some T&Vs are straightforward: Mozart: 12 Variations on Twinkle Twinkle Little Star
—some not so much: Beethoven: 32 Variations in C minor, WoO 80
—it took a year’s listening to this last one before I even started liking it, but now it might be my desert island piece of music: Bach: Goldberg Variations, BWV 988 (btw despite title this is not Bach’s handwriting)

3 Likes
1 Like

Five hours? I’m gonna try to revive this thing. I think I submitted this for a Walrus instrumental and it didn’t do well, but I’m a fan of this 7/8 jam.

1 Like

That’s it, I’m dumping the rest of my Y picks now that it’s late and it’s been dead for 12 hours. Barely got anything for Z anyway.

Usher f. Lil’ Jon and Ludacris - “Yeah!”

Rod Stewart - “Young Turks”

The Hold Steady - “Your Little Hoodrat Friend”

Belle and Sebastian - “Your Cover’s Blown”

Jackie Wilson - “(Your Love Keeps Lifting Me) Higher and Higher”

Hercules and Love Affair - “You Belong”

The White Stripes - “Your Southern Can Is Mine” (Blind Willie McTell cover)

1 Like

zzzzzzzzzzzzzz
ok tempted to go out with two winners from Zelda
(winner #1 [ten hours] & winner #2 [sixty seconds])

but can’t miss the chance to have Z = Mozart’s Die Zauberflöte, aka “The Magic Flute
…Dozens of great moments in this opera, but in 2021, if I can only pick one:

The Queen of the Night’s Vengeance Aria (“Der Hölle Rache kocht in meinem Herzen”)
dramatic version
pretty version

1 Like

Z time then! I think I have one or maybe two more after this.