Unstuck’s Playlist A-Z

It’s been said that the some OG gangsta rappers preferred to refer to the genre as “reality rap”.

Ice Cube brought the heat in 2008. His flow is shit talking at it’s finest while including commentary on imperialism, racism, and climate change, among other topics.

Video is solid. NSFW obviously.

Couldn’t decide, so both:

Bruce’s acoustic version:

1 Like

G = J.S. Bach’s Gavotte en rondeaux on the Golden Record

the golden record: well yall know this already but for context, the space probes Voyager 1 and Voyager 2 are right this instant lumbering through interstellar space at ~35k mph, and each carry a copper phonograph record plated in gold, stored in an aluminum record jacket with a cartridge and a needle and an instruction diagram of how it works etched into the cover:

golden record1

the Record is a mix of images (encoded in analog), ambient sounds from earth, greetings in 55 different languages (starting with ancient sumerian), and then a few dozen songs. Most are cultural/folk music from around the world. The only non-classical western pieces are “Melancholy Blues” (Louis Armstrong), “Johnny B. Goode,” (Chuck Berry), and “Dark Was the Night” (Blind Willie Johnson). Which are fine, solid even, but come on. At the point of Voyager the Beatles are already the Beatles, so if you must make a dad joke that will outlive all dads then at least use Across the Universe. And if Louis Armstrong is in that’s fine too, but in that spot how do you not pick It’s A Wonderful World?

Anyway there are seven classical pieces (three Bach + two Beethoven + Mozart + Stravinsky), and the only one that starts with G is the Gavotte en Rondeaux, which is taken from the third movement of either the Violin Partita #3 BWV 1006 or the Lute Suite 1006a. The Voyager uses the violin version

here’s a live version on acoustic guitar (fwiw my fav guitar version of this is John Williams’s [no relation] but live video is more fun)
here’s the violin version on the golden record, currently being used by the mandalorian as a drink coaster

PS the time capsule comes with this written statement:

This Voyager spacecraft was constructed by the United States of America. We are a community of 240 million human beings among the more than 4 billion who inhabit the planet Earth. We human beings are still divided into nation states, but these states are rapidly becoming a single global civilization.

We cast this message into the cosmos. It is likely to survive a billion years into our future, when our civilization is profoundly altered and the surface of the Earth may be vastly changed. Of the 200 billion stars in the Milky Way galaxy, some—perhaps many—may have inhabited planets and spacefaring civilizations. If one such civilization intercepts Voyager and can understand these recorded contents, here is our message:

This is a present from a small distant world, a token of our sounds, our science, our images, our music, our thoughts and our feelings. We are attempting to survive our time so we may live into yours. We hope someday, having solved the problems we face, to join a community of galactic civilizations. This record represents our hope and our determination, and our good will in a vast and awesome universe.

Jimmy Carter
President of the United States of America
The White House
June 16, 1977

4 Likes

This is a band I used to listen to endlessly. I still do sometimes…

1 Like

btw I’m slammed with work but totally excited to listen through this whole thread when things calm down; expect a bunch of belated hearts eta spring 2021 :snowman_with_snow:

also here’s a non-classical G that I heard a lot last year! Joanna Newsom seems good & weird and imo is redeemed from being Gavin’s second cousin twice removed because she’s married to Andy Samberg

Annabella is my age and I remember this track coming out - I still love the 2nd wild in the chorus line.

I’d heard something of the previous “scandal” but didn’t really know much of the detail but was reading this blog post last night and forgot what a awful human being Malcom Mclaren really was.

anyway - got great memories of this track

Go Wild in the Country - Bow Wow Wow

Annabella-Lwin-of-Bow-Wow-008

yikes, I have a few good G songs…gotta catch up

1 Like
2 Likes

She was a year (or two?) lower than me at school - her brother Simon was in my year.
She was discovered by McLaren in a laundrette down the road in Kilburn iirc.

QOTSA doing a little Elton John

1 Like

A dry-cleaners I think … and I only know that from the blog post I linked to.

One of the most underappreciated voices in rock, imho

Also, I’m not sure what time machine they used when they wrote this song, but that second verse…whew.

1 Like

This song is fun to sing:

I didn’t get this from the movie, but I guess it was part of it? One of my long-time favorites.

1 Like

Fs I ran out of time/space for:

The Flaming Lips - “Fight Test”
Edan - “Fumbling Over Words That Rhyme”
R.E.M. - “Finest Worksong,” “Feeling Gravity’s Pull,” “Fireplace,” “The Flowers of Guatemala”

I don’t listen to much modern music, but this is pure catchy pop and I won’t apologize for having it in my collection. Also, I’m all about videos that have zero men in them :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

Let’s drop the beat.