Ukrainian Derail

Like even after I explained that it was the people dying from covid thread (after having originally said that) you still think I was talking about a drone video? How far into a sentence can you read?

Do not shame proud non-readers.

2 Likes

If you’re talking about what I think has been ghoulish in this thread, it’s a lot more than one video. For one it’s the whole Orcs thing. For another it’s simplicitus and his let them die stuff. It’s the constant glee about war. The stuff that drove off Lapka, who wasn’t against Ukraine defending itself, but thought people were being armchair ghouls about something she had seen up close or at least was close to her family.

If you’re talking about the one video, well, if I post it, you’re just going to be like “That, you’re making a big deal about that! No one talked about that.” and that will you be you being dumb and not understanding what an example is. But this is the video. It was posted here, but I don’t remember when.

Unchanged

Geez. I know your post was not responsive to the post you were responding to. I didn’t reference a video. I’m obligated to spend time figuring out where the fuck you are misunderstanding things and try to answer any possible question that you might have had and your answer is “Unchanged”???

Is this that Sea Lioning thing? Is this that Sartre quote thing?

Or are you just describing yourself? Is this what people were talking about when they said “Semant****ing”?

2 Likes

It was posted here.

I don’t think microbet is doing a great job of arguing his case here, and he can tell me if I’m putting words in his mouth here, but I think the underlying point is that this whole project of “let’s figure out who the Bad People are who need to be Held Accountable” is a project of dehumanizing people so that you can feel better about your own negative emotions towards them. Being able to look at someone dying of COVID for example and be like “lol sucked in, fucked around and found out” depends on your ability to rationalize their death as being deserved because of their choices. If you can’t make this rationalization then you will be forced to confront the fact that you’re just being a sadistic asshole.

The way in which moral desert is assigned aligns SUSPICIOUSLY WELL with which groups of people one has already decided one wants to dehumanize. So people ITT feel loathing and disgust towards the Russian Army, which is fair enough. But the level of like “oh well conscripts should have shot their commanding officer and left Russia and if they don’t it means they’ve Made A Choice” is getting a bit over the top, and the reason for this is that if you believe that, you get to be secretly excited by videos of soldiers getting killed without feeling like a sadist. (This is all very much distinct from hoping that the Russian army is defeated in Ukraine, which if a peaceful end is impossible is what I assume we all think is the preferable end).

If you look at what jman is actually demanding of microbet in that whole STANNING FOR NAZIS part of the thread, it’s nothing about what should actually have happened to Germans (which is what the “should they have gone to prison” question makes clear). It just purely seems to be that jman wants microbet to agree that Nazi soldiers had moral responsibility (in this They Made A Choice sense). But I think (and I think I’m speaking for microbet here too) that this virtually always leads to less moral clarity, not more. The point of avoiding taking this point of view is not some kind of hippie refusal to punish people for crimes, it’s that when you punish people for crimes you do it to achieve a deterrent effect. The point of not doing it is that this “let’s assign moral responsibllity” game is, as I said, just a means to take your own negative emotions and launder them, just be like “it’s good to feel this way, actually, because this is what justice is”.

Not sure I’ve done a great job of explaining this, but fuck it, click Reply.

7 Likes

he gave a reference now and it was very hard to understand what you are seeking reference on when quoting unrelated posts. either ignore him or discuss it.

First off, he didn’t. Someone else did.

Second, I didn’t fucking post that, but I don’t see him going after huehue, instead he’s throwing bullshit at me, goofy and others. In fact, I don’t remember him saying a damn thing about huehue at all.

I think that’s the part about ghoulishness, but I don’t think that really encompasses the whole “danger of blaming the masses” part. I think that’s literally dangerous and not just a matter of correctly assigning blame or excusing ones own ghoulishness. Making the perpetrators others, if indeed you’re talking about millions of people who are obviously very ordinary, is like saying this could never happen with Americans or Australians. We’re different than Germans. And, that sort of thinking can also, the things we did were excusable. We’re not like the Germans. Mostly it’s about looking at why the Germans were like that and how, if at all, are our circumstances like theirs. What are danger signs? War? Patriotism? I think that’s more important than assigning moral responsibility or not.

And I think have done a great job of arguing this case, considering.

2 Likes

I never implied you posted it. Back to you not being able to read.

I didn’t say anything about huehue. I like him. He’s great. That was kind of uncharacteristic of him. But again, in the post you were replying to, I didn’t mention a video of any kind and wasn’t thinking of any video.

bullshit, fuck off.

That’s me implying that you watched it, not that you posted it.

eta: and again this is where I said you were going to be stupid. It’s an example of the ghoulishness of this thread and what you are doing here–like what the people were doing in the dead covid people thread, but I guess I should give up on you understanding anything that complicated.

It’s much worse than that. I didn’t even notice that video, and very likely had no sound on. Again, it’s purely imaginative bullshit from micro.

You’re a very dumb person.

Like, ChrisV, how am I supposed to have explained this better talking to someone like this? Like, I can’t use examples? Analogies are impossible? He’s expecting me to divine things that he’s thinking but not writing? I guess it’s just a waste.

1 Like

Micro dude that video got near no discussion. You can view the link, someone actually posted it. You didn’t even notice it afaict. 20-ish posts from you between today and that video. No one cared about that video. You clearly had it pointed out to you later, and now are trying to use it to sully an entire group of people because you’re bored. GMAFB. Or at least throw it in the face of someone who actually paid it any attention or posted it.

I mean, fuck, you could have said “what video” way back then if that was sticking in your craw. What the actual fuck?

Yeah, I was sort of taking as read that everyone agrees with this part. The dispute is where jman is like but, it’s ALSO important that we acknowledge that Nazi soldiers Made A Choice and therefore Bear Responsibility. But… is it? Like the idea that 1930s Germans were not fundamentally different to other people leads to a whole bunch of conclusions about how to avoid Nazism happening again. What is the consequence of saying They Chose? Are you saying they should go to jail? Apparently not. So, what then? Why is it so important to agree to something that amounts to an emotional framing of what happened?

1 Like

I DID! YOU REFUSED TO ANSWER FOR 20+ POSTS

lol see ya never micro

how does this help your argument? You stated three times that Micro is not providing reference “and there’s a good reason why”. It appears that reason was that microbet sucks at searching, as that video was in fact posted here.

Did you mean to imply that microbet sucks at searching? Because otherwise you probably should apologize for being wrong about his reasoning for not providing a reference here.

He also did not write or imply that you posted it. So the use of “bullshit” here seems fairly misguided.

1 Like