Ukraine, Russia, and the West

Holy shit worrying about a draft in the US is stupid. Any war big enough to need one won’t be able to hold it before the Selective Service office is nuked.

5 Likes

Ukraine’s Defense Ministry claims that they’ve forced Russian forces invading in Sumy to retreat!

yeah, i’m seeing the ukrainian MP also report on Sumi assault.

1 Like

There are incredible scenes on social media of pro Ukraine protests all over Europe and even in Russia, but this one I had to share.

https://twitter.com/nexta_tv/status/1496888351038709760?t=QOY_XCZ1enOPdsMnPFowHA&s=19

4 Likes

For you maybe. For me, probably dumb still, but it’s not zero either. HCDPS is a very real thing and I’m a male in my 30s board certified in a specialty that would be in dire need if there was something as simple as a refugee crisis. During NYC covid they were doing all sorts of crazy stuff but it was volunteer only, and the guard was activated still.

Ukrainian flag colors > Russian flag colors for sure

3 Likes

Ukraine’s Coat of Arms is among the best in the world, right up there with Albania and Haiti.

videos of people in kharkiv are sheltering in subway stations. rocket launches are reported, video of one of those katyusha looking things that fire several of them at once.

their flag is for blue sky and gold fields of wheat. it’s amazing.

30 Likes

Ukraine is launching an assault to retake a key airport outside Kyiv, and an advisor to Zelensky tweeted that they had retaken it then deleted it and said the fight was ongoing.

just to make my personal feelings clear here.

half of my grandparents are originally from Odessa, displaced to Ural during german occupation. other half is from Volga region. i was born in russia. i am actively rooting for russian forces to get their teeth curb-stomped by ukrainian heroes, and all of ukraine to be independent from russia. yesterday i caught myself thinking that i’m in effect a ukranian nationalist. heh.

33 Likes

It’s possible the article was posted upthread, but I couldn’t find it browsing back. Are you referring to this one?

Ukraine took back the airport!

https://twitter.com/KyivIndependent/status/1496950008339484672?t=tNVMu_xN0QN8hAE7zH4JOw&s=19

This account is followed by the former US Ambassador to Russia so I’m assuming it’s credible.

7 Likes

ukranians are posting videos of captured russian soldiers, some wounded, getting treatment. they claim hundreds of russian soldiers are held by VSU

From LinkedIn of all places. Some numbers here I wasn’t aware of - quite a few more reasons for Putin to want control of Ukraine.

4 Likes

nytimes is reporting Russia is going to reverse its ban and legalize crypto, to get around banking sanctions.

STONKS!

Russian An-26 downed in Voronezh region (in russia). could have been hit and turned back

If this is true and it’s also true that the Russian offensive at Sumi/Kharkiv was turned back, that seems to be a pretty big deal concretely and also maybe has favorable Bayesian implications.

It sounds vaguely like the Russian offensive from Crimea is doing well, but if both of the northern attacks stall out, then there doesn’t seem to be anywhere constructive for those forces to go.

VSU blew up a bridge in Kharkiv region to take out a russian route.

reposting video of battles in Sumi. mostly for the choice russian commentary.