Ukraine Invasion 2: no more Black Sea fleet for you

Even if they have 25k, how many willingly sign up for a coup? And while they may have had solid fighters in 2022, most are dead and many of the rest are barely trained convicts. Also, Wagner is kind of a cult, and most people aren’t members. It’s not a repressed ethnic group of the sort that successfully does coups. I fully expect the MOD to start taking harsher measures soon.

Yeah I was thinking about that. It was a huge controversy to defend Bakhmut like they did, and sure seems brilliant in hindsight.

Yeah, the US seemed skeptical but Ukraine knows their enemy much better than US analysts.

1 Like

Playing the hits. Pretty good version of the Hitler Downfall video.

https://twitter.com/KvotheTheArcane/status/1672542001286246404?t=xdqDX87TCmixNystfhuYaw&s=19

1 Like

This moment really needed a solid Downfall meme.

2 Likes

Is it rude for Ukraine to press the attack? idk what the rulebook says when one side erupts into a civil war.

Why try to unite the enemy?

Especially if supplies might be cutting off to them soon

If the Wagner guys feel the Russian military leadership is using them for most dangerous missions with little regard for their lives, I could see them being on board for a coup. If the alternative is go back to the front line and likely die, why not take a chance.

I also suspect you may see Russian military not put up much resistance, as I’m not sure they are really that loyal to Putin - I thought I read that most were poor and joined because they had no better options.

3 Likes

Well, they seem to be building barricades to the south of Moscow and there many arms to the ‘military’. Moscow might not have the same level of military as say Siberia.

Is this not the case in like every country? Not many peeps set out life thinking I wanna join the murder machine

Getaway cash if / when it all goes tits up…

Yevgeny Prigozhin has now confirmed earlier media reports that a large amount of cash was found during raids on one of his offices by Russia’s FSB security service.

And the money found in those raids does indeed belong to the Wagner Group, he says.

In an audio message on his Telegram channel, he refers to one van and two buses loaded with money.

He says these are the funds to cover compensation payments to killed Wagner fighters, and other expences.

“Wagner has been operating for the past 10 years using only cash - as agreed in our contract. I fully adhere to it,” Prigozhin says.

He provided no details about the exact amount - but earlier Russian media outlets said 4bn rubles (£38m; $48m) had been discovered during a raid by the FSB on Prigozhin’s office in the city of St Petersburg.

In pictures: Security beefed up across Moscow

The mayor of Moscow has just asked people to restrict their movements around the capital - rebels from the mercenary Wagner Group appear to be heading towards the city.

Earlier in the day, life was continuing much as normal, albeit with a heavy security presence, and with roadblocks set up to check vehicles.

Some bridges have also been closed.

Here are some pictures from the Russian capital.

1 Like

12 Likes

Sounds familiar lol

I don’t have that much knowledge, but my sense was that while enlisted US military is mostly poor, that isn’t true for lots of officers. Like for my college, we had a ROTC and the people that were in it were all middle class and joined out out patriotism or some other misguided notion.

I have a few friends now that are still in Reserves, and it’s definitely not for the money.

The same dichotomy may exist in the Russian military, but my understanding is that Russia doesn’t have as robust of an officer class as the US.

The Russian military may not be able to offer much resistance atm. They are mostly elsewhere and what is in Prigozhin’s way seems to be lightly armed. Basic chess strategy: not good to leave your king exposed while you engage in a speculative attack.

Word is, Kadyrov’s troops are closing in on Rostov and are about to attack Wagner.

I take this account with a grain of salt but

There are reports first Wagner are reaching Moscow. And that some Russian units are leaving Ukraine.

Weren’t Kadyrov’s forces mostly destroyed in Ukraine and the rest turned and ran away?

I mean, my money is also on Wagner here.

BTW has Trump said anything on this yet?

I believe that most if not all officers are college graduates, so that alone is going to cause an SES divide.

11 Likes